Walking for President; Lodge 64 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 01:52:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Walking for President; Lodge 64 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Could Jr. win?
Yes

Not a chance

Maybe

If his opponent was JFK

He'd do better than Barry

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Walking for President; Lodge 64  (Read 3526 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 28, 2012, 02:48:58 PM »

Map would be somewhat reversed. Instead of Goldwater getting the South and AZ, we see Lodge get VT, ME, and maybe NH. But as far as I'd say, that's it. LBJ wins a landslide reminiscent of the 1936 map, or if Lodge is lucky, the 1940 map.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 02:54:11 PM »

Map would be somewhat reversed. Instead of Goldwater getting the South and AZ, we see Lodge get VT, ME, and maybe NH. But as far as I'd say, that's it. LBJ wins a landslide reminiscent of the 1936 map, or if Lodge is lucky, the 1940 map.

How bout Lodge vs. JFK: the rematch?  Might he carry NY or MA?  How about Lodge / Goldwater vs. Johnson / HHH?

With JFK, Jack is gonna be rockin' his home state, even against Lodge. He won by a good margin in 1960 and whatnot. Lodge is gonna probably pull a Ford in New England: Take VT, NH, ME, and CT. I tend to think that Goldwater is too much the leader of his movement to be made VP. Instead, it could end up with one of his surrogates maybe. Paul Fannin of Arizona, Miller of New York, etc. Assuming JFK can keep his affairs under wraps, he's crusing to re-election no matter what.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 03:03:35 PM »

Man, why ya hatin' on JFK? Sad Lodge never really cared about the Presidency, but if he did get off as his white Massachusetts ass to actively campaign, I doubt he'd excite the base that much. Conservatives were organizing throughout the early sixties in preparation to beat back Rockefeller and start a revolution. With Lodge, that's one more disappointment. While I like the man more than Rocky, when he joined the Senate he was known as one of the new class of post-New Deal moderates and in later years (1952), he was known more as a relatively fiscally conservative, but foreign policy moderate Senator. He'd probably try to pull a Nixon and unite the party around its center, but probably fail.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 03:07:42 PM »

Man, why ya hatin' on JFK? Sad Lodge never really cared about the Presidency, but if he did get off as his white Massachusetts ass to actively campaign, I doubt he'd excite the base that much. Conservatives were organizing throughout the early sixties in preparation to beat back Rockefeller and start a revolution. With Lodge, that's one more disappointment. While I like the man more than Rocky, when he joined the Senate he was known as one of the new class of post-New Deal moderates and in later years (1952), he was known more as a relatively fiscally conservative, but foreign policy moderate Senator. He'd probably try to pull a Nixon and unite the party around its center, but probably fail.
I love the Kennedy's; I'm just trying to think of someone who could crash and burn less than Goldylocks in 1964

Lots of people could do it less. few to nobody could actually win under OTL circumstances.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 05:24:14 PM »

Lodge vs. JFK the rematch?  Lodge was Nixon's running mate in 1960.

Yep, and he was defeated by JFK for senate in 52.  So I was also thinking: would MA be close?  What if Lodge ran for Governor of MA in 58, wins, and then challenges Kennedy as a moderately popular 3-term governor of his (and JFK's) home state?

1960 demonstrated that it was the Kennedy's and such that had sway in MA. Only twice since then has MA gone Republican, and the first was by less than 50%, and both were during land-slides. It wasn't even close in 1960 as I recall.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 05:44:09 PM »

Maybe make it "reasonably close", but I don't think seriously contested.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies