Why is the GOP Establishment Rallying Around a Tea Party Baby?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:46:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why is the GOP Establishment Rallying Around a Tea Party Baby?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is the GOP Establishment Rallying Around a Tea Party Baby?  (Read 2086 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2015, 08:13:34 PM »

Do they not remember when Marco Rubio interrupted what was supposed to be Charlie Crist's coronation to the Senate, causing him to defect from the GOP and thus losing a major potential player for the future and creating at the time a huge threat to lose the governorship of Florida?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 08:21:20 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2015, 10:36:58 PM by Kingpoleon »

Reince Priebus as Chairman of the RNC is like Kissinger as SoS. He's very pragmatic, nearly to the point of having no principles.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:37:21 PM »

Reince Priebus as Chairman of the RNC is like Kissinger as SoS. He's very pragmatistic, nearly to the point of having no principles.

not trying to be an ass, but it's pragmatic
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »

In 2010, Marco Rubio was a former Jeb Bush protege/ state legislative leader. He's not really a tea party guy. He's always been establishment. That election was a clash between different establishment forces rather than Tea Party VS Crist.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 08:55:55 PM »

The party has gone so far to the right that yesterday's Tea Party candidates are today's establishment candidates.
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 10:09:58 PM »

The party has gone so far to the right that yesterday's Tea Party candidates are today's establishment candidates.
Exactly. This is also why a '90's conservative such as Kasich, Graham, Pataki, and Gilmore can pass for progressives within the Republican Party.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 10:12:54 PM »

Exactly. This is also why a '90's conservative such as Kasich, Graham, Pataki, and Gilmore can pass for progressives within the Republican Party.

And probably why my views are considered moderate hero while in the 80s and 90s they would be considered strongly conservative
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 10:15:54 PM »

... Not sure Pataki deserves inclusion.  I'm sure some red avatar from NY will jump in (every partisan hates to see a moderate governor of their state from the other party be seen as a moderate), but he really was.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 10:38:23 PM »

In 2010, Marco Rubio was a former Jeb Bush protege/ state legislative leader. He's not really a tea party guy. He's always been establishment. That election was a clash between different establishment forces rather than Tea Party VS Crist.

In which the Tea Party largely backed Rubio.

Reince Priebus as Chairman of the RNC is like Kissinger as SoS. He's very pragmatistic, nearly to the point of having no principles.

not trying to be an ass, but it's pragmatic

I put pragmatic. Screwy spell-check.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 11:02:48 PM »

Despite being elected in a tea party wave, I am not sure i would consider him tea party. The major conservative commentators I listen to (not for unbiased news mind you; I use other sites for that) like Rush and Laura Ingram are vehemently opposed to Rubio.
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 11:13:16 PM »

And probably why my views are considered moderate hero while in the 80s and 90s they would be considered strongly conservative
What exactly does "moderate hero" mean? Does it mean you are a hero for moderate causes, or does the term "hero" imply an ideology?

... Not sure Pataki deserves inclusion.  I'm sure some red avatar from NY will jump in (every partisan hates to see a moderate governor of their state from the other party be seen as a moderate), but he really was.
I tend to agree, but have been scolded by certain red avatars on here for calling any of the above moderates, so I have fallen into a habit of just calling them conservative to avoid sparking a feud.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 11:15:22 PM »

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 11:21:16 PM »

Is the GOP establishment actually rallying around Rubio, or are "conventional wisdom" and the media telling us that is what's happening.

Although I see Rubio as very weak, I don't deny that he can potentially win the nomination. And on paper he looks great a first glance. I'm just not seeing very much on the ground that supports the idea of anyone besides the media rallying behind Rubio. GOP primary voters certainly aren't.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 11:32:22 PM »

... Not sure Pataki deserves inclusion.  I'm sure some red avatar from NY will jump in (every partisan hates to see a moderate governor of their state from the other party be seen as a moderate), but he really was.

Nope, he was a conservative. After he was elected governor, he had the State Senate Majority Leader ousted for being too moderate. And yet in 2003, the State Senate, which he was a former member of, unanimously overrode his veto hundreds of times.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 12:22:08 AM »

Just because the party has gone haywire doesn't mean that mainline conservatives are suddenly moderates. There are no real moderates in the Republican Party anymore because they all agree on the same issues beyond a couple of nuances, the way they say things, and minor sympathies towards the gays and abortion rights.

There used to be Moderate Republicans. Mark Hatfield was a moderate. William Cohen was a moderate. Arlen Specter was a moderate. These people simply do not exist anymore.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 12:27:51 AM »

In the 80s I probably would have been seen as a Mondale liberal yet in the current political climate i'm practically a Marxist.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 01:31:41 AM »

Just because the party has gone haywire doesn't mean that mainline conservatives are suddenly moderates. There are no real moderates in the Republican Party anymore because they all agree on the same issues beyond a couple of nuances, the way they say things, and minor sympathies towards the gays and abortion rights.

There used to be Moderate Republicans. Mark Hatfield was a moderate. William Cohen was a moderate. Arlen Specter was a moderate. These people simply do not exist anymore.

Jeffords and Chafee were 2 pretty moderate Republicans. Lowell Weicker was defeated when the Republican establishment backed Joe Lieberman instead.

And longer ago, there used to be liberal Republicans like Fiorello La Guardia, John Lindsay, and Jacob Javvits.
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 03:16:14 AM »

Is Susan Collins a moderate?
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 03:17:13 AM »

Jeffords and Chafee were 2 pretty moderate Republicans. Lowell Weicker was defeated when the Republican establishment backed Joe Lieberman instead.

And longer ago, there used to be liberal Republicans like Fiorello La Guardia, John Lindsay, and Jacob Javvits.
Chafee was to the left of many Democrats, and still is, even as a Democrat.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 04:57:03 AM »

Chafee was to the left of many Democrats, and still is, even as a Democrat.

And Fiorello La Guardia might have been to the left of Bernie Sanders.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 08:47:58 AM »

Rubio was Speaker of the FL House when he ran for Senate. He was the de facto "Tea Party" candidate as the conservative challenger to Crist. Considering Crist's party change, that hardly seems radical in hindsight (or foresight to many FL conservatives who never trusted Charlie).

Even as Speaker Rubio had good relations with both the establishment and TP wings. His ability to get support from both is what he's been trying to model his presidential campaign on. Unfortunately for him, he's being out conservatived (new word!) and--more importantly--out anti-establishmented (another!) by Cruz and Trump in a year the establishment wing is poison to most primary voters.

His big hope now is his youth, ethnicity, and relative conservatism (compared to Bush, Kasich, & Christie) will be enough to capture enough voters equally uneasy with Trump and Cruz as they are with the establishment, combined with the lion's share of the "anybody but Trump, Cruz, or Carson" vote, to become the sole remaining (viable) challenger to The Donald after Super Tuesday.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 08:55:27 AM »

What is a "Moderate Republican"? A Democrat?
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 09:30:45 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2015, 10:42:24 AM by Chancellor »

Rubio and the establishment are center right. The establishment is not necessarily the most liberal/moderate members of the party.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies