Are the vast majority of people good at heart? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:34:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Are the vast majority of people good at heart? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are the vast majority of people good at heart?  (Read 3811 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: November 16, 2016, 11:22:52 AM »

Rare is the person who actively seeks to do what they know to be evil. All too commonly we do what we know to be evil, but would rather not do.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 12:35:36 AM »

I tend to believe so. I don't believe that the idea of original sin is incompatible with an innate human goodness. We are created in the likeness of the ultimate good, after all, and fallen is not the same as bad.

^ I agree.

Humans in our fallen state have allowed our search for various goods to be twisted into wrongs. But every sin is still at some level a distorted attempt at some good.

May I point out that in the Biblical story of the fall, the serpent didn't tempt Eve directly with the idea of sin, but with the idea that the forbidden fruit was actually good. The Quranic story is similar except Iblis (Satan) didn't take a serpent's shape, and he tempted both Adam and Eve equally.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies