asians? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:26:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  asians? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: asians?  (Read 13720 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: March 12, 2004, 12:48:45 AM »

Yeah, I remember seeing data for different Asian groups. Vietnamese are rightwing. It's kind of logical as so many of them got to the US as political refugees from South Vietnam. Kind of like a mellower version of Cubans. I think Filipinos were the most left wing.
But I don't know why Dole was so popular among Asians.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 05:20:40 AM »

I don't know about Vietnamese Americans. Minnesota has a large Hmong population (the largest outside of Asia) and I believe the Hmong are from Vietnam, and they mostly vote Democratic. The State Senate Majority Whip is a Hmong-American. Most of the Hmong I know are VERY liberal, but I go to a very liberal university for the most part anyway.

Like Native Americans, Asians are a diverse bunch in voting. I heard that Japanese Americans trend Republican, due to the fact that they often are rather wealthy, while Chinese Americans trend Democratic.

Hmong are from Laos. Up to the late 19th century most of them were Animists (as opposed to the Buddhist Lao). Then the French converted them to Christianity and favored them afterwards. As a result, they fought on the French and then the American side during SE Asia's 20th century struggles...And many of them have ended up in exile now.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 10:33:24 PM »

"Educated" refers to how much college education, and what colleges a person has attended. Is that really true that only 15% of Asians vote?
I'm not sure about 15%, that seems awfully low, but yeah, an overwhelming majority of Asians don't vote.
Remember, lots of them aren't even citizens.

And Kerry is 1/2 Jewish, but it doesn't matter as
a He's not Jewish by religion
b It's on the father's side, so it doesn't count
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 12:28:43 AM »

Well, it seems pollsters have attempted to find Muslims who are still ready to vote for Bush, and have not been able to find any.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 12:42:36 AM »

And that's from the website of a pro-Bush Muslim organization...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies