OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 06:10:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 187288 times)
Ohioguy29

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1925 on: October 22, 2018, 06:02:50 PM »

It's that time of the year again: time to read too much into early vote numbers and panic:

https://www.toledoblade.com/opinion/columnists/2018/10/19/blue-wave-early-voting-ohio-election/stories/20181018114?abnpageversion=evoke

(Seriously though, what's up with Cuyahoga.)
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1926 on: October 22, 2018, 08:11:40 PM »

WHY don't we have any quality polls on this race?!  Ohio is a key swing state, yet it's hardly been polled.

Yet, we'll get the ten thousandth poll showing Whitmer up by double-digits, or Laxalt and Sisolak trading leads, or Newsom on his way to victory...
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1927 on: October 23, 2018, 07:48:51 AM »

WHY don't we have any quality polls on this race?!  Ohio is a key swing state, yet it's hardly been polled.

Yet, we'll get the ten thousandth poll showing Whitmer up by double-digits, or Laxalt and Sisolak trading leads, or Newsom on his way to victory...

It’s getting rather late in the game for high quality polling to be conducted, unless something drops here in the second-to-last full week. Both Marist and Suffolk were active over the past month.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1928 on: October 23, 2018, 10:11:52 PM »

Pet of it may also be that pollsters aren’t polling Gov-Sen states where only Gov is competitive...then again they’re polling WI so who knows.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1929 on: October 24, 2018, 07:52:02 AM »
« Edited: October 24, 2018, 07:58:05 AM by THE BuckeyeNut »

Voted by mail the other day, something that may help the downticket Democrats is that, on the actual ballot, they aren’t. Everyone who wants to vote for Sherrod will have to vote for Governor, AG, Auditor, SOS, and Treasurer first. Not sure if it was that way back in 2006 — when Democrats swept all the statewide offices except for Auditor — but if Sherrod is winning in the high single or low double digits, this should be something of a boon. I don’t see how very many people turning out to vote Democrat for Senator could skip FIVE whole races.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #1930 on: October 25, 2018, 08:05:47 PM »

I felt like I had to post this:
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1931 on: October 25, 2018, 10:51:58 PM »

I felt like I had to post this:

WHAT
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1932 on: October 26, 2018, 08:15:07 AM »

Registered Democrat turnout has tripled in deep red but educated and wealthy Butler County, where Democrats have also doubled their share of the early vote.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #1933 on: October 27, 2018, 04:49:52 PM »

Butler County deserves better.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1934 on: October 27, 2018, 08:15:33 PM »

Butler County deserves better.

I think Democrats have about 30% chance of knocking her off. Which isn't great, but it's also about the same chance most people gave Trump. 10 roll of the dice, and we'd take Keller out thrice.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #1935 on: October 28, 2018, 09:44:26 PM »

Just phone banked for the first time, got to see that ticket splitting in action. Yes I'm voting for Aftab and Sherrod Brown, no I'm not voting for Cordray. Luckily Cordray doesn't need to win my congressional district to win statewide.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1936 on: October 28, 2018, 09:59:04 PM »

Just phone banked for the first time, got to see that ticket splitting in action. Yes I'm voting for Aftab and Sherrod Brown, no I'm not voting for Cordray. Luckily Cordray doesn't need to win my congressional district to win statewide.
Cordray needs every vote possible...
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #1937 on: October 28, 2018, 10:02:43 PM »

That's not how gubernatorial elections work. 
Ohioguy29

« Reply #1938 on: October 28, 2018, 10:17:15 PM »

Cordray needs every vote possible...

I'd obviously like everyone who's voting for Brown to vote for Cordray. But in practice you can't convince everyone, and Ohioans love ticket splitting.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #1939 on: October 28, 2018, 10:25:33 PM »

What do you mean? That is indeed how gubernatorial elections work. Total number of statewide votes matters. How well you do in individual congressional districts is irrelevant unless you're running for Congress.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1940 on: October 28, 2018, 10:40:24 PM »

What do you mean? That is indeed how gubernatorial elections work. Total number of statewide votes matters. How well you do in individual congressional districts is irrelevant unless you're running for Congress.

Why are voting for DeWine???

Or are you saying you encountered Brown, DeWine, Pureval voters on the phone? I'm absolutely not surprised by the latter most.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #1941 on: October 28, 2018, 10:46:44 PM »

Why are voting for DeWine???

Or are you saying you encountered Brown, DeWine, Pureval voters on the phone? I'm absolutely not surprised by the latter most.

Oh Lord, definitely the latter! I hate DeWine!
Ohioguy29

« Reply #1942 on: October 28, 2018, 11:28:33 PM »

Steve Dettelbach talks about his Judaism and how state attorney generals can help combat hate groups:

https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/index.ssf/2017/09/i_declare_my_jewishness_in_res.html
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #1943 on: October 28, 2018, 11:34:10 PM »

Sorry was confused on what you were saying.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #1944 on: October 28, 2018, 11:45:11 PM »

Sorry was confused on what you were saying.

You weren't the only one; the fault lies with me for being unclear.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1945 on: October 29, 2018, 04:43:23 AM »

I don't get it either, but isn't that area of the state DeWine's political base? He did win Hamilton County in 2006 while losing by double digits statewide. Obviously, with the Southeastern part of the state going hard right, Cordray will almost certainly have to win Hamilton now if he's going to win. Where is Cordray's base though?
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #1946 on: October 29, 2018, 07:24:58 AM »

Columbus, I think.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1947 on: October 29, 2018, 08:05:01 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2018, 08:08:11 AM by THE BuckeyeNut »

Cordray’s base is the Columbus metro, DeWine’s base in the Dayton metro. Jon Husted, DeWine’s running mate, also has his base in the Dayton metro, while Betty Sutton, Cordray’s running mate, has her base in the Akron metro.

The AG’s race pits Cleveland metro’s own Democrat Steve Dettelbach against the Columbus metro’s Republican David Yost. In the Auditor’s race, both candidates are rural; Democrat Zack Space is from the Appalachian Southeast while Republican Keith Faber is from the Northwest Farmland. In the Secretary of State’s race, both Democrat Kathleen Clyde and Republican Frank LaRose are from the Akron metro. The Treasurer’s race pits Cincinnati metro Democrat Rob Richardson against Robert Sprague of the Northwest Farmlad.

DeWine winning Hamilton County in 2006 has little to do with his base being in the Southwest and everything to do with how damn rapidly the Cincinnati suburbs have changed. The last time Hamilton County went for a Democrat at the Presidential level before Obama was LBJ.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1948 on: October 29, 2018, 08:32:14 AM »

DeWine winning Hamilton County in 2006 has little to do with his base being in the Southwest and everything to do with how damn rapidly the Cincinnati suburbs have changed. The last time Hamilton County went for a Democrat at the Presidential level before Obama was LBJ.

That may be, but there's almost certainly bleed over between the Cincinnati and Dayton metros just as there is between Cleveland and Akron.

For such a polarized state, I am surprised to see the race deadlocked in the low 40s as opposed to the high 40s (like Florida when it was close). If we win the turnout race nationwide, I think we win OH-Gov by a couple points. Something really doesn't feel right about calling this race a toss-up. I'm wondering if Ohio could be the sleeper state that produces a massive Democratic resurgence.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1949 on: October 29, 2018, 10:37:13 AM »

That may be, but there's almost certainly bleed over between the Cincinnati and Dayton metros just as there is between Cleveland and Akron.

For such a polarized state, I am surprised to see the race deadlocked in the low 40s as opposed to the high 40s (like Florida when it was close). If we win the turnout race nationwide, I think we win OH-Gov by a couple points. Something really doesn't feel right about calling this race a toss-up. I'm wondering if Ohio could be the sleeper state that produces a massive Democratic resurgence.

Eeeeh. Not exactly. Cleveland-Akron overlap because they're part of the same media market. Dayton and Cincinnati are not. DeWine might do a bit better in Warren than he would otherwise, but any local boost won't actually carry over into Hamilton County.

And I would not count on it. Ohio remains very elastic, but the efforts of the coordinated campaign seem to be making nobody happy here. Which is the same as it was in 2016, and the same as it was in 2014. I expect some bright spots next Tuesday, and Sherrod will obviously be winning re-election, but I am not getting my hopes up. Better to be pleasantly surprised than crushed.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies