Grade Susan Collins’ campaign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:36:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Grade Susan Collins’ campaign
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ^
A

B

C

D

F

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Grade Susan Collins’ campaign  (Read 1526 times)
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2020, 02:54:22 AM »

?
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 03:01:31 AM »

A.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 03:11:26 AM »

Obviously A+++
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 03:17:42 AM »

She’s the only Republican Senator left in a blue state, was the only blue state Republican Senator to defy the massive Democratic wave in 2008 (when she won by more than Obama against a credible opponent), outperformed her polls substantially in 2008/2014/2020, wasn’t ahead in a single public poll since July, was outspent by more than 2-to-1, and survived an 8-point Biden win in an election with historically little split-ticket voting to win by high single digits. She definitely deserves an A.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 03:20:31 AM »

She’s the only Republican Senator left in a blue state, was the only blue state Republican Senator to defy the massive Democratic wave in 2008 (when she won by more than Obama against a credible opponent), outperformed her polls substantially in 2008/2014/2020, wasn’t ahead in a single public poll since July, was outspent by more than 2-to-1, and survived an 8-point Biden win in an election with historically little split-ticket voting to win by high single digits. She definitely deserves an A.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 05:06:36 AM »

A+. She is as moderate as possible in present day Maine Republican party (no more Stanley Tupper's), and good campaigner. By voting for Cavanaugh (2 years before election) and against Barrett has shown excellent sense of timing and preserved enough moderate support for win.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 07:17:24 AM »

I wonder what the answers would be like if you asked this question the day before the election.
Starmerite2024
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 07:23:25 AM »

My first thoughts when I saw the results were "How the  did she survive?"
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 07:58:54 AM »

Ahem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Fitzpatrick_(American_politician)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Scott_(politician)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Bacon_(politician)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Wyman
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 09:45:50 AM »

She did a masterful job in navigating between the Scylla and Charybdis in waters roiled by a sea monster with red hair against a very competent opponent.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2020, 12:13:27 PM »

It doesn't take that much to beat Sara Gideon who was treated like a shoe in by Act blue just like Cunningham, now D's have to rely on GA to tie the Senate and GA was only wave insurance not the pivotal seats
Lognog
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 02:22:52 PM »

most of the campaign: B. Last month: A+++
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2020, 02:30:01 PM »

Hot take: She didn't run a particularly good campaign, and was mainly fortunate that there was still some residual good will toward her among Independents. While I get that it's "hard to argue with success" and all that, I don't think winning candidates always run especially good campaigns.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2020, 02:38:02 PM »

C-

She won for reasons having nothing to do with her weak campaign.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2020, 04:49:11 PM »

I greatly underestimated Susan Collins. Clearly, she knows her state and was able to retain enough of her crossover appeal to win another term. I also feel Collins was helped by her state's long-term Republican trends. Trump won ME-02, like he did in 2016, and Jared Golden only held on by a narrow margin. Biden also did not carry the state by as wide a margin as many had anticipated. I don't think Collins will have any difficulty winning again in 2026, if she decides to go for a sixth term.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2020, 04:50:07 PM »

This is like the kid who slacks off all year in class and then aces the final. You're going to be confused, but you'll give him the A anyway.

She obviously knows what her voters want.
compucomp

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2020, 07:40:11 PM »

Your points are very good, but I wonder if Biden's substantial win in Maine (it's 10 points now) actually had something to with her victory. Maine voters lean liberal but they're definitely independent and quirky. Maybe Maine voters, as they planned to vote for Biden and perceived a Biden victory as likely, started moving towards Collins to be a check on Biden. I know the polls were trash but they were deteriorating for Gideon in the last week (around +2) compared to her earlier polling.
SenatorCouzens
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2020, 10:28:02 PM »

A. I really do have to hand it to Collins for pulling this one out. Balancing Kavanaugh and Barrett, the way she handled Trump questions (despite the blue checks on twitter being displeased), and constantly talking about Maine as well as her bipartisan agenda.

I've watched a lot of the attack ads against her, and many almost seem as if they were written to support her. Were these created by people actually in Maine? They seem delusional as to what motivates the vast majority of middle of the road voters.

The ads play POSITIVE clips of her talking about bipartisanship and process and her independent brand. Then the ads blast essentially TRUMP... KAVANAUGH in the final seconds.

It's as if they were written by the worst type of politically-obsessed twitter trolls who expect Maine voters to get the smelling salts every time she does something non-Maine progressives oppose.

Mind you, I can only give this analysis after the vote was in, but I think it's accurate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies