What's the last movie you've seen? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:20:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 635395 times)
Politico
YaBB God
« on: September 20, 2011, 10:55:07 PM »

Drive, and it is the best film I have seen this year. I am likely going to see it again this weekend.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 11:32:44 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2011, 11:35:32 PM by Politico »

Moneyball: Excellent flick. I would not be surprised if Pitt gets an Oscar nomination. Maybe even better than Drive, but a completely different film altogether. Jonah Hill was not bad, but they could have done better as Hill is out of his element by being serious rather than comedic (casting him was probably necessary to pull in certain demographics). He is a joke next to Hoffman and even Pitt. However, everything else is AAA, making this a must-see on the big screen (Note: I am not a baseball fan, but I still loved this movie).

The Debt: Good movie with a terrible Hollywood-style ending. Still worth a rental, though.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 12:10:38 AM »
« Edited: October 22, 2011, 12:18:34 AM by Politico »

The Ides of March

Very well acted and plotted movie, though people who pay as close attention to politics as us will be so irked by minor details. The thing that bugged me was the idea that George Clooney's character was basically an open agnostic and yet the frontrunner for the presidency.

Yeah, that was quite unrealistic and very hard to get over (Even though I share the character's viewpoint on that particular issue). I thought the film just ran through the motions at the beginning, but it did not end too shabbily. However, *SPOILER ALERT* I expected the house of cards to come crashing down on Gosling's character by virtue of the traceable nature of cell phones, but I also like to think he confesses to everything during his final interview...how could he possibly live with himself otherwise? *END SPOILER ALERT*

I especially enjoyed Hoffman's performance and his dialogue on loyalty. Also, Giamatti was amazing.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 06:06:11 AM »

12 Angry Men (1997). Not as good as the 1957 version, but still very good.

Since the script was left untouched (as far as I can tell), and the story remained exactly the same, it's hard to say whether the remake is actually "worse" than the original.

Acting, cinematography and ultimately direction count.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 11:18:38 AM »

Midnight Run (1988):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095631/

I recommend it if you're looking for something with a few laughs, nothing too serious, etc.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 10:23:33 PM »

Same here. I thought it was a very nice collection of action set pieces. Nothing more, nothing less.

Also the black chick was very hot.

This.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy will probably be my next.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 09:00:52 AM »

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Quite good. I might read the book and check out the mini-series.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 09:51:05 PM »

Gary Oldman is finally an Oscar-nominated actor.  The academy is now slightly less of a joke.

I wouldn't call the Academy a joke, but I certainly agree that Oldman was long overdue. I especially enjoyed his performance as George Smiley. Hopefully he wins.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »

The Descendants. I highly recommend it if you like dramas. Great mixture of drama and comedic relief. Much better than Clooney's other big release last year (i.e., Ides of March).
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 06:01:06 PM »

A Serious Man.  We watched it yesterday.  Anyone see that?  I felt that it lacked denouement.  The characters were well developed, but the story was incomplete.

I've seen it. While I see your point I still loved the movie for the ride it gave.

I feel the same way.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 07:39:18 PM »

The Artist. Interesting experience. Poignant film. I am not sure if it is a gimmick or not, though. Only time will tell (i.e., will people talk about it five years from now?)

The Descendants is better, though.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 06:29:40 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2012, 06:44:37 PM by Politico »

The Grey. Again.

Truly awesome.

Coincidentally, it could be an allegory for the 2012 Republican primaries/caucuses with Liam Neeson playing Mitt Romney, and the wolves representing Democratic Party special interests with Alpha Wolf Barack Obama and Omega Wolf John King (Think back to Newt's response to John's debate opener a few weeks ago). One of the human characters is even a black guy whose fate resembles the whimpering exit of Herman Cain. And look at how closely the "final four" in the movie parallel Mitt, Rick, Newt and Ron Paul LOL

READY FOR THE ALPHA WOLF
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 10:06:21 PM »

The Grey. Again.

Truly awesome.

Coincidentally, it could be an allegory for the 2012 Republican primaries/caucuses with Liam Neeson playing Mitt Romney, and the wolves representing Democratic Party special interests with Alpha Wolf Barack Obama and Omega Wolf John King (Think back to Newt's response to John's debate opener a few weeks ago). One of the human characters is even a black guy whose fate resembles the whimpering exit of Herman Cain. And look at how closely the "final four" in the movie parallel Mitt, Rick, Newt and Ron Paul LOL

READY FOR THE ALPHA WOLF
You bring up a CNN Debate Host here, and it's John King!! 

Well, if you saw the way the troublemaker of the group (Gingrich) took care of the omega wolf (John King) after his surprise attack, you would get the joke I am making.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 10:08:45 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2012, 10:23:53 PM by Politico »

The Grey. Again.

Truly awesome.

READY FOR THE ALPHA WOLF

I think this is final proof that you must be a total fraud... It was truly appalling, incredibly lazy film making...

How so? I thought it was well done. I was expecting MUCH less. I was expecting a mindless popcorn flick, a mere escape from reality with a few good unintentional laughs, and actually got a bit of substance with a few emotional moments (e.g., the plane crash and the ending). The acting, music and cinematography were outstanding, especially for an action-adventure film. It is a better film than probably half of the films that garnered a 2012 Academy Award nomination for Best Picture. It is one of the best January releases I have ever seen. It received nearly 80% on Rotten Tomatoes for a reason.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What did you think of these two? I quite liked them. Not sure how The Artist is going to be remembered in the future, though. Strikes me as a bit "gimmicky." I feel like The Descendants is a better film, but The Artist will probably win Best Picture.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 10:25:04 PM »

What's your problem, Mr. Stuck in 1977?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 03:40:35 AM »
« Edited: February 18, 2012, 03:54:24 AM by Politico »

I saw most of The Grey and considering that I had basically no interest in it prior to seeing it, I was kind of blown away by it. It's a dark, interesting film

THANK YOU! I was beginning to think I was the only one on here. By the way, I hope you caught it on the big screen because I imagine it's much more powerful in the theater.

A highly underrated little gem that is going to be unwatched by many who would be surprised by how good it is. They marketed it to get in the January movie crowd, but it is easily one of the best January releases of modern times. I might even go so far as to say it would have got an Oscar nod for Best Picture had it been released in December. I thought I was going to get "LIAM NEESON KICKS WOLF ASS! LIAM NEESON IN THE MOVIE TAKEN MEETS SARAH PALIN'S ALASKA!" but it really is a rather dark, interesting film with some truly poignant moments. Not many films do as good of a job of portraying survival, and dealing with death. I almost got teary-eyed at one particular moment near the end (and anybody who has seen it knows which scene I am talking about; anybody who does not get somewhat emotional during that scene has obviously never lost a loved one before, or did not pay attention to the rest of the movie). There is also a moment of pure horror in the film: I had my hand stuck in the popcorn bowl, mouth wide open, from the beginning to the end of the plane crash. I do not think I have ever seen a scarier portrayal of a plane crash before with the possible exception of the very end of United 93. I reflected upon the movie for quite awhile afterward, too. You know a movie is powerful when it basically forces you to think about it afterward. Not a cinematic masterpiece by any means; simply a really good movie that kicks the sh**t out of your expectations.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 08:36:14 PM »

it's better than Wall Street II in this regard at least.

What an abomination of a film.

Wild Wild West.

I hadn't seen it since I was about four or five. Hilariously cheesy. Probably ruined Steampunk movies forever.

Yeah, I'll never figure out who thought it was a good idea to put Will Smith alongside Kevin Kline in a steampunk movie. What an odd move. One of the few missteps of Smith's career.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies