Anyone here old enough to remember the 1984 presidential election? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 04:31:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Anyone here old enough to remember the 1984 presidential election? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone here old enough to remember the 1984 presidential election?  (Read 6736 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« on: December 07, 2007, 02:47:45 PM »

I was reading an article the other day about the 1984 Democratic primary race.  You know, the one with all these goofy characters like Mondale, Gary Hart, Jesse Jackson, etc....but one candidate in partucular seemed to stick out from the pack: former Florida governor Reubin O'Donovan Askew.

The thing that striked me about Askew is that on paper, he seemed to be the perfect Demcoratic candidate:   

1.  exectutive experience
2.  was at the forefront of the civil rights movement and championed school desegregation in the South (thus sowing his progressive/liberal credentials)
3.  was a moderate governor who according to a Harvard study was one of the best US governors OF ALL TIME,
4.  "presidential" good looks
5.  former Army paratrooper

The funny thing is, he finished NEAR LAST in Iowa caucus and NH primary, and soon dropped out of the race.   My question to those who might remember:  why?   Did he have a squeaky voice?  Was he dull?  Was he four feet tall?     Why was it that he got surpassed by all these worthless senators like Hart, Eagelton, and Jimmy Carter-clone Mondale?

Likely the lack of an organization or money. Mondale had the establishment behind him, Hart was new and charismatic, I can't make a claim for Eagleton. Jackson had the minority vote... What was left if this guy didn't have cash?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies