Miles' Election Map Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:45:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Miles' Election Map Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Miles' Election Map Thread  (Read 113286 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

« on: July 17, 2012, 03:09:24 AM »
« edited: July 17, 2012, 03:37:08 AM by cope1989 »

Pretty cool maps!

The Hagan Dole map actually looks more GOP friendly than the Perdue McCrory one, because I see more blue. I guess Hagan derived her support more from urban and suburban areas moreso that Perdue, who was stronger on rural areas.

My guess as to why NC Central mountains are more D? Well, this is just a guess, but it looks like the core area of Democratic strength centers right around the Great Smoky mountains national park. The area is dependent on government protection to maintain the pristine nature of the mountains, so it's more of a unique dependency on government rather than a fear of it that you find in other appalachian areas.

edit: Also maybe more Native Americans?
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 01:39:42 AM »
« Edited: January 23, 2013, 01:41:19 AM by cope1989 »

Hey Miles, love your maps! I had a quick question about Landrieu.

We've seen so many of the southern dem senators fall since she took office in 1997, but she keeps getting reelected, even in '08 with Obama at the top of the ticket- I assume he was NOT popular there, even then. She's approaching legacy status, what with her family name and her three terms, but she's by no means safe. All of her elections have been very close. It seems like she's perennially unpopular with about half of the electorate but she keeps holding on, so how does she do it??

edit: she won by seven in 2008, so not that close, but still kinda close!
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 05:58:32 PM »

Does anybody have some precinct level data on Atlanta or metro Atlanta? Obama didn't lose too much ground there and some counties swung towards him, but I'd like to see it broken down.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 07:46:47 PM »

Does anybody have some precinct level data on Atlanta or metro Atlanta? Obama didn't lose too much ground there and some counties swung towards him, but I'd like to see it broken down.

any specific counties you'd like to see?

Gwinnett, Cobb, North Fulton. I doubt south dekalb/south fulton are that interesting and the data on the outer suburbs would just depress me.

Oh yeah, maybe douglas, newton, henry, rockdale
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 09:45:59 PM »

Miles, could you do Chatham County, GA?
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 02:58:54 PM »

Awesome NC maps.

It always baffles me how a lot of the mountain counties are so moderate while the Georgia mountain counties just a few miles south are so very Republican.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies