‘No surprise’: US students slam Biden’s comments on Gaza encampments
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:20:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  ‘No surprise’: US students slam Biden’s comments on Gaza encampments
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: ‘No surprise’: US students slam Biden’s comments on Gaza encampments  (Read 1011 times)
Agafin
Cameroon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2024, 03:24:04 PM »

The entire world condemns the Biden's administration response to these protests... except for atlas.

Laughable for a so-called democracy since the right to protest (which is a constitutional right!!! in your country) is essential in a democracy.

When there is no longer a right to protest, there's no democracy... And no it's not trump's fault this time that your democratic rights are at stake.

You must be badly informed. USA’s guarantees on free speech have ALWAYS existed to protect White Supremacists and Neonazis ONLY as whiteness is the pilar structure on which the country was built on. You can freely protest for stuff that the elites already want.

A bunch of kids having an opposite opinion of their government don’t have these protections and they never really had if you look at how past protests of this kind (Vietnam; Iraq) were treated in their time.

Nah this is blatantly untrue. America has by far the most liberal free speech laws in the whole world. No really country is more accommodating of differing opinions tbh.

These students are just crying because the universities wouldn't let themselves be occupied.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2024, 04:01:04 PM »

The entire world condemns the Biden's administration response to these protests... except for atlas.

Laughable for a so-called democracy since the right to protest (which is a constitutional right!!! in your country) is essential in a democracy.

When there is no longer a right to protest, there's no democracy... And no it's not trump's fault this time that your democratic rights are at stake.

You must be badly informed. USA’s guarantees on free speech have ALWAYS existed to protect White Supremacists and Neonazis ONLY as whiteness is the pilar structure on which the country was built on. You can freely protest for stuff that the elites already want.

A bunch of kids having an opposite opinion of their government don’t have these protections and they never really had if you look at how past protests of this kind (Vietnam; Iraq) were treated in their time.

Nah this is blatantly untrue. America has by far the most liberal free speech laws in the whole world. No really country is more accommodating of differing opinions tbh.

These students are just crying because the universities wouldn't let themselves be occupied.

Imagine actually believing that.

MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -6.61

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2024, 04:24:23 PM »

Horrible people. They above everyone deserve Trump.

Yup, at this point that might be true.

But overall it's just exemplary for the spirit of our time, that complicated issues and conflicts are seen through a black or white lense. Especially in this conflict there's a lot of grey. Unfortunately society seems to have increasing difficulty to form a more balanced opinion. I can understand such a mindset with regard to Ukraine, where you have a clear right vs. wrong side, this conflict though is much more complex.

There are shady people on the Ukraine side that have gotten a pass by the mainstream media. Alexei Navalny gets treated with kid gloves by liberals as some political prisoner, when the man hold deeply racist views that would be frowned upon by that crowd, if they cared to listen to the dissection. Cornel West made a lunatic tweet hailing him in the same breath as Leonard Peltier and Mumia Abu Jamal, two political prisoners who have been oppressed by the systematic racist justice system, who Navalny would surely hold in contempt.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2024, 05:52:12 PM »

Yeah this isn't a straw man argument or anything...
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2024, 05:54:44 PM »

Imagine sharing TRT as a supposed "source". LOL.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2024, 06:10:29 PM »

Hopefully Trump sends in the national guard to clear these kids out once he's back in office. They'll be so shocked!

They are going to be in for such a rude wake up call next year.

You can only have so many rude awakenings before you're just woken up. I don't think many young people will be surprised when Trump oppresses them, but many were pretty surprised by Biden's actions these past few months.

I want to second this.

If you're asking those protesting whether they think Trump would be better than Biden on Palestine, I have to imagine 85% of them would say "no." It's not like these kids are going off to vote for Trump (or at least, I hope to God these kids aren't) - it's that they disapprove of the way Biden's been handling it.

many of them might not vote.

I wouldn't be surprised. I wish they would consider voting, as there are candidates with whom they may generally agree with, but I suspect many just won't vote at all, which, in my personal opinion, is a shame and a waste.

That said, that's their choice. If someone doesn't want to vote, that's their own business.

It's absolutely no more shameful or wasteful than voting third party.

There's no logical argument you can possibly make that it's better than voting third party, sorry.
MichaelM24
Rookie
United States

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2024, 06:23:18 PM »

Hopefully Trump sends in the national guard to clear these kids out once he's back in office. They'll be so shocked!

They are going to be in for such a rude wake up call next year.

You can only have so many rude awakenings before you're just woken up. I don't think many young people will be surprised when Trump oppresses them, but many were pretty surprised by Biden's actions these past few months.

I want to second this.

If you're asking those protesting whether they think Trump would be better than Biden on Palestine, I have to imagine 85% of them would say "no." It's not like these kids are going off to vote for Trump (or at least, I hope to God these kids aren't) - it's that they disapprove of the way Biden's been handling it.

many of them might not vote.

I wouldn't be surprised. I wish they would consider voting, as there are candidates with whom they may generally agree with, but I suspect many just won't vote at all, which, in my personal opinion, is a shame and a waste.

That said, that's their choice. If someone doesn't want to vote, that's their own business.

It's absolutely no more shameful or wasteful than voting third party.

There's no logical argument you can possibly make that it's better than voting third party, sorry.

I'm sorry, but I think that's purely your viewpoint. I've voted third party many times, and I think it's been the best and most logical option each time.

You may not agree with it, but pretending there's absolutely no strategy behind doing such doesn't seem in good faith.
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2024, 07:02:00 PM »

This is a painfully online take that is utterly out of touch with the real world. Pick 10 people off any street, and I guarantee at least 9 will tell you that free speech doesn't give you the right to occupy private property in the name of some ridiculous and at times openly antisemitic crusade.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2024, 07:30:55 PM »

These people can't be negotiated with. The only choice is to figure out how to win without them, and then be prepared to fight them.

Are you referring to college students, or Muslim citizens who oppose the Israeli War?

Both groups are citizens. Why would we need to fight either?

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies