NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:25:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 129303 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: June 15, 2021, 02:04:38 AM »

I think I can say it with confidence now, Andrew Yang will NOT be mayor of New York City, and his political future seems to practically be over at this point.

I've said it before but I am even more confident after watching his campaign unfold that Yang has a 0% chance of actually becoming mayor of NYC.
I don’t support Yang, in fact he’s one of my lower candidates, but how on earth are you MORE confident in that as this campaign has unfolded? All that’s become clear really is that Yang is inevitable.

I've said it before but I am even more confident after watching his campaign unfold that Yang has a 0% chance of actually becoming mayor of NYC.

^^^Complete uninformed ignorance right here

Yang is very likely to win

I get that you want to stir sh*t but this is just a laughable take
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 11:11:38 AM »

To be fair he seems to have taken a major dip since March.

He was cruising on name recognition and novelty early on, but once the race got serious and people started learning about the other candidates he was inevitably going to fall.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 02:37:31 AM »

Kathryn Garcia is the only candidate I like and I will be rooting hard for her.

My guess is a lot of late deciders will feel the same way.  Garcia has her own strengths but also makes for a reasonable "none of the above" choice.  Most importantly, it seems like there's nothing actively repulsive about her, like there is with Yang or this clown Adams.

Ironically, Wiley would probably have a better chance if she wasn't endorsed by AOC.  I'd never heard of her but I would never vote for AOC's candidate if I lived in NYC.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 02:00:10 AM »

That 538 article was dumb.  It was just "whites, latinos, and blacks all vote differently, and then here are two areas where they don't vote homogenously."

But 538 in general has basically nothing to offer these days.

I'm really hoping all the negative press down the home stretch will kneecap Adams just like it did Hillary Clinton in 2016.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 01:20:38 PM »

Kathryn Garcia is the only candidate I like and I will be rooting hard for her.

Somehow, you and I ended up on the same side in a primary election. Hell has truly frozen over.

I'm surprised you're not supporting Stringer or Wiley.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 01:24:14 PM »

"Each week following the election, the votes will be tabulated. The candidate with the lowest number of first-choice votes will be eliminated, and that candidate’s votes are redistributed to each voter’s second-choice candidate, and so on until only two candidates remain. It's unclear how long it will take to count ballots, so it's uncertain how soon a winner can be declared."

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/nyc-primary-elections-mayoral-race-2021/h_516c2954bc98b52cf65cc705b9098edb

So is each round going to happen weekly or is this article just being vague?

Wait, what?  Is it not instant runoff?  This election is going to continue for months?  That can't be right.  Am I totally out of the loop on this?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 08:42:23 PM »

Hoping for a miracle and Adams somehow falters as we go through the rounds.

OK but hear me out... Hillary Clinton independent run.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 08:45:16 AM »

With her in charge, maybe NYC will finally get the rat genocide it deserves. One can hope!

Oh God, please.  The day they finally get rid of the rats will be the day New Yorkers sit back and wonder how they lived with the rats for so long.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 06:44:27 PM »

Yang cozied up to Jimmy Dore, the Chapo guys, Briahna Joy Gray, and other tentpoles of the terminally online left, and NYC leftists still hated him with a burning passion.  Far more passion than the actual centrist Dem who won.

It just goes to show that the worst thing you can be to a leftist isn't someone who disagrees with them 50% of the time, it's someone who disagrees with them 1% of the time.  Because the way they demonstrate that they are "the most left" is by drawing a big fat line between themselves and their closest ally.  That's why any attempt to form a leftist organization will inevitably devolve into a bunch of splinter organizations, each trying to be the purest, and each trying to prove their purity by ruthlessly attacking all the others for the supposed impurities.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 03:50:19 PM »

Why do all these progressive candidates use the visual language of trendy startup websites from 2011-2014?  The noisy off-white or off-pastel background, text shadow, slanted text on the logo and ribbon design element all scream Silicon Valley 2012.  Everyone watched The Social Network, read Hacker News, bought that one UX book that recommended this style, and went around copying each other until the entire internet looked samey.  I bet there's a golden ratio hidden in there somewhere.  At least skeuomorphism was left in the dustbin of the Obama administration.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies