Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules." (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:23:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules." (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."  (Read 224675 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: February 15, 2015, 07:40:44 PM »

LOL people believing in the story of Adam and Eve in 2015.

one of my best friends believes in Young Earth, historical Adam, historical Noah and flood.  he's also a computer engineer, not a two-bit sponge.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 10:48:26 PM »

LOL people believing in the story of Adam and Eve in 2015.

one of my best friends believes in Young Earth, historical Adam, historical Noah and flood.  he's also a computer engineer, not a two-bit sponge.

If he believes that, then he is a sponge.

yes, he does tend to regurgitate whatever he gets from his favorite New Calvinists (McArthur, Piper, Washer...)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 06:28:19 PM »

what's the deal with these "recruiters"?  do you have to pay them, and if not, how exactly does that whole system work?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 03:39:03 PM »

if Tsipras is the Antichrist then put me on the list to get a 666 branding as soon as possible

when he goes down in a CIA-backed military coup after the Grexit will you stay with the Democrats and get your tattoos removed?  I hear the latter can be quite painful
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 04:44:16 PM »

There is no ban on trans fats.

In 2013, the FDA officially announced that they are not generally recognized as safe. As a result, most companies abandoned their use of them.

Of course, no one can make teams fats illegal. That would violate Bushie's OKLAHOMA FREEDOMS. Freedom to get sicker than he currently is now.

Yes, but if most of the big purchasers have pulled the plug because of this ruling, it should be near impossible to find an affordable producer of hydrogenated oil?

municipalities have banned it in restaurants.  NYC's was effective as early as 2007, iirc.  many chains abandoned it completely at that point: it became cheaper to not use trans fats at all than to send one type of oil to certain cities and another to all the others.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 10:13:37 PM »

The Bible withholds a lot of information on what heaven will be like.

that's because early Christians, and thus the NT writers, did not see "going to Heaven" as the crucial revelation of Jesus Christ.  they believed that Christ came to redeem God's creation, not to provide a gateway out of it.  

the key 'afterlife' belief of the early Christians was that all followers of Christ would be resurrected from the dead as He had. Heaven and Earth would be joined in a redeemed Creation/Kingdom of God.  Jesus' last words in Acts are to go ahead and start building the Kingdom now, here on Earth, NOT to look forward to escaping it.

the Heaven/Hell duality, where one set of disembodied souls go to the good place and the bad ones go to the bad place, is an invention of the Western church.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 07:44:54 PM »

He also views divorce as more immoral and unforgivable as a sin than premartial sex, which is still sinful but redeemable.

Guess which of those two sins Bushie accidentally committed.

Wait wait wait, I guess this was before my time: How did Bushie accidentally have sex?

a working definition of "accidentally" here should be 'without intention aforethought'
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 12:35:02 PM »

hey Bushie: how do you reconcile Romans 2:6-11 into your soteriology?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 03:37:40 PM »

bushie when was the last time (if ever) you were employed for a whole calendar year (jan 1-dec. 31)?

ONG in 2009

opebo's advice re: keeping that job was the best you've ever received.

No, no, no.  If you are a poor, and you have a job at the Electric Company, you stay there, and say 'yes sir' and 'no sir, and just batten down the hatches and wait.  It will all be over soon enough.  No need to rush it by getting conned up the a**s by some Kiwi b******s and ending up living under a bridge.

Seriously, I know poors who work at the Power Company (true they're from the previous unionized generations so they made $70,000/year, but still), and they survived. (emphasis opebo's)  Every one of them - and they will get to die in hospitals with medical treatments.  Yes, Public Utilities are not government jobs, but they're the next best thing.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 03:40:42 PM »

^^^ top 5 atlas forum post of all time, that one is

his eccentricities overshadowed what made opebo really valuable: practical intelligence.  he understood how things actually work.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 08:06:08 PM »

at least he'd have to be on his feet and moving around at the grocery store.  unlike a call center.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 08:06:50 PM »

One of my roommates sophomore year worked at the meat department in a grocery store and was always high when he went to work (though he got fired eventually for being too blazed one time where he giggled nonstop at work). It was actually a good deal because he would always sneak a bunch of chicken tenders and stuff out of the deli every night and brought it from for us.

I knew a guy like that when I worked food service.  he said it was important to go in high every single day rather than once in a while so nobody can notice any difference in your behavior
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 11:01:11 PM »

Everything you just said is correct, and I know how hard it could be. Just remember what someone said pages back. It takes quite awhile to break an addiction (20 days?). I gave up Coke for Lent two years ago when I drank it all the time. Now I can effectively manage it to about two a week.

I know you can do it too if you can withhold cheat days on that (Sunday exceptions were not used by me). Breaking a habit is hard, but it requires focus. It's probably much harder for you with the lack of an obvious alternative, but have you tried anything else? Even stuff like iced tea is marginally better. What about Coke Zero? Switch that in for water now and then. (I presume that's not too bad. Haven't heard much about it.)

The first step in breaking an addiction is admitting there is an addiction.

you're using 12-step rationalizations.  "it's a disease, there's more to it that just stopping, I can't just stop!"  thus in your case planning your 'relapse' on fast food and sugar.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies