Hughento (Secretary of External Affairs) Confirmation Hearing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 05:19:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Hughento (Secretary of External Affairs) Confirmation Hearing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Hughento (Secretary of External Affairs) Confirmation Hearing  (Read 8690 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2006, 03:50:38 PM »
« edited: December 01, 2006, 04:14:26 PM by Porce »

Just like you did the Senate with your most exemplary track record of explaining [not] your veto on a number of Bills

You're getting awfully bitter and defensive.

I don't believe any of my vetoes ever went unexplained, even if some were not explained immediately much to your dislike.  Meanwhile we have a non-unified opposition, edited votes, and all sorts of ridiculous garbage going on here.  Some people are just looking for answers.  The fact that you were a.) being cryptic and b.) resigning from your post as PPT over something so minor only accentuates it.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2006, 04:40:36 PM »

You idiots rejected someone who actually wanted the job, for no good reason, at a time when it's hard enough to find someone willing to put their name up? Fools.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2006, 05:03:09 PM »

Could we all calm down a little please?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2006, 05:07:59 PM »

To be quite honest I think this Senate is a joke for rejecting Hughento as SOEA. Besides some activity level concerns there is no reason to reject him. To be honest I don't think activity level should be a reason for his rejection anyway. He wants the job, he promised that he would be more active, whats the problem here.

The problem with hearings like this is particpation from people who are not members of this chamber (ie Phil-Hugh incident). I think Phil interjecting himself in this hearing was uncalled for. That is why there is a seperate thread called Senate Protest! I urge a Senator to purpose a rule barring none members of the Senate from posting in the Senate business threads.

If the Senators can not state the reason why they rejected Hughento as SoEA then they should all RESIGN from this chamber.

x Fmr. Senator MAS117
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2006, 05:15:35 PM »

I urge a current Senator to introduce the following bill or something similar:

Senate Floor Rights Bill

I.) Only members of the Senate may comment on floor hearings such as bills and nominations.
II.) Anyone who posts in a hearing on a nominee or on a bill that is not a member of the
Atlasian Senate should be subject to a punishment prescribed by the presiding officer.
III.) Former Senators and Vice Presidents may retain floor previlieges at a time described by the President Pro Tempore or presiding officer.
IV.) This bill should be enacted at the time of its passage through the Senate.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2006, 06:14:54 PM »

If the Senators can not state the reason why they rejected Hughento as SoEA then they should all RESIGN from this chamber.

x Fmr. Senator MAS117

And what constitutional requirement is there for a Senator to reveal the reasons behind voting in favour or against a nominee or a bill? Senators have a right to make private decisions in deciding on how they vote, Will everyone please stop harrasing Senators over this- if you demand to know why they voted no, then why not demand to know why some Senators voted yes?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2006, 11:41:40 PM »

The problem with hearings like this is particpation from people who are not members of this chamber (ie Phil-Hugh incident). I think Phil interjecting himself in this hearing was uncalled for.

So says another person who is not a member of the chamber and interjects himself in...well..everything.

There is plenty of reason to reject the nominee. If he can't act civily, if he wants to go out of him way to start trouble, he does not deserve promotion. It is really that simple.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2006, 11:51:34 PM »

MAS117 and Keystone Phil...

MAS, let me start by saying that you should take your own advice. Also, asking for a bill introduction does not belong in this thread. If you wish to have a bill introduced, please contact any member of the Atlasian Senate to act as it's sponsor in the Legislation Introduction Thread.

Phil, now, while I agree, you and Hugh have personal issues, and that is something that needs to be worked out between the two of you. It depends on whichever of you is man enough to walk away from this conflict. However, your feud should not have carried over into a confirmation hearing that has caused chaos and friction among the government. Your feud should be taken up with a board moderator, who will be the best to judge the situation, and should not in any way, shape, or form inject itself into any future policy of the Atlasian Government.

That is all.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2006, 11:57:00 PM »

However, your feud should not have carried over into a confirmation hearing that has caused chaos and friction among the government. Your feud should be taken up with a board moderator, who will be the best to judge the situation, and should not in any way, shape, or form inject itself into any future policy of the Atlasian Government.

Nominees should conduct themselves responsibly, not go out of their way to personally attack people and then, when kindly asked to stop, say that they don't care that they were acting inappropriately. He wanted to carry this fued (which I have made several attempts at stopping in the past, by the way) here with totally unrelated topics? Fine. I saw to it that he was defeated. I hope the administration considers other people for the office.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2006, 11:58:30 PM »

So the Senate is Keystone Phil's bitch.  Got it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2006, 12:00:21 AM »

Or I worked to see that he is rejected and stated reasons why he should be. I think it more like Ebowed and Co. are just too busy bitching that their man lost.

Amazing how everyone in favor of hughento can lobby the Senate but I can't.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2006, 12:14:07 AM »

Or I worked to see that he is rejected and stated reasons why he should be. I think it more like Ebowed and Co. are just too busy bitching that their man lost.

Amazing how everyone in favor of hughento can lobby the Senate but I can't.

"Ebowed and Co."?  Who exactly do I have influence over?  I'm not even a registered voter anymore.  Nor did I arrange a backdoor deal with Senators to get them to vote against a nominee who, back to reality for a second, is no worse than any other nominee that the Senate has ever had to deal with.  Your long-lasting feud with Hughento has no bearing on whether or not he can serve well in this position.  Reasonable people can all agree to that.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2006, 12:16:32 AM »

Your long-lasting feud with Hughento has no bearing on whether or not he can serve well in this position.  Reasonable people can all agree to that.

Immature troublemakers should not be promoted. I don't believe someone like that should represent me. He should not serve if he can't keep his nasty feelings private. Again, I have been provoked and he paid for it.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2006, 12:25:25 AM »

I urge a current Senator to introduce the following bill or something similar:

Senate Floor Rights Bill

I.) Only members of the Senate may comment on floor hearings such as bills and nominations.
II.) Anyone who posts in a hearing on a nominee or on a bill that is not a member of the
Atlasian Senate should be subject to a punishment prescribed by the presiding officer.
III.) Former Senators and Vice Presidents may retain floor previlieges at a time described by the President Pro Tempore or presiding officer.
IV.) This bill should be enacted at the time of its passage through the Senate.

Speaking of jokes...  I think you brought up this bill when I was a Senator, and it's rightly never gone anywhere.

Hughento has never been qualified for much of anything, frankly, though I don't see why that should make a difference when there's pretty much no one left.

And why should anyone have to explain their vote, ever?  Let the few voters who are left hold it against them at the next election.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2006, 01:11:56 AM »

Well, in a nutshell, I saw no reason why the previous Secretary of External Affairs ought not to have been re-appointed in this capacity. He was doing a fine job Smiley

The only other presidential nominee to ever fail senate confirmation was Mike Naso for Secretary of Defense.
Excuse me?

No credit for my political masterpiece during your term, huh?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2006, 07:09:01 AM »

O.K... could you all try to calm down please?

We're heading towards cuppa' and a sit down territory here Tongue

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies