We need one.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:29:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  We need one.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: We need one.  (Read 2495 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2005, 04:56:12 PM »

As for what Akno said, I think Senators have serious power on this issue when it comes to lobbying the Governors. I'll do everything in my power.

Er, no... why would senators have any more power over that than private citizens?  It's not as if the governors somehow feel threatened by the fact that you're an elected official.  They do generally try to make it so that two incumbent senators don't have to face off against each other, but beyond that, I can't think of any sway senators have, really.  Why would we have any sway?  The federal government is completely detached from the regional governments.

Feel free to lobby all you want, but you're not gonna find being a senator any different than being a private citizen.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2005, 05:01:43 PM »

As for what Akno said, I think Senators have serious power on this issue when it comes to lobbying the Governors. I'll do everything in my power.

Er, no... why would senators have any more power over that than private citizens?  It's not as if the governors somehow feel threatened by the fact that you're an elected official.  They do generally try to make it so that two incumbent senators don't have to face off against each other, but beyond that, I can't think of any sway senators have, really.  Why would we have any sway?  The federal government is completely detached from the regional governments.

Feel free to lobby all you want, but you're not gonna find being a senator any different than being a private citizen.

The federal government is completely detached from the regional governments yet the regions decide how we are made up? Yeah, that makes sense. To suggest that we can't have an influence of this is silly.

And, Gabu, when you're not attack me you're...well...still attacking me. I made it clear that I'll do all I can and at this point, I think that's more than what any private citizen is doing.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2005, 05:08:11 PM »

The federal government is completely detached from the regional governments yet the regions decide how we are made up? Yeah, that makes sense. To suggest that we can't have an influence of this is silly.

Well... tell me how you intend to have an influence then.

And, Gabu, when you're not attack me you're...well...still attacking me. I made it clear that I'll do all I can and at this point, I think that's more than what any private citizen is doing.

How am I attacking you?  I'm stating what I feel is a plain and simple fact: that senators have no more sway than anyone else when it comes to redistricting.  I'm not attempting to stop you from doing what you feel is best, I'm just trying to inject what I perceive as realism into things.

Honestly, Phil, you really need to stop taking everything so personally.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2005, 05:12:14 PM »

Well... tell me how you intend to have an influence then.

Organizing petitions and writing to the Governors would be two examples.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You come as if you're "err..." talking down to me.

And don't tell me I need to stop taking this stuff personally when someone like Hughento has a vendetta against me and never gives up. I don't care how much he seems like a nice guy to everyone else. He's the attack dog here over petty, childish stuff from, of all things, Atlasian Survivor!

But no. I'm the one blamed. I'm the one who takes this too personally. I'm afraid some things will never change here.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2005, 05:13:52 PM »

An average citizen has the same lobbying power as a senator? I don't think so. I'm with Phil on this one.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2005, 05:24:48 PM »

Once again, we see the hughento attack machine in full swing. Then people wonder why others get fed up with Atlasian politics.

Funnily enough, Hughento lost interest in fantasy politics before Phil did.  Though seeing as how both are now getting back into it again, this is kinda a moot point.

Anyway, as for the "senators vs. ordinary people" argument.  Speaking as a governor, if somebody petitioned me about potential district boundaries, I'd take just as much notice of them regardless of their position (i.e. senator or citizen).  I'm ashamed to admit that that probably wouldn't be much notice, because I draw up boundaries (like the current one) based on population balancing, not specifically on incumbency or regionalism.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2005, 05:30:24 PM »

Once again, we see the hughento attack machine in full swing. Then people wonder why others get fed up with Atlasian politics.

Funnily enough, Hughento lost interest in fantasy politics before Phil did.  Though seeing as how both are now getting back into it again, this is kinda a moot point.

Hugh isn't getting back in. He's here to attack. The guy attacks me every chance he gets.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2005, 05:34:01 PM »

Organizing petitions and writing to the Governors would be two examples.

Well, I don't know what that has to do with being a senator, but I don't know.  I'm getting the sense that we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this point, because we seem to just be spinning our wheels and not getting very far.

You come as if you're "err..." talking down to me.

Well, that wasn't what I meant that as.  All I'm saying is that I've been a senator through two redistrictings, and I've never once gotten the sense that I could have drastically affected anything in the process.  I'm just speaking from experience.  If you took that in a condescending tone, I apologize.

And don't tell me I need to stop taking this stuff personally when someone like Hughento has a vendetta against me and never gives up. I don't care how much he seems like a nice guy to everyone else. He's the attack dog here over petty, childish stuff from, of all things, Atlasian Survivor!

But no. I'm the one blamed. I'm the one who takes this too personally. I'm afraid some things will never change here.

Phil, I'm not "blaming" you for anything, and Hughento's behavior has absolutely nothing to do with yours.  Two wrongs don't make a right.  Yours is the behavior that you can change.  Hughento is not forcing you to act in any way; the final decision is ultimately yours.  If you want my personal opinion on it, your reaction to Hughento's behavior accomplishes nothing except exacerbating the situation.  This is not blaming you for the situation, this is simply stating a fact.  I simply feel that you need to take some personal responsibility and stop doing nothing while requesting that Hughento change his ways.  No, you are certainly not fully to blame for anything, but you do play your part in it, and I really don't think Hughento is 100% to blame, given that an argument takes two people.

Furthermore, you're taking what I intended to simply be constructive comments as an attack against you.  That's the sort of thing that my comment was in reference to, and it has nothing to do with Hughento.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2005, 05:38:52 PM »

I know you don't like me very much Gabu and that's fine with me but don't act as if you don't mean to get cocky with me at times.

I love this arguement. Someone can just keep iritatting someone but that's ok. No one ever speaks out against his attempts to get under my skin. I know I don't have many friends in Atlasian politics but I'd figure that some of you would have some damn guts to tell him to shut it. Nothing can excuse his vendetta against me. Nothing

The problem with so many of you is that you want this crystal clean image. Don't get involved in something if it doesn't directly concern you. Far too few people have guts in this game.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2005, 06:03:43 PM »

I know you don't like me very much Gabu and that's fine with me but don't act as if you don't mean to get cocky with me at times.

Um, I have nothing against you, Phil.  I admit that I sometimes post things that are not exactly... gentlemanly, but that's mainly because I'm bored and - no offense - you tend to react in quite volatile ways.  If you genuinely take this as an indication that I have something against you, I'll try to stop it.  I'm sorry, really.  I don't hate you.

I love this arguement. Someone can just keep iritatting someone but that's ok. No one ever speaks out against his attempts to get under my skin. I know I don't have many friends in Atlasian politics but I'd figure that some of you would have some damn guts to tell him to shut it. Nothing can excuse his vendetta against me. Nothing

The problem with so many of you is that you want this crystal clean image. Don't get involved in something if it doesn't directly concern you. Far too few people have guts in this game.

Look, I'll explain the facts to you.  You can take from them as you will.

Who am I talking to?  You.
Whose actions do you have control over? Yours.
Can you change how Hughento acts? No.

Therefore, what use is it to talk to you about how stupidly Hughento is acting, and why do you act as if examining your own actions is out of the question?

Look, I'll say what I honestly believe to be true right out in the open where Hughento can read it: I think that Hughento is acting in a very silly manner that is completely unconducive to anything civil and that he really should stop, because it's thoroughly unproductive and only serves to inflame tensions.  You want me condemn it?  I do.  Simple as that.  No conditions.

That said, let's glance a few posts up the pile.  Has Hughento's post gone away?  No, it's still there.  As I said, talking to you about Hughento's actions cannot do a thing to change them.  That's just a fact.

Beyond that, you do see what effect it's having, don't you?  Every time Hughento posts something like this, you immediately jump on it and start getting defensive towards everyone that gets within a hundred feet of you who is not attacking Hughento.  Your highly defensive reactions make people as averse to you as Hughento's actions make them averse to him.  It's not helping your image, and given that you're in politics, image is, well, everything.  That's just a fact.

I could say everything I wanted about Hughento, but unless he changes, you're going to have to be the one who changes.  It's really that simple.  As I said, an argument takes two people.  This is, again, just a fact.  Whether or not you want to acknowledge it is up to you.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2005, 06:10:01 PM »

Um, I have nothing against you, Phil.  I admit that I sometimes post things that are not exactly... gentlemanly, but that's mainly because I'm bored and - no offense - you tend to react in quite volatile ways.  If you genuinely take this as an indication that I have something against you, I'll try to stop it.  I'm sorry, really.  I don't hate you.

Can you change how Hughento acts? No.

Way to excuse poor behavior. I have a feeling that if we were talking about Mike Naso or NixonNow, you'd change your tune pretty quickly.

He's doing it to get under my skin, therefore, making things worse but no one addresses that. I'm an easier target.

The point is that it wouldn't be done under any other conditions. Some members get a free pass on that stuff. I'm not one of them.

So I should just let Hughento get away with it? Once again, if it was NixonNow or Naso, you'd jump on them for posting whatever they posted. Instead of attacking Hughento, pressuring him to knock it off, people let is slide. If you can clearly see that he does things to provoke me, don't say "It's because he likes to get you mad and it works." That's not addressing the problem.

I'm going to have to change but Hugh can get away with whatever he wants? Why do I always have to change? The day I change to suit the desire of people like Hugh is the day I support the removal of Rick Santorum from the U.S. Senate.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2005, 07:31:21 PM »

Phil, I really really don't want you to win. I am campaigning against you. No more then many other people have done previously.

I run generally positive campaigns, but my core philosophy is to be honest about politics. I could either have said nothing or contributed to the counter-campaign against you. I see no reason why the latter shouldn't be the case.

Part of the politics of this game is to support those candidates you really want in, and oppose those you don't. My banner image isn't attacking you personally, although it shouldn't come as a surprise that I wouldn't be fully opposed to doing that at this stage; I personally don'5t feel you deserve my reserving of feelings. There have been many ore harmful things said about other candidates, and I believe by you towards me, so stop going into a hissy fit and acting scandalised.

BTW, I'm long 'over' Atlasian survivor. Was I pissed at the time? Sure. Do I mention it every day? No. You're the one who seems to be obsessed with it.

Gabu-I thank you for your comments, but you don't know everything.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2005, 08:06:31 PM »

So I should just let Hughento get away with it? Once again, if it was NixonNow or Naso, you'd jump on them for posting whatever they posted. Instead of attacking Hughento, pressuring him to knock it off, people let is slide. If you can clearly see that he does things to provoke me, don't say "It's because he likes to get you mad and it works." That's not addressing the problem.

The problem is that you're responding to it, so responding to it is not exactly going to solve the problem.

You let Hughento get away with it every single time you respond to him.

At any rate, I really have nothing left to say, so I'll stop.  Really, Phil, I try to give some friendly advice and you attack me.  If you want to know why few people like you, perhaps you need to learn a thing or two about personal responsibility - you can stay hard as a rock, ever unchanging, all you want, but don't expect everyone to welcome it with open arms.  It's your life, at the core.  Sooner or later you'll have to stop expecting everyone else to change while ceding no ground whatsoever to anyone.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2005, 08:13:17 PM »

Phil, I really really don't want you to win. I am campaigning against you. No more then many other people have done previously.

I run generally positive campaigns, but my core philosophy is to be honest about politics. I could either have said nothing or contributed to the counter-campaign against you. I see no reason why the latter shouldn't be the case.

Part of the politics of this game is to support those candidates you really want in, and oppose those you don't. My banner image isn't attacking you personally, although it shouldn't come as a surprise that I wouldn't be fully opposed to doing that at this stage; I personally don'5t feel you deserve my reserving of feelings. There have been many ore harmful things said about other candidates, and I believe by you towards me, so stop going into a hissy fit and acting scandalised.

BTW, I'm long 'over' Atlasian survivor. Was I pissed at the time? Sure. Do I mention it every day? No. You're the one who seems to be obsessed with it.

Gabu-I thank you for your comments, but you don't know everything.

I've said nasty things about you during a campaign? When? About what?

I'm obsessed with Atlasian survivor? You cried about it in your signature! You act like such a child! I only bring it up because I have no idea why else you would have so much hate towards me. You need to address that problem. I've tried, several times in fact, to find out what it was yet you never say anything.

The main problem is that this is the internet and you can act as assinine as you want and get away with it but you have to live with being the hateful person, not me. Hey, I get into political arguements all the time with many people on this forum and in Atlasian politics but I've never, ever gone after someone personally as you have done to me. Now you either bring your problem with me up or stop being such a bitch.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2005, 08:16:08 PM »

...I've never, ever gone after someone personally as you have done to me. Now you either bring your problem with me up or stop being such a bitch.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=18984.0
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2005, 08:17:24 PM »

In response to Naso Watch, yes. It still doesn't compare to the personal attacks by Hughento. He's attacked me on numerous occassions but you wouldn't dare point that out, Joe.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2005, 08:19:44 PM »

Actually I already have a while back.  You're both almost as bad as each other.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2005, 08:20:10 PM »

It still counts as a personal attack, though.  We can't play the comparing game.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2005, 08:21:07 PM »

you know, Phil; i'm not going to reply to your response in too much detail. What I will say is that you know perfectly well what my problem with you is; a search of your previous posts might be enlightening; and you seem to be the one who needs an enema.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2005, 08:24:34 PM »

you know, Phil; i'm not going to reply to your response in too much detail. What I will say is that you know perfectly well what my problem with you is; a search of your previous posts might be enlightening; and you seem to be the one who needs an enema.

No, I don't know and I refuse to play this game. "Oh you know what you did." No, I really have no idea what "I did." You can't bring it up here. You refuse to talk to me on AIM when I try to solve this. Bring it up or stop complaining.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2005, 08:28:22 PM »

whilst I have never really liked you all that much, the event that really turned me against you is something you should remember. If you don't you have no compassion or care for other people's mfeelings; if you did you'd've remembered my extreme dissapointment, anger, frustration and hurt.

I would prefer not to raise it, but I think you might be twigging on now?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2005, 08:30:28 PM »

, but I think you might be twigging on now?

I will not go along with this game. I don't know the event. Tell me here, on AIM or stop complaining about me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2005, 08:32:28 PM »

whilst I have never really liked you all that much

That's something else. You just start off not liking me. Excellent.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2005, 08:34:05 PM »

You're not dictating terms to me, Phil. Stop being so bloody 'forceful'. It doesn't work on me and just makes people think less of you.

I don't like everyone instantly, Phil. I take a while to get to know them. When I first came, I hated supersoulty. Now, I really like him. It takes me a while to like people normally; with you it seems to be going the other way. We used to be civil to each other, anyway.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2005, 08:37:19 PM »

You're not dictating terms to me, Phil. Stop being so bloody 'forceful'. It doesn't work on me and just makes people think less of you.

You start these attacks between the two of us. I will be forceful.

Yes, we were civil but you started up and until you point out what "I did" I will never know what your problem is.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies