Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 04:01:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 78
Author Topic: Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]  (Read 300542 times)
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1450 on: October 15, 2008, 06:33:54 PM »

My guess is that the 2nd likely voter model has the party identification as 37-37 D-R like in 2004.

That won't be the case this election.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1451 on: October 15, 2008, 06:38:43 PM »

My guess is that the 2nd likely voter model has the party identification as 37-37 D-R like in 2004.

The prophet ChrisFromNJ speaks again.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1452 on: October 15, 2008, 06:44:56 PM »

We saw the sme claims here for years ago.  Remember how all the new voters swung FL to Kerry.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1453 on: October 15, 2008, 06:57:35 PM »

And that is based on?
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #1454 on: October 15, 2008, 07:01:28 PM »

We saw the sme claims here for years ago.  Remember how all the new voters swung FL to Kerry.

Deja Vu from 2004. The youth vote is gonna come out in record numbers and shatter all records in  turnout.

And yet the day after Bush was reelected.. it's was clear that the youth vote just didn't show.

The cult of the youth voter remains, once again, the most absurd, bogus, childish, romantic and misguided joke of liberal American politics.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #1455 on: October 15, 2008, 07:02:22 PM »

Deja Vu from 2004. The youth vote is gonna come out in record numbers and shatter all records in  turnout.

And yet the day after Bush was reelected.. it's was clear that the youth vote just didn't show.

The cult of the youth voter remains, once again, the most absurd, bogus, childish, romantic and misguided joke of liberal American politics.

Scoreboard.

You might want to check it out.

Barack Obama leads in the polls. That wasn't the case in 2004.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1456 on: October 15, 2008, 07:03:27 PM »

Scoreboard.

A lead that is that declining.
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #1457 on: October 15, 2008, 07:10:01 PM »

Scoreboard.

Your correct.. I'm no fool...Lets see where we stand in 19 days right NOW  it's advantage  Obama. I believe things will tighten how much only time will tell.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1458 on: October 15, 2008, 11:55:06 PM »

Yes, remember how it was going to turn out big and propel Obama to victory over Hillary but turnout of the youth vote was minimal...oh wait.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1459 on: October 16, 2008, 12:53:07 AM »

A reminder: https://uselectionatlas.org/POLLS/PRESIDENT/2008D/polls.php?fips=55

PPP claimed the reason for the discrepancy was all other posters (excluding ARG for obvious reasons) were using a traditional turnout model while they were using a new one boosting black and youth turnout.

It turns out PPP actually underestimated Obama.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1460 on: October 16, 2008, 06:10:59 AM »

And that is based on?
Not exactly that, necessarily. But he's got the basic point right - the traditional turnout model is more of a Republican Best Case Scenario than anything else. Basically, we know it's wrong, we know it's too Republican, we're just in the dark as to by how much (we don't even know whether the new model is better. Then again, we can't rule out that the new model is still too Republican Grin )

As to all the idiot misinterpretations of the relationship between the pre-04 hackery and what actually happened in 04 (not that the relationship was particularly straightforward): There was unprecented (well. Within the past thirty years) new and youth turnout in 2004. And it did lean Democratic nationally, and it's what kept the EC result respectable.
But it didn't lean Democratic by sufficiently much to swing the election (or to throw the pollsters' traditional turnout models too far off course), and in sizable parts of the country - the South, mostly - it didn't lean Democratic at all. It leant Republican.
Now... these New Voters aren't exactly a monolithic block. There are parallels between the Dems' and the Reps' new voters, but there are differences too (I won't go into detailed stereotyping here).
And now ask yourself: Are the Dems' new voters going to vote Democratic again? You betcha.
Are the Reps' new voters going to vote Republican again? Are they going to vote again? I don't really think so. I still think turnout will probably be somewhat lower than four years ago.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1461 on: October 16, 2008, 06:33:16 AM »

PPP claimed the reason for the discrepancy was all other posters (excluding ARG for obvious reasons) were using a traditional turnout model while they were using a new one boosting black and youth turnout.

You just violated J. J.'s Second Rule, again.

I think it might be between the two turnout numbers, but any candidate that will count on it is usually in trouble.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1462 on: October 16, 2008, 06:40:45 AM »

I think it might be between the two turnout numbers, but any candidate that will count on it is usually in trouble.
He did not, because he is not a candidate.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1463 on: October 16, 2008, 06:49:40 AM »

The rule doesn't just apply to the candidate. 

J. J.'s Second Rule of Elections"When a politician or activist talks about a large group of voters that, a. aren't being polled, or b. really going to turn out and swing the election, there is no such group."

The candidate isn't necessarily involved.

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1464 on: October 16, 2008, 06:51:07 AM »

Here are some findings from Gallup's tracking for week (Oct. 6-12). I've been monitoring certain constituency groups for a while.

http://www.gallup.com/tag/Election%2bTrends%2bby%2bGroup.aspx

Core constituency groups for Obama include blacks, Democrats, Hispanics, 18-to-29-year-olds, postgraduates and women. He leads McCain by 88, 78, 29, 34, 23 and 14 respectively

Core constituency groups for McCain include Republicans, whites, 65-years-and-older and men. McCain leads Obama by 78 and 4, yet Obama now leads McCain by 1 among seniors and by 5 among men

Obama, indeed, leads McCain among all age groups (30-to-49, by 5; 50-to-64 by 9) and all education groups (no college, by 11; "some college", by 5; college graduates, by 6) and among Independents, by 10

Regionally, in the East, Obama leads by 19; in the Midwest, Obama leads by 20 and in the West, Obama leads by 8. McCain leads Obama in the South by 2

In "blue", Obama leads McCain by 21; in "red", McCain leads Obama by 4 and in "purple" states, Obama leads McCain by 17

There's a whole range of other demographic tracking data, for example, Obama leads among liberals and moderates, McCain among conservatives, etc

This data is for registered voters and last week Obama , aggregately, polled 50% and McCain 40%

Dave
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1465 on: October 16, 2008, 06:56:37 AM »

J. J.'s Second Rule of Elections"When a politician or activist talks about a large group of voters that, a. aren't being polled, or b. really going to turn out and swing the election, there is no such group."

They are being polled - just sampled down.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1466 on: October 16, 2008, 06:58:22 AM »

Here are some findings from Gallup's tracking for week (Oct. 6-12). I've been monitoring certain constituency groups for a while.

http://www.gallup.com/tag/Election%2bTrends%2bby%2bGroup.aspx

Core constituency groups for Obama include blacks, Democrats, Hispanics, 18-to-29-year-olds, postgraduates and women. He leads McCain by 88, 78, 29, 34, 23 and 14 respectively

Core constituency groups for McCain include Republicans, whites, 65-years-and-older and men. McCain leads Obama by 78 and 4, yet Obama now leads McCain by 1 among seniors and by 5 among men

Obama, indeed, leads McCain among all age groups (30-to-49, by 5; 50-to-64 by 9) and all education groups (no college, by 11; "some college", by 5; college graduates, by 6) and among Independents, by 10

Regionally, in the East, Obama leads by 19; in the Midwest, Obama leads by 20 and in the West, Obama leads by 8. McCain leads Obama in the South by 2

In "blue", Obama leads McCain by 21; in "red", McCain leads Obama by 4 and in "purple" states, Obama leads McCain by 17

There's a whole range of other demographic tracking data, for example, Obama leads among liberals and moderates, McCain among conservatives, etc

This data is for registered voters and last week Obama , aggregately, polled 50% and McCain 40%

Dave

Recent Obama Surge Evident Among Men, Less Educated (16 October, 2008)

Independents have also swung strongly to Obama

http://www.gallup.com/poll/111205/Recent-Obama-Surge-Evident-Among-Men-Less-Educated.aspx
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1467 on: October 16, 2008, 10:27:06 AM »

As did PPP, and they were more accurate than any other pollster in this case. So then what?

*Ed8t* Actually not really. See Lewis' comment. PPP didn't violate the rule (and really, no pollster can)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1468 on: October 16, 2008, 12:05:51 PM »

October 16, 2008

RV
Obama 49 (-1)
McCain 43 (nc)

LV (new voter formula)
Obama 51 (-1)
McCain 45 (+1)

LV (traditional)
Obama 49 (nc)
McCain 47 (+1)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1469 on: October 16, 2008, 12:07:55 PM »

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with the non-traditional one.  I'd rather not believe that Obama is only two up, thank you very much.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1470 on: October 16, 2008, 12:11:50 PM »

I'll take it that Obama is up by 4 nationally.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1471 on: October 16, 2008, 12:19:58 PM »

October 16, 2008

RV
Obama 49 (-1)
McCain 43 (nc)

LV (new voter formula)
Obama 51 (-1)
McCain 45 (+1)

LV (traditional)
Obama 49 (nc)
McCain 47 (+1)

great, now opebo, J.J., and Keystone Phil will be seen as oracles.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #1472 on: October 16, 2008, 12:24:36 PM »

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with the non-traditional one.  I'd rather not believe that Obama is only two up, thank you very much.

Gallup makes everybody happy
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1473 on: October 16, 2008, 12:24:47 PM »

WTF? Are we gonna have a race again or is this a dead cat bounce?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1474 on: October 16, 2008, 12:26:42 PM »

Again Obama is very close to that 50 point mark. If he falls below 48....that could mean trouble.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies