PPP: Only Romney & Demint lead Obama in SC (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 05:27:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  PPP: Only Romney & Demint lead Obama in SC (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PPP: Only Romney & Demint lead Obama in SC  (Read 3298 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« on: June 10, 2011, 01:50:57 PM »

Updated for South Carolina:

Obama vs. Romney

Obama vs. Gingrich

Obama vs. Palin

Obama vs. Pawlenty

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 02:02:08 PM »

That's not terrible for Romney or Pawlenty at all. Obama has a high floor and low ceiling in the South. And in Obama/Romney there are twice as many undecided whites as blacks.

Looking more closely, between Obama/Romney, the undecideds are 9%. Whites are 7%, blacks are 1%, and others are about 1%, rounding. By party line, 4% of Democrats, 8% of Republicans, and 16% of independs are undecided.

Looking like 56/43 to me. Not quite George W. territory,  but halfway there.

If anything, it looks as if the Atlantic-shore South votes very differently from the inland South. Florida votes more as if part of the Midwest than of the South, so it doesn't count. Demographics seem to be making Virginia a  Northern state in its politics.

Recent polls suggest to me that President Obama would do almost as well in Virginia as he did in 2008, slightly better in North Carolina than in 2008, have a better-than-even chance of winning Georgia, and have a significant chance (but less than 50%) in South Carolina.

Until I see fresh polls for the Deep South (AL, LA, and MS), I'm going to believe that the vote in those states breaks closely along racial lines, and until I see fresh polls for the Upper South (AR, KY, TN, WV) I am going to assume that President Obama is the absolutely wrong Democrat to win those states.   

56/43 in South Carolina for Romney, and close to George W. Bush results? No, more likely 52-48 for Romney, a nailbiter with Obama vs. Pawlenty. DeMint would probably get 54-46, which would suggest that DeMint would be in trouble elsewhere.       
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 05:34:06 PM »

56/43 in South Carolina for Romney, and close to George W. Bush results? No, more likely 52-48 for Romney, a nailbiter with Obama vs. Pawlenty. DeMint would probably get 54-46, which would suggest that DeMint would be in trouble elsewhere.       

None of those numbers make a lick of sense whatsoever unless you have reason to believe that Obama will be winning a large share of undecided whites.

He can. Military votes, although he will have to win those. Those depend upon getting out of Afghanistan and avoiding trouble.  The GOP has no military hero, so it all boils down to policy and results.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 01:22:19 AM »

Is it just me or is there a huge disparity between men and women in these southern state polls? I mean, Obama has a +2 approval among women in SC and has a -26 approval among men. This is maybe the largest I have ever seen. I know that women will pretty much always have higher approval of dems like Obama than men, but this is just crazy!

The statistics in Georgia, my home state, are similar, although not so extreme. Any explanations?

It could be that the South has long had a heritage of sharp distinctions in sex roles between men and women. The male world has been very different from the female world.  Men have typically been more prone to heavy drinking, to driving cars fast, to prowess with firearms, and of course to a love of the military as an expression of manhood. Tellingly, President Obama seems to embody none of that. Women have long been discouraged from doing so.  That is the old Southern culture, and it shapes perceptions.  That probably shapes the patterns of thought -- and political attitudes that bifurcate along lines of gender.       

Other regions of America aren't so traditional.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies