If religious organizations were taxed (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:24:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  If religious organizations were taxed (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If religious organizations were taxed  (Read 13254 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: December 12, 2014, 12:59:20 PM »

This is a terrible idea. The idea of taxing charlatans like Joel Olsteen is pretty attractive but I have no appetite for ruining important community organizations that give sanctuary/aid to the homeless, immigrants and the impoverished.

muh bill maher doe!!!!

I couldn't agree more. You don't have to be religious to agree that Churches do a lot of good for a lot of impoverished people.

Do they still require you trade your mental faculties for their hogwash or would even an atheist hobo receive a soup? 

I can't speak for America but in Edinburgh Christian organizations run a hugely disproportionate share of services for the homeless, and no one turns people away based on their religion.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 08:28:39 AM »

This is a terrible idea. The idea of taxing charlatans like Joel Olsteen is pretty attractive but I have no appetite for ruining important community organizations that give sanctuary/aid to the homeless, immigrants and the impoverished.

muh bill maher doe!!!!

I couldn't agree more. You don't have to be religious to agree that Churches do a lot of good for a lot of impoverished people.

Do they still require you trade your mental faculties for their hogwash or would even an atheist hobo receive a soup? 

I can't speak for America but in Edinburgh Christian organizations run a hugely disproportionate share of services for the homeless, and no one turns people away based on their religion.

Very good.  Now, onto Round 2.  Does the soup come with a pamphlet? 

No. I think your impression of christian charity (at least a lot of it) is based more on what you want to be the case rather than what actually is the case.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 12:07:09 PM »

muh bill maher doe!!!!

Very good.  Now, onto Round 2.  Does the soup come with a pamphlet? 

No. I think your impression of christian charity (at least a lot of it) is based more on what you want to be the case rather than what actually is the case.

What?!  Why would I ever desire evangilation? 

From your forum posts it's clear you're incredibly committed to the stance that religion poisons everything. Genuinely religious altruism (which evangelistic charity wouldn't be because it would have a benefit for the group running it) would completely disprove your theory, so it's not surprising that your pushing so strongly against the idea that it could exist.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 12:28:15 PM »

Bore, your perspective is from the milquetoast Church of England people in a country where evangelism is generally seen as distasteful.  We have a rather different perspective in the good ol' USA.

I've never been so mortally offended in my life. I'm Scottish Tongue

But yeah, like I said I don't know enough about the charity situation in the US to really comment on it. Like all sane people I find the vast majority of American Christianity awful. What I would say is the homelessness work which I'm really familiar with is done by various branches of Catholicism, and they don't discriminate or evangelise, so I'd assume that at least a good proportion of church charity projects in America are non discriminatory and non evangelistic.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies