The Civil War (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:42:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  The Civil War (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Civil War  (Read 15898 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« on: April 19, 2010, 12:26:10 AM »
« edited: April 19, 2010, 12:28:09 AM by Dallasfan65 »

So, something I've been mulling recently: why did the South lose the war, and who's to blame?  I'm writing an essay putting much of the blame on Lee, but of course there are other options.  What do y'all think?

Start with the railroads, that answers a lot of problems. North Carolina was found to have warehouses busting with food and supplies at the end of the war but the problem was the gauge on the tracks varied from state to state and they had a problem getting the supplies to the front.

Didn't the Union have an estimated 85% of rail roads, or something to that figure?

I can't see the South keeping West Virginia, and an independent New England would be too weak to survive nestled in there between the US and the Dominion of Canada.  It'd rejoin the Union if it ever left.  Also, you should probably give Oklahoma to the CSA.

Yes, the CSA actually had territory in Oklahoma.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 09:03:53 AM »

So, something I've been mulling recently: why did the South lose the war, and who's to blame?  I'm writing an essay putting much of the blame on Lee, but of course there are other options.  What do y'all think?

Start with the railroads, that answers a lot of problems. North Carolina was found to have warehouses busting with food and supplies at the end of the war but the problem was the gauge on the tracks varied from state to state and they had a problem getting the supplies to the front.

Didn't the Union have an estimated 85% of rail roads, or something to that figure?

I seem to recall it being very proportional to population, actually. That would have helped the more urban & more densely populated North, which makes sense in view of history.

Ah. I'd read the figure (to the best of my recollection) in my old history book (this is dating back to freshman year...) but yeah, that makes sense.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies