Hugo Chavez has died
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 08:24:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hugo Chavez has died
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Hugo Chavez has died  (Read 23054 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2013, 08:59:28 AM »

This is the most excessive hyperbole-filled place on Atlas right now.

You haven't read the comments on most American news sites then. It feels like Adolf Hitler just died.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2013, 09:06:55 AM »

Regarding Sanchez's hypocrisy accusations: sure, there are people I won't drop a tear when they die. Yet I find it despicable to go on a gloating "yay, bastard is dead" spree just freaking minutes after learning about this. You can't help it? Do it in private. I can't speak for the others, but I never go that low. You're entitled to your opinion, there will be plenty occasions to discuss Chavez in near future, but have some ing decency. Defense like "others do the same" is lame. You're supposed to be better than a mindless crowd.

Grow up, kid. I mean it sincerely.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2013, 09:29:58 AM »

Apparently one of the only world leaders who acted like a dick and a douche was our Dear Leader. Dear God.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2013, 11:06:51 AM »

Apparently one of the only world leaders who acted like a dick and a douche was our Dear Leader. Dear God.

Doesn't come as shock, though.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2013, 01:07:31 PM »

Maybe ag, but Venezuela and the ALBA countries are not the only flawed, unequal and corrupt democracies in Latin America,

Not the only. But in many places we are seeing progress, while here there has been evident retrogression. Still, retrogression is not collapse - unlike Cuba, Venezuela is still an electoral democracy, for which I am most willing to praise the late departed caudillo. Unfortunately, this is one of the fewer things on which he is definitely praiseworthy.

Now, Chavez wasn't evil. And he was, indeed, full of great intensions. Unfortunately, he, classically, used those intentions to personally pave the road to hell for his country. Still, on the day he died I rather felt it was wrong to concentrate on mistakes and stupidities. Stalin (or even Castro) he wasn't.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2013, 01:39:40 PM »

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2013, 01:41:14 PM »

The ends do not justify the means is the simplest thing I could say about Hugo Chavez, and probably as far as I'd go for now.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2013, 01:45:21 PM »

Maybe ag, but Venezuela and the ALBA countries are not the only flawed, unequal and corrupt democracies in Latin America,

Not the only. But in many places we are seeing progress, while here there has been evident retrogression. Still, retrogression is not collapse - unlike Cuba, Venezuela is still an electoral democracy, for which I am most willing to praise the late departed caudillo. Unfortunately, this is one of the fewer things on which he is definitely praiseworthy.

Now, Chavez wasn't evil. And he was, indeed, full of great intensions. Unfortunately, he, classically, used those intentions to personally pave the road to hell for his country. Still, on the day he died I rather felt it was wrong to concentrate on mistakes and stupidities. Stalin (or even Castro) he wasn't.

I think that I understand your line of argumentation. Only a note: in my opinion, the Chavismo, with its innumerable faults, has not supposed a retrogression with regard to the CAP era. That democracy, AD and COPEI included, was terribly flawed, corrupt and unequal above all. I don't stop noticing the authoritarian tendencies and the incredible polarization -- which is a fault of the opposition as well, at least until the arrival of Capriles who seems to have another style--. I can see the failures and the bad management, but at least I like that some of the wealth generated by the oil extraction has been redistributed. It has been done badly, but this is a progression with regard to the previous era, and the reason why Chavez was so popular.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #133 on: March 06, 2013, 02:14:55 PM »

Regarding Sanchez's hypocrisy accusations: sure, there are people I won't drop a tear when they die. Yet I find it despicable to go on a gloating "yay, bastard is dead" spree just freaking minutes after learning about this. You can't help it? Do it in private. I can't speak for the others, but I never go that low. You're entitled to your opinion, there will be plenty occasions to discuss Chavez in near future, but have some ing decency. Defense like "others do the same" is lame. You're supposed to be better than a mindless crowd.

This.

I honestly don't think any leftist (apart from the usual trolls) will cheer when Thatcher dies.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #134 on: March 06, 2013, 02:23:37 PM »

This.

I honestly don't think any leftist (apart from the usual trolls) will cheer when Thatcher dies.

Plenty of people in Scotland and England (and Ireland and Argentina...) will cheer when Thatcher dies.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2013, 02:26:49 PM »

This.

Plenty of people in Scotland and England (and Ireland and Argentina...) will cheer when Thatcher dies.

I'm sure plenty of people in Venezuela are cheering as well. People who were directly concerned by the person's rule should not be held to the same standard as everybody else.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2013, 02:34:10 PM »

I'm sure plenty of people in Venezuela are cheering as well. People who were directly concerned by the person's rule should not be held to the same standard as everybody else.

With all due respect, that's ridiculous. 

If the Grand Pubah of Iran (whatever his name is), or Assad, or some other creature of that ilk drops dead, only their people can cheer?  (I'm not advocating cheering here, just questioning your statement).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2013, 02:37:59 PM »

If the Grand Pubah of Iran (whatever his name is), or Assad, or some other creature of that ilk drops dead, only their people can cheer?  (I'm not advocating cheering here, just questioning your statement).

No, but Chavez (or Thatcher, for that matter) aren't of the same category. Period.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2013, 02:40:46 PM »

No, but Chavez (or Thatcher, for that matter) aren't of the same category. Period.

Well, no, which is why I'm not advocating cheering Wink  I thought your statement was meant to apply in all cases.  My  bad. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2013, 02:56:15 PM »

Considering Chavez's speeches were typically filled with excessive hyperbole, that woudl seem to be an appropriate tribute to him, don't you think?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2013, 03:01:25 PM »

Considering Chavez's speeches were typically filled with excessive hyperbole, that woudl seem to be an appropriate tribute to him, don't you think?

Yes, smelling the sulfur from the devil Bush at the U.N. was one of my favorites.  He'd appreciate every hyperbolic response here.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #141 on: March 06, 2013, 03:32:09 PM »

Grow up? He was a thug. His death should be celebrated immediately. It is not a low thing to do. He does not deserve decency. How many more times do I have to express that! Quit the phony outrage, Kal. Others do it, and yet here they are calling me out. Why don’t you join me in criticizing them instead of placing me in the “mindless crowd.” Chavez was not a respectable foreign leader/political figure, like Lula, Kirchner, or Jack Layton. He was a despotic pissant who used brutal force to implement a political agenda. His political views are debatable-it is the means he used to implement them that was wrong.

This.

Do I have to post for a third time the post in which leftist members of this forum are already cheering for her ill health and death.

You are all hypocrites. Just own up to the fact that you ignore thugs when they are your side, and not when they are on your opponent’s side. Pinochet, Chavez, Castro, Franco, King Abdullah-it does not matter. A thug is a thug. You are the ones who should grow up. It is embarrassing and pathetic for you all to defend Chavez while at the same time attack other foreign leaders who are at least democratically elected.

Should I bring up the Jerry Fallwell thread? It was not “too soon” to make negative comments about a negative man when he died.
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #142 on: March 06, 2013, 03:36:57 PM »

Naive and self-righteous 16 year-old is naive and self-righteous.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: March 06, 2013, 03:39:50 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2013, 03:55:59 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

Naive and self-righteous 16 year-old is naive and self-righteous.
Look who is talking. You cannot deny the fact that Chavez was a strongman and a wannabe tyrant so you have to insult me. What are you other weak debating tactics? Please enlighten me with your infinity wisdom, oh wise Obamanation.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #144 on: March 06, 2013, 04:00:15 PM »

Yes, smelling the sulfur from the devil Bush at the U.N. was one of my favorites.

You consider this hyperbole?

Everyone over here thinks - as a matter of course - that the CIA killed him.  Such thinking is just normal outside the USA.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #145 on: March 06, 2013, 04:05:40 PM »

You are all hypocrites. Just own up to the fact that you ignore thugs when they are your side, and not when they are on your opponent’s side. Pinochet, Chavez, Castro, Franco, King Abdullah-it does not matter. A thug is a thug.

I don't really want to get into an extensive argument here but people would probably start taking your comments seriously if you just didn't compare Chavez with Pinochet, Castro, Franco and King Abdullah which is frankly ridiculous.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #146 on: March 06, 2013, 04:07:02 PM »

Yes, smelling the sulfur from the devil Bush at the U.N. was one of my favorites.  He'd appreciate every hyperbolic response here.

+1
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: March 06, 2013, 04:07:33 PM »

Yes, smelling the sulfur from the devil Bush at the U.N. was one of my favorites.

You consider this hyperbole?
Bush maybe. Rummy or Cheney? Not so much.

Everyone over here thinks - as a matter of course - that the CIA killed him.  Such thinking is just normal outside the USA.
I wouldn't be surprised. It is not the first time the CIA has taken out a foreign leader for nationalizing oil.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: March 06, 2013, 04:09:08 PM »

You are all hypocrites. Just own up to the fact that you ignore thugs when they are your side, and not when they are on your opponent’s side. Pinochet, Chavez, Castro, Franco, King Abdullah-it does not matter. A thug is a thug.

I don't really want to get into an extensive argument here but people would probably start taking your comments seriously if you just didn't compare Chavez with Pinochet, Castro, Franco and King Abdullah which is frankly ridiculous.
1st Tier Tyrants: Mao, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Kim Ill Sung, etc.

2nd Tier Tyrants: Al-Assad, Qadaffi, Pinochet, Castro, Franco, King Abdullah, King Leopold.

That is my general rankings of tyrants. Chavez is the least bad among the 2nd tier, so it is not that far of a stretch to compare him to them.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #149 on: March 06, 2013, 04:23:19 PM »

1st Tier Tyrants: Mao, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Kim Ill Sung, etc.

2nd Tier Tyrants: Al-Assad, Qadaffi, Pinochet, Castro, Franco, King Abdullah, King Leopold.

That is my general rankings of tyrants. Chavez is the least bad among the 2nd tier, so it is not that far of a stretch to compare him to them.

It is far stretched when you consider that Chavez didn't rule a one party state with no elections (making him a dictator) and didn't kill thousands of people, something which most if not all of the names you mentioned have done.
That seems like a pretty big dealbreaker for me when comparing him to the people you wrote in your example.

Not that it matters but I basically agree with what AG has posted in here. Venezuela is an illiberal democracy, something which Argentina could also be classified as. There are no rigged elections (like in Russia I guess) as some like to argue and there is pressure against a big segment of the population which is usually poor and uneducated to vote as the government wants, but in the end when you are inside the voting booth or whatever it's still your decision.
At least I know here that I can speak against the government as much as I like without fear of losing my life, unlike with those guys you just compared to Chavez.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies