Do you consider yourself a moderate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:47:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you consider yourself a moderate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: ...
(R) Yes

(R) No

(D) Yes

(D) No

(L) Yes

(L) No

(I) Yes

(I) No

(O) Yes

(O) No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Do you consider yourself a moderate?  (Read 5181 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2005, 04:55:50 PM »

Yes, because there are issues such as affirmative action, trade, and welfare reform, I'm very pragmatic on being my position is very difficult to pinpoint.

I don't think three issues are enough to make you a moderate.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2005, 05:00:27 PM »

I consider myself right of center, but not right wing.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2005, 06:03:14 PM »

FarL   MainstreamL  ModerateL  Center  ModerateR MainstreamR FarR

I think that works better than trying to explain my opinion. I do like Scalia's opinion of what Moderate means as far as judges. "Intepreting the Constitution halfway between what it really means and what you would like it to mean."
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2005, 06:47:36 PM »

10 years ago, I would be considered moderate. These days, I'd be considered borderline liberal.

You're a delusional hack ala bandit.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2005, 01:37:49 AM »

FarL   MainstreamL  ModerateL  Center  ModerateR MainstreamR FarR

I think that works better than trying to explain my opinion. I do like Scalia's opinion of what Moderate means as far as judges. "Intepreting the Constitution halfway between what it really means and what you would like it to mean."

In this case-

Economically: between Mainstream L and Moderate L
Socially: Far L/Mainstream L
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2005, 01:54:49 AM »

Nope
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2005, 12:10:43 PM »

Absolutely.
MissCatholic

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2005, 12:29:05 PM »

Lets look at the issues.

Government spending - spend what you can afford. so given $1 you spend $1 not $1.50 Moderate

Taxes - Cut them if the economy needs a boast/or you have a surplus. Moderate/Fair

Education - you must fund this. Every child has the right of adecent education. Its the only way out if your raised in poverty. V.Liberal

Healthcare- every citizen has a right to have healthcare not who can afford it goes first. first come first serves. V.Liberal

Environment - Protect certain areas, but dont hinder buisness. Environments usually improve. Look at WY,MT, ID where logging has improved ecosystems. Anwar was a smokescreen and it was RIGHT to approve drilling. Moderate/Conservative

War in Iraq- it was morally right, but so invaded Zimbabwe, Uzebekistan, North Korea. But it was illegal - liberal

Immigration - build a huge wall along the mexican border. if you dont like it tough. these illegals are breaking the law. conservative

Trade - we must protect jobs in America. Outsourcing is continuing to increase under Bush. Alienating typical Rep voters. Increase tariffs on China textiles etc to protect jobs. Conservative/Moderate.

Abortion - its a sin. so abolish roe vs Wade and let states decide. conservative

Guns- absolutley how can the police protect those in rural areas if you banned them the criminals would have them all. I would rather have one when i need it than not have one at all.

Patriot Act - abolish it. If an FBI agent comes into my home without my permission and i shoot him. i go to prison. democrats should have used this issue against bush. nra would go mad if a dem put that law into place.

Drugs - legalise pot. Whats the point in not.

Assisted Suicide - Terri Schiavo yes. most cases though no but its a private matter.

Death Penalty - 1 month after conviction all child molesters are sent to death. Murders/rapists can be helped.

Stem Cell Research - why not! if they are going to be thrown away why not use them but dont go to extreme. More funding publicly if a private company gets it then we are all in trouble.

Religion - has no right to get involved in politics. The us government should buy an island and put Moore, Dobson, Robertson and Falwell on it and left to die.

Favourite Senators
Mary Landrieu
Blanche Lincoln
Lindsay Graham
Chuck Hagel
Russ Feingold - not spineless for voting against patriot act.

nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2005, 01:24:04 PM »

Trade - we must protect jobs in America. Outsourcing is continuing to increase under Bush. Alienating typical Rep voters. Increase tariffs on China textiles etc to protect jobs. Conservative/Moderate.

That's a pretty liberal look on trade.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2005, 02:28:22 PM »

The breakdown is similar to the one in the whole electorate. A Democrat who is as liberal as a Republican is conservative is more likely to consider themselves moderate, after realizing that liberal is a word with a negative connotation to the American public.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2005, 04:26:35 PM »

The breakdown is similar to the one in the whole electorate. A Democrat who is as liberal as a Republican is conservative is more likely to consider themselves moderate, after realizing that liberal is a word with a negative connotation to the American public.

The same goes for the word "Independent". "Independents" are not politically independent--they are weakly partisan Democrats who refuse to associate themselves with the hard-left Democratic Party of today.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2005, 04:32:20 PM »

Moderate is code word for "lacking balls".
Definitly.  Sometimes I'm a bit centrist, but in no way am I a bland moderate.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2005, 04:47:04 PM »

Or.... they realize that they aren't actually liberal at all?  Or conservative either for that matter.  Neither are terms that I would be particularly proud to call myself.  Embarrassed, more likely.

The same goes for the word "Independent". "Independents" are not politically independent--they are weakly partisan Democrats who refuse to associate themselves with the hard-left Democratic Party of today.

Why the partisanship?  Why can't Independents be "weakly partisan" Republicans who refuse to associate themselves with the hard-right Republican Party of today?  Both are as bad as each other, and both are helping break this country clean in two.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2005, 05:00:11 PM »

Or.... they realize that they aren't actually liberal at all?  Or conservative either for that matter.  Neither are terms that I would be particularly proud to call myself.  Embarrassed, more likely.

Why the partisanship?  Why can't Independents be "weakly partisan" Republicans who refuse to associate themselves with the hard-right Republican Party of today?  Both are as bad as each other, and both are helping break this country clean in two.

Except that, according to most surveys, "Independents" are well to the left of most Republicans on social factors, and only slightly to the right of the Democrats. Economically, they favor Democrat positions more strongly--usually much strongly--than the Republicans'. As a whole, they even dislike the idea of cutting taxes. So, my assessment of "Independents" as lapsed Democrats is not mere partisanship.

A generation ago (say, 1980), "Independents" would have been just another segment of the Democratic coalition. It was only recently that 'Democrat' has become nearly as strong a pejorative as 'liberal' is, so those weakly partisan Democrats have naturally disavowed their connection to the Democratic Party and now call themselves "Independent"

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2005, 05:11:56 PM »

Except that, according to most surveys, "Independents" are well to the left of most Republicans on social factors, and only slightly to the right of the Democrats. Economically, they favor Democrat positions more strongly--usually much strongly--than the Republicans'. As a whole, they even dislike the idea of cutting taxes. So, my assessment of "Independents" as lapsed Democrats is not mere partisanship.

I don't fit those categories.  I guess you could say I'm 'independent of the Independents'. Wink

In any case, it's hardly appropriate to categorize a group that by definition ought not to be categorized.  For example, look at Ross Perot and Ralph Nader.  You could hardly dump them in the same category, other than 'Independent', obviously.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies