Northern Regional Committee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:05:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northern Regional Committee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Author Topic: Northern Regional Committee  (Read 17979 times)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2016, 10:13:14 PM »

Here's a short summary of how the votes are counted (instantrunoff.com):

You must be logged in to read this quote.

As you can see, the IRV system is almost exactly the same as the STV system, with the only major difference being that the IRV system is used in elections with one winner while the STV system is used in elections with multiple winners (thus, our differences are largely semantic). Here is an automatic vote calculator:

http://paul-lockett.co.uk/av.html

Note that Mr. Lockett mentions that the IRV system is "also known as instant run-off voting or the single transferable vote for single member constituencies." The further explanation reads that "STV used for multi-winner elections is sometimes called proportional representation through the single transferable vote, or PR-STV," wherein our problem lies.

Hope that helps! Grin
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2016, 12:17:05 AM »

All current Atlasian laws are still in effect. That said, Article X clearly states that we can use whatever electoral system we want.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2016, 01:51:50 AM »

evergreen - did you mean a simple majority of votes or a simple majority of those who voted on the amendments?  This matters, because there will be people who abstain or don't vote on the amendments.  There always are.  I'd propose the voters voting in the election.

a simple majority of the people who voted on the amendments, yeah.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2016, 05:36:35 PM »

As Truman has clarified that we can use an electoral system of our choosing and evergreen has clarified Section 4 of the bill, can we move to a final vote? We really should get going. Here is my recommended final version, which is the same as evergreen's with the only modification being in Section 4:

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2016, 06:10:47 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2016, 06:19:44 PM by cinyc »

As Truman has clarified that we can use an electoral system of our choosing and evergreen has clarified Section 4 of the bill, can we move to a final vote? We really should get going. Here is my recommended final version, which is the same as evergreen's with the only modification being in Section 4:

Looks good, except you're counting abstains as nays.  I think evergreen wanted abstains to be treated as a void vote, so that we'd only count ayes and nays.  I don't care as long as we have a clear written rule.

I'll give evergreen up to midnight Eastern to tell us if she's okay with that change.  After that time, we can proceed to a vote as long as Harry says so - or before that time if evergreen gives us the go ahead.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2016, 06:20:36 PM »

bear's amendment is good.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2016, 07:16:56 PM »

Okay.  I have no problem holding a vote now.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2016, 10:21:09 PM »

[SEN]     A final vote is now open on the proposed election bill. Please vote AYE, NAY, or Abstain. Voting will last 24 hours or until all delegates have voted.

Quote from: Restricted
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2016, 10:24:05 PM »

AYE!
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2016, 10:33:37 PM »

Aye
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2016, 04:10:19 AM »

aye
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2016, 05:22:57 AM »

aye
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2016, 06:18:15 AM »

Aye
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2016, 06:20:45 AM »

Aye
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2016, 02:23:23 PM »

AYE
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2016, 03:53:03 PM »

Now that it seems the Senate business is taken care of, I suppose we should start discussing the structure of the regional government. Tongue

I propose a single seven-member legislature with three members elected at-large and four members elected using districts. The districts would be drawn up and voted on by the legislature at the beginning of each session, with each district having to fit within a certain population range (we could predetermine a maximum standard deviation and put it in the Constitution) in order to keep things fair. We would also, of course, have some sort of regional executive, though this executive would hopefully have the power to introduce bills into the legislature and participate in debate (without a vote) in order to maximize collaboration.

Thoughts?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2016, 05:53:59 PM »

I oppose increasing the number of offices above 6 or 7. We had many problems filling a 5 member Assembly in the Northeast.  Even though the region is larger, there are now at least an old region's worth of new offices in Nyman.  So there really isn't much leeway to add new officers without having boring, uncompetitive elections.

I would only support a part-at-large, part-district legislature if it is capped at 5 total members.   I don't support bicameralism. 

Perhaps we should first vote on whether the new legislature should be bicameral or unicameral?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2016, 06:00:23 PM »

^Five members seems fine as well; I'm not sure what everyone else thinks though.

If we do go with five, I suppose we would either have three at large and two districts or two at large and three districts. I have no specific preferences when it comes to that, but I've been able to create around-even maps with two and three districts so either would be fine.

I would assume we conduct all votes at the same time (doing them one by one would take a really long time), but I'd have to ask Truman first.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2016, 06:23:01 PM »

i'd suggest we start with a principle vote between bicameral, unicameral, or modified-universal (the proposal i made in poirot's thread)
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2016, 08:10:33 PM »

With 7 votes in favor and none opposed, the Elections Bill has been ADOPTED!

[PRV]     According to Article III of the Rules of Order:

Therefore, I now declare a 24-hour period for delegates to propose names for the Region and basic plans for the new government (i.e. "parliamentary democracy," "three branch government," etc.). More specific questions, such as the size/structure of the legislature, will be determined once these two initial votes have been completed.

To start things off: I propose that we name this Region the "Commonwealth of Franklin" and adopt a three-branch system of government modeled after that of the former Northeast.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2016, 08:15:20 PM »

I propose we stick with North.

We effectively can't have control over the third branch of the government, as there will be no CJO.  And we won't get to appoint an associate justice to the Supreme Court for a while - but we do need a mechanism for appointment, correct?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2016, 08:22:34 PM »

I propose we stick with North.

We effectively can't have control over the third branch of the government, as there will be no CJO.  And we won't get to appoint an associate justice to the Supreme Court for a while - but we do need a mechanism for appointment, correct?
I'm pretty sure such has already been set in place by Article V.

In any case, you're correct that we won't be able to establish all three branches ourselves, as the judiciary is regulated by the federal Constitution. I suppose a more accurate description of my favored plan would be "an independent executive branch."
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #122 on: June 05, 2016, 09:05:44 PM »

Bicameralism won't pass I think, but I suggest two election systems for the legislature. A part which is at-large, the others by districts.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2016, 05:40:29 AM »

I second cinyc's proposal for "the North" as the name of our region.

Regarding the system of government, I would assume we should just stick with "an executive and legislative branch" or something like that, as it seems Truman has clarified the judicial branch is regulated by the federal government.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2016, 06:16:36 AM »

I much prefer the name Franklin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length