Are the vast majority of people good at heart? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:17:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Are the vast majority of people good at heart? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are the vast majority of people good at heart?  (Read 3813 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« on: November 17, 2016, 09:28:06 AM »

"Evil" could be defined in human terms as doing ignorant things for selfish reasons. "Ignorant"+ "Selfish" = evil.

That may not be an accurate definition literally speaking, but is my analysis of why people often don't do the right thing. How many people agree on what the "right thing" to do is?

I have a dark side, I am willing to admit that. How many people are in touch with their dark side? We have the power, perhaps, to rise above our dark side. Some people chose not to.

edit: It's a question of win/win vs win/lose. Win/lose often devolves into lose/lose.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 11:39:33 AM »

I am honestly not sure, humans can obviously can be pretty evil, but I don't like it when tyrants use that as an excuse to tightly control others.

Historically, the evilness of human nature has been used in conservative thought as a justification for powerful and strict authority.  After all, if those common people are up to no good, they need righteous, wise people to make them behave correctly.  I personally think the human capacity for evil is exactly why authority needs to be limited.  Common people are no angels, but neither are government officials.  Human evil is especially evident when people abuse their power.  

I am hesitant to say people are basically good, but it would be nice if we at least respected others enough to treat them as if they were good.  History has shown that brutal dictators often describe a populace as lazy and immoral or something else as a justification to be ruthless.  Ironically, people who speak forcefully of others' character flaws have evil intentions themselves.
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies