Tennessee Republican Gov. Haslam proposes free tuition free community college
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:46:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Tennessee Republican Gov. Haslam proposes free tuition free community college
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Tennessee Republican Gov. Haslam proposes free tuition free community college  (Read 1139 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2017, 04:21:45 PM »

Tyranny.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2017, 07:43:24 PM »

Oh, Haslam!  The fact that we have a budget surplus doesn't mean that we have to spend it all today!  If the government (federal and state) would get rid of every last bit of the social safety net and every last entitlement, poverty would be eradicated within five years (plus no one would have to pay more than 5% of their income in any form of taxation).

Out of curiosity ER, what do you consider the social safety net?  Military spending alone is 3.5% of GDP, and education is 6%.  Unless you want to undo guaranteed K-12 education (which I don't see as an entitlement, IMO), I don't see how you could go below 5%.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2017, 12:48:48 AM »

I expect more Republicans to get behind this as times goes on, for the same reason I expect to see more Republicans get behind single payer healthcare:

It benefits middle class and upper middle class White people, who are the Republican base.

Most minorities already have the opportunity to get a government funded bachelors degree via Pell Grants.

Now middle class Whites (and the smaller groups of middle class African Americans and Hispanics) will be able to get free college as well. 

I'd venture to guess most upper middle class whites won't avail themselves of this.

There are "social capital costs" to going to a community college for two years and transferring to a four year-school. It's considered a negative when applying to graduate programs; many top-tier universities generally don't take many transfer students in general; people who rush fraternities and sororities generally do so as freshmen and sophomores; doing things like studying abroad for a summer term are more difficult to do. You'll still get a college degree, but you won't have many of the "soft signalers" that upper-middle class white people care about.

The only obvious benefits from spending one's first two years at a four-year college are

(1) that one may get access to the campus culture of a large university. Those colleges often have more and better concerts, perhaps an art gallery, an impressive museum. and an art movie house or two, and

(2) that one has interactions with better students. Of course if one is working one's way through, one misses that.

I would give the advice to use the first two years of an inexpensive two-year community college. If one is not college material, then one can transfer to a more vocational course.  Grading may be easier, and college grades matter greatly to employers.  Add to this: most college professors dislike teaching the survey courses that one would take at both sorts of schools.     
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2017, 06:07:46 AM »

1) Maybe since I go to a small school so I wouldn't know (despite being a white from a family of--former--two college-educated parents), but do you guys figure that there's this cabal of white people with families making $100,000 a year or more who get together and cackle over their various social signals they've acquired?
2) Community colleges can be used outside of the two-year associate's degree. This can include dual enrollment and summer classes, which can speed a degree along without necessarily having one enter college at twenty or two years after their peers. This can help one lighten their regular course load, give them greater options in terms of classes for their fall/spring semesters, and help them erase certain classes they otherwise failed.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies