The Largest Street Gang in America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:39:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Largest Street Gang in America
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Largest Street Gang in America  (Read 2171 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 03:22:36 AM »

A private police force, however, could be crushed under the weight of lawsuits if it tolerated abuses.

Not if they shoot you.

Which is why I advocate requiring the police to have a camera at every arrest, and would make it mandatory for any conviction to have it rolling.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 10:07:18 PM »

Quite honestly? I'm in favor of privatizing the police to as great an extent as possible. And not because I think "RAWR THE FREE MARKET RULES ALL D00DZ!!1111!", but because I think the economic burden of assuming ownership of the police force would cause them to massively scale back their operations. I do believe that there is room where the interests of the minorities and of the poor and a free-market can meet. Our present system is almost openly hostile to their interests. No investor, no matter how wealthy, could possibly meet the costs of our "War on Drugs", for instance, nor would he likely be interested in doing so.

Yea, but what kind of free-market model would incentivize minority interests?  And what exactly are minority interests not represented in the police?  There are certainly racial issues surrounding the police, and a lack of recourse.  But is the cause of the police failure to represent minority issues really systemic (in a way addressed by a free-market model?), and how, and how do we make that model?

Well, I think that I answered this pretty well in response to Lunar, but to elaborate: our centralized government can afford such abuses, because it can just pour more money into the system. A private police force, however, could be crushed under the weight of lawsuits if it tolerated abuses.

If the abuses aren't rooted in the systemic nature, how could the private police force avoid being crushed?  And considering it's our police force doesn't that openly invite disaster?  Wouldn't there be a massive counter-incentive either way?  The reasons that the public police force are untouchable aren't because they are granted actual exception in the legal process.  You're just changing the check from election/appointment by the elected to market forces.  And what's to say such an omni-present company wouldn't be able to rather easily blow off lawsuits?

And that's only in terms of how to address the current problems -- Lunar's point is extremely important, too.  Do you deny that the culture surrounding law enforcement in the U.S. is a factor in the prohibition of "victimless crimes"?  This could very well exacerbate two issues for every one that it eliminates.

Out of curiosity, how would you manage a camera at every arrest? Tongue  Capcams?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2009, 11:41:30 PM »

A private police force, however, could be crushed under the weight of lawsuits if it tolerated abuses.

Not if they shoot you.

Which is why I advocate requiring the police to have a camera at every arrest, and would make it mandatory for any conviction to have it rolling.

Why don't we have cameras in jails and prisons I wonder.  My tentative opinion after my experience, is that they are sorely needed, along with audio.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies