Jindal Excites GOP As a Possible Running Mate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:40:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Jindal Excites GOP As a Possible Running Mate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jindal Excites GOP As a Possible Running Mate  (Read 12695 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: July 18, 2008, 02:30:11 PM »

One of the major problems that hinders the acceptance of evolution is simply that it is not a reasurring, comforting belief.

An all powerful, benevolent, thinking creator that rewards its creations with life after death fills the heart with warmth.

The thought of our existance being a mathematical improbability where we are constantly controlled on some level by evolutionary psychology (with a noticable pressure towards some segments of the population simply not breeding and disappearing from the gene pool) and constantly lead towards an inevitable finish line where our molecules are broken down, dispersed, and recycled into peat moss just isn't as comforting, regardless of how clear the single-celled organism -> multi-celled organism -> lower-intelligence beings -> higher-intelligence beings flowchart looks.

One of the major problems? Yes, I realize theories like this will have other (intellectual) caveats, but I think you've hit the main nail on the head, really.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 02:38:09 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

One of the major problems? Yes, I realize theories like this will have other (intellectual) caveats, but I think you've hit the main nail on the head, really.
[/quote]

I'm curious (I've been writing too long to try to think right now Tongue), but what other major problems do you have in mind?
[/quote]

The same problems that all philosophical assertions about what cannot be directly observed have. That one can not really "know" what is being talked about, only reason that this is how it probably is and construct theories with some predictive power. It is still quite possible that some intelligent being designed the world.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies