Is it inappropriate to wear this shirt to church? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:54:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is it inappropriate to wear this shirt to church? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is it inappropriate to wear this shirt to church?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Is it inappropriate to wear this shirt to church?  (Read 1350 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: June 29, 2014, 08:34:33 PM »

In your church?  I don't think "inappropriate" is a concept.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 09:57:14 PM »

FTR, I usually wear a pair of jeans, a plain colored t-shirt (albeit occasionally a dress shirt), a blazer, and my eagle harness cowboy boots when I go to service.  I've never gotten any slack for it but I did hear some compliments for the boots.  Part of this, though, is because I don't own many fancy clothes and can't really afford to buy new ones.  But, I'd never wear a band shirt or anything like that.  I don't wear band shirts, period. Tongue
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 10:10:01 PM »

I've never been to a church service.  

But, I don't think you can wear jeans or sneakers, much less a t-shirt to church.  It's disrespectful.

Then...the pastors are being disrespectful?

It's not really taking the religion thing seriously.  Look at Jews, you got your tefillin, your tallis, your tzitzit, your yarmulke.  Or Muslims, they have the red-dyed beard and that prayer smock thing.  Or think of a nice restaurant even, those require a suit jacket, forget basic semi-formal attire.  It's a show of respect to wear special clothing.
Reform Judaism largely dispenses with the goofy garments. I presume there is some sort of liberal Muslim analogue. And many nice restaurants no longer require the stuffy attire. People who live by all these uptight rules are so boring. Live your life how you want to live it.

I don't think there's anything more boring than dressing like a slob all the time.  Obviously, sometimes it's fun to be creative with how you dress and it's nice to wear comfy clothes sometimes.  But, how you dress is a message to the world, whether you want to be sending it or not.

Out of curiosity, bedstuy, did you have a Conservative Jewish upbringing?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies