PolySci Study: the one indicator that matters for Obama's reelection
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:13:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  PolySci Study: the one indicator that matters for Obama's reelection
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PolySci Study: the one indicator that matters for Obama's reelection  (Read 333 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2011, 05:33:21 PM »
« edited: October 07, 2011, 05:40:33 PM by jmfcst »

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2011/10/07/obamas_re-election_chances_could_turn_on_one_key_indicator_111594.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

---

basically, what I said a few days ago

...there is not going to be economic growth for the next 6 months and the UE rate will be increasing....that already baked into the cake and there's not anything anyone can do about it....so, unless you're envisioning blockbuster economic growth starting in June 2012 with job gains >300k from June 2012 through Oct 2012....there is NO WAY Obama can win this election unless the GOP nominee gets caught with a live boy in his bed.

Incumbents are owned by the undercurrents because incumbents are held accountable for the prevailing conditions of the country: Reagan’s landslide, who was tied in the polls in Nov ’83, was sealed by the undercurrents that were at work 12 months prior to the election…same with Bush41’s defeat…same with Cliinton’s reelection.

So, while Obama may get a few brownie points for admitting “Americans are not better off than they were four years ago”, he still has to follow that sentence with “we've been able to make steady progress to stabilize the economy”, because Obama understands that although he will be given a pass on the first 2.5-3.0 years, he will win reelection or be defeated based on his record over the final 12 months leading up to the election.

Fair or unfair, that’s the way the cookie crumbles for incumbents of the White House.

milhouse24
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 04:12:29 PM »

Well, the next 6 months are still going to suck, and I think it would be a miracle for the economy to improve even a little bit in June 2012.  I think people are going to feel the pain for the next 6 months and while the sun might shine a little bit in June, if the GOP nominee can have a strong campaign from January to June, then the GOP candidate can pull of the victory.  I just think the probability of an economic rebound in June 2012 is low.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies