Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 06:05:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 78
Author Topic: Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]  (Read 300545 times)
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: September 05, 2008, 03:53:32 PM »

Trying to figure out the day by day totals of the tracking polls is nothing but guesswork.

You are basing assumptions off of assumptions. You are assuming that you know what the day rolling off is, in order to determine what the new day coming on is. After days upon days of guesswork, the margin of error becomes very large, thus putting those numbers in high doubt.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #676 on: September 05, 2008, 05:37:10 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2008, 05:55:12 PM by Alcon »

Trying to figure out the day by day totals of the tracking polls is nothing but guesswork.

You are basing assumptions off of assumptions. You are assuming that you know what the day rolling off is, in order to determine what the new day coming on is. After days upon days of guesswork, the margin of error becomes very large, thus putting those numbers in high doubt.

That doesn't make any mathematical sense at all.  It's a three-day rolling average.  It's the margins of the days divided by three.  You can stagger it (I'm sure, because I've done it before, I just don't remember how) and determine the approximate daily average within a small range.

Margin of error?  what?  Margin of error is a sampling issue; it has nothing to do with calculating poll averages like this.  And there may be errors, but they will average out -- otherwise the rolling average would be significantly off.  Since it's based on rolling average, that isn't possible.

It's not exact (there are rounding issues) but it isn't "guesswork."
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #677 on: September 05, 2008, 05:47:25 PM »

The bounce is not enough for my liking.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #678 on: September 05, 2008, 05:54:42 PM »

If by "guesswork" you mean a mathematical algorithm, then I agree.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #679 on: September 05, 2008, 06:00:02 PM »

It will go away soon after the convention.

It must be very worrying to the McCain campaign that despite all the hoopla and excitement regarding Sarah Palin and how she might as well get her curtains measured in the White House, that McCain is very likely to see a lead that is beyond the margin of error, or even a lead at all.

This is the high point of the presidential cycle for the GOP this election cycle.
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #680 on: September 05, 2008, 08:38:06 PM »

well it's way to early to tell, but Obama certainly got a bigger day after bounce.  Still, got to wait a few days to tell who won the battle of the conventions.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #681 on: September 06, 2008, 03:52:46 AM »

That doesn't make any mathematical sense at all.  It's a three-day rolling average.  It's the margins of the days divided by three.  You can stagger it (I'm sure, because I've done it before, I just don't remember how) and determine the approximate daily average within a small range.

Margin of error?  what?  Margin of error is a sampling issue; it has nothing to do with calculating poll averages like this.  And there may be errors, but they will average out -- otherwise the rolling average would be significantly off.  Since it's based on rolling average, that isn't possible.

It's not exact (there are rounding issues) but it isn't "guesswork."

Breaking it down here:
The average for the last three days is of course no guesswork at all.
Individual days include a portion of guesswork o/c, although the longer the time frame you use, the better it should get.
The difference between one day and the day three days previously is no guesswork at all.
Very large bounces are of course going to be readily apparent with no major guesswork involved.

ie, if you assume that the 23rd and 24th were actually both McCain +1, that gives
25th McCain +4, 26th Obama +8, 27th Obama +14, 28th Obama +2, 29th Obama +8, etc. Stretch it across a long timeline, compare with events and assumptions about a trend for Obama to poll better on weekends, and you should be able to come up with a highly reasonable assumption at what's most likely.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #682 on: September 06, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »

Saturday - September 6, 2008

Obama - 47% (-1)
McCain - 45% (+1)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #683 on: September 06, 2008, 12:02:17 PM »

It will go away soon after the convention.

It must be very worrying to the McCain campaign that despite all the hoopla and excitement regarding Sarah Palin and how she might as well get her curtains measured in the White House, that McCain is very likely to see a lead that is beyond the margin of error, or even a lead at all.

This is the high point of the presidential cycle for the GOP this election cycle.

Too bad the bounce isn't over yet.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #684 on: September 06, 2008, 12:03:52 PM »

Straightforward math would tell us today's sample was somewhere around McCain +1 to McCain +3 given the graph posted above.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #685 on: September 06, 2008, 12:10:28 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2008, 12:12:06 PM by Verily »

Straightforward math would tell us today's sample was somewhere around McCain +1 to McCain +3 given the graph posted above.

More like a tie to M+2. (7+1+0)/3 = 2.333, (7+1-1)/3 = 2, (7+1-2)/3 = 1.667. M+3 would give an Obama lead of 1. Of course, allowing for the possibility that O+7 and O+1 are rounded, it could be anywhere from O+2 to M+3.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #686 on: September 06, 2008, 12:14:42 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2008, 12:22:39 PM by Sam Spade »

More like a tie to M+2. (7+1+0)/3 = 2.333, (7+1-1)/3 = 2, (7+1-2)/3 = 1.667. M+3 would give an Obama lead of 1. Of course, allowing for the possibility that O+7 and O+1 are rounded, it could be anywhere from O+2 to M+3.

Ya, that's right.  Anyway, please continue to be patient...  Smiley

EDIT:  If Wed is O+7 and Thurs is O+1, then M+3 on Friday, would give you 5/3 = 1.667.  So, my number is right, so long as those numbers are right.  We should have a better feeling by Monday at the earliest, Thursday at the latest, IMHO.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #687 on: September 06, 2008, 12:24:56 PM »

Ya, that's right.  Anyway, please continue to be patient...  Smiley

EDIT:  If Wed is O+7 and Thurs is O+1, then M+3 on Friday, would give you 5/3 = 1.667.  So, my number is right, so long as those numbers are right.  We should have a better feeling by Monday at the earliest, Thursday at the latest, IMHO.

Wait, you're right. My math sucks. Sorry.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #688 on: September 06, 2008, 03:55:51 PM »

Since everyone here seems to like and respect him (even though I retain my doubts), this is what Nate Silver says Gallup and Rasmussen look like:

Gallup
Wednesday: Obama +7.8
Thursday: Obama +2.4
Friday: McCain +4.2

Rasmussen
Wednesday: Obama +4.9
Thursday: Obama +3.8
Friday: Obama +0.3

More on his opinion here:

http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2008/09/06/today-s-polls-the-bounce-cometh.aspx
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #689 on: September 07, 2008, 12:12:56 PM »

Sunday - September 7, 2008

McCain - 48% (+3)
Obama - 45% (-2)

These results are based on Sept. 4-6 interviewing, and include two full days of polling after the conclusion of the Republican National Convention last Thursday night. McCain has outpolled Obama on both Friday and Saturday, and is receiving a convention bounce just as Obama did last week.

Tomorrow's report will be the first in which all interviews were conducted after the conclusion of the convention. Gallup measures convention bounces by comparing candidate support in the last poll done entirely before a party's presidential nominating convention begins with the first polling conducted entirely after its conclusion.

McCain's 48% share of the vote ties for his largest since Gallup tracking began in early March. He registered the same level of support in early May. This is also McCain's largest advantage over Obama since early May, when he led by as much as six percentage points. Obama has led McCain for most of the campaign, and for nearly all of the time since clinching the Democratic nomination in early June.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #690 on: September 07, 2008, 12:13:12 PM »

Yeah, baby!
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #691 on: September 07, 2008, 12:16:33 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2008, 12:18:51 PM by Aizen »

NoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This.... this can't be happening...! Gah!
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #692 on: September 07, 2008, 12:21:05 PM »

NoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This.... this can't be happening...! Gah!

The best part is that the bounce isn't even over yet!!!!!  Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #693 on: September 07, 2008, 12:24:30 PM »

If Silver is right, this means Saturday's numbers were somewhere in the ballpark of McCain +7 (+1 or -1).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #694 on: September 07, 2008, 12:26:35 PM »

At first, I thought it said Obama up three!

This is great.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #695 on: September 07, 2008, 12:28:21 PM »

At first, I thought it said Obama up three!

This is great.

Yeah, if McCain holds onto these numbers until election day, he may be able to put PA into play.

I doubt it, though. Tongue
Rococo4

« Reply #696 on: September 07, 2008, 12:47:54 PM »

Since everyone here seems to like and respect him (even though I retain my doubts), this is what Nate Silver says Gallup and Rasmussen look like:

Gallup
Wednesday: Obama +7.8
Thursday: Obama +2.4
Friday: McCain +4.2

Rasmussen
Wednesday: Obama +4.9
Thursday: Obama +3.8
Friday: Obama +0.3

More on his opinion here:

http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2008/09/06/today-s-polls-the-bounce-cometh.aspx

the guy knows no more than anyone here.....
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #697 on: September 07, 2008, 12:58:12 PM »

The Republicans are never going to own their failure. The sheer thought that a president can leave his country in worse shape than he found it and see his party rewarded with a third term is bad enough

Part of the reason I'm supporting Obama is that he is a Democrat, and what with America being a center-right nation in that conservatives outnumber liberals 3 to 2, he knows that if he is elected he has to govern competently and deliver on his promises otherwise he'll be out in 2012. McCain could just come in be as good as hapless yet stand an even chance of winning re-election in four years time. Seen it all happen with Bush

There's no accountability. Imagine just how prosperous and respected America would have been now had Bush never been elected

Dave
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #698 on: September 07, 2008, 12:59:35 PM »

The Republicans are never going to own their failure.

Uh huh. And the disaster known as the Democratic "leadership" in the 110th Congress is only going to see their majority expand.  Roll Eyes
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #699 on: September 07, 2008, 01:08:21 PM »

McCain being a third Bush term is simply a false statement.  I mean, even if he tried to be a third Bush term, he couldn't be one, just because of the large majority the Democrats will have in congress.  If he truly was another Bush term, I don't think I would be able to support him.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies