The Office of Lumine (On the Future)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 01:59:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Office of Lumine (On the Future)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: The Office of Lumine (On the Future)  (Read 12839 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 20, 2018, 11:05:02 AM »

Disciplinary Action:

Nyman, April 20th:

With the reception to both proposed Senate Rules reform being positive so far, I expect to be able to move to a vote soon to address the relevant issues behind what I have put forward for debate. I continue to be convinced both Censure and Motions of No Confidence can prove useful tools against abuse (hopefully not to be abused themselves), and it is likely they'll be put to the test after the Midterm Election is open.

Having seen the latest comments by Scott regarding possible intimidation of voters and, thankfully, that many respectable voices have expressed the necessity of taking a firm stand against unethical behavior, I can confirm that as PPT I will be pursuing disciplinary action in the Senate after the election regardless of the results, most likely in the form of Censure towards LouisvilleThunder and Pericles or even Expulsion if it seems necessary and appropiate.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #151 on: April 20, 2018, 11:28:22 AM »

Just to clarify, does the Senate already have a method of censure/expulsion? Because I cant imagine such penalties, if new, can be applied retroactively to prior conduct.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #152 on: April 20, 2018, 11:29:14 AM »

Just to clarify, does the Senate already have a method of censure/expulsion? Because I cant imagine such penalties, if new, can be applied retroactively to prior conduct.

The Censure measure would be new I believe, but expulsion has existed.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #153 on: April 20, 2018, 11:31:20 AM »

The Censure measure would be new I believe, but expulsion has existed.

Ok. I will wait to see the final resolution, but I definitely will oppose applying a new penalty to preexisting transgressions against either LT or Pericles assuming either or both are re-elected.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #154 on: April 20, 2018, 11:32:26 AM »

Expulsion does exist indeed, censure would be the new addition. Normally I very much oppose retroactive use, but I do think this is one of few cases in which there is an argument for it. Now, if the Senate is strongly of the opinion only the current punishments in place (expulsion) are the ones that should be used, then I will defer to the opinion of my colleagues and pursue expulsion if necessary.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #155 on: April 20, 2018, 11:35:24 AM »

Expulsion does exist indeed, censure would be the new addition. Normally I very much oppose retroactive use, but I do think this is one of few cases in which there is an argument for it. Now, if the Senate is strongly of the opinion only the current punishments in place (expulsion) are the ones that should be used, then I will defer to the opinion of my colleagues and pursue expulsion if necessary.
If one of these two senators in question wins re-election would you wait until the start of their second term to begin any disciplinary action?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #156 on: April 20, 2018, 11:45:10 AM »

If one of these two senators in question wins re-election would you wait until the start of their second term to begin any disciplinary action?

It depends on whether there is support for censure. If there is, I would suggest censure during the lame duck and expulsion if necessary after the start of the second term (or impeachment if we want to go down that route, which is allowed by the Constitution but brings a much heavier and longer punishment).

My hope is it won't come to that given the current voting trends, of course, but if one is elected and retroactive censure is not supported then I will commit to pursue expulsion even twice if needed. Thankfully, once we get through this situation we'll have more clear procedures in mind to avoid a repeat of this.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #157 on: April 20, 2018, 11:46:27 AM »

If elected I would support it as well.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #158 on: May 03, 2018, 02:41:53 PM »

On potential reelection as PPT:

Nyman, May 3rd:

With this legislative session drawing to a close I have developed both positive and negative feelings about the last two months in charge of the Senate as its presiding officer. On one hand, it has been a very productive sessions which has passed a large amount of legislation, amended the Senate rules and saw some interesting ideas emerging for discussion. On the other hand, we've seen ethical scandals which have demeaned the standing of the Senate, and to put it mildly debate has not been as robust as it could and perhaps should have been (something of which I'm guilty myself, although I try to always contribute something).

In any case, with a new session upon us and the necessity of a new election to choose a new President Pro Tempore of the Senate, I can announce that I will not be seeking the office for the coming session. I've enjoyed the challenge and despite some shortcomings I think I've done a decent job as PPT, but there are other challenges in which I'd prefer to focus, the Senate has more than enough capable members to replace me, and ultimately I'm not interested in eternally serving in a given position either.

I will also be taking an extended leave of absence starting tomorrow, ending on Monday at the earliest. My personal and emotional struggles have left me drained and exhausted, and it was suggested to me that I take a trip to meditate on my current predicament to avoid things from getting worse. Hopefully I'll return feeling a bit more optimistic about things.

That's it for now, my sincere thanks to the Senate for giving me this opportunity to lead over the past two months.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #159 on: May 03, 2018, 03:37:23 PM »

Thank you for your service to the Senate, and sorry to see this decision. You've done a fine job, and best of luck for the future.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #160 on: May 04, 2018, 02:42:55 AM »

Being PPT/Speaker is mostly about keeping the trains running on time. There are a lot of things that I have wanted to accomplish in a given session but fell short of for a variety of reasons. The main thing I would point out is that you can go to any and all lengths to push for activity and encourage activity but at the end of the day you can merely lead the horse to water, you cannot make it drink.

The only long term fix for "lack of robust debate", which has afflicted both chambers and is also what is basically at the root of what Never and I are discussing over in his thread about the budget, is for a change in mindset of the way that people play and engage in the game and hopefully the attracting of more people who have major interest in policies and the issues. Only the people can ever really change that.

I think you have done great as PPT, and I don't think you should be disappointed.

Also I hope your situation works out satisfactory.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #161 on: May 06, 2018, 11:21:49 PM »

Thank you for your kind words, gentlemen.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #162 on: July 08, 2018, 06:33:19 PM »

Statement on Return:

Gibraltar, July 8th:

Departure:

I think one the things we neglect to remember is that sometimes we need to take a break from the noise and, yes, from the poison as well. In a way, these two weeks have acted as a much needed break to think things over and reflect on the past few months since I returned to Atlasia, but they were certainly not meant to be just a break at first. My sudden departure had been considered before (and was therefore not as impulsive as it seemed), but it was indeed executed in a moment of sheer disappointment.

Already uneasy about the prospect of another four months of status quo, to find my efforts to give the Fremont Senate race a proper democratic closure (on the false assumption of victory) viciously attacked alongside my own character and motivations by some individuals (who at least to me were certainly not in a moral position to throw stones) was rather discouraging, if not infuriating. To later hear they insulted me and danced on my grave on Discord certainly didn’t suggest I had made the wrong choice by leaving. However, there were also several friends who came forward to ask, or to talk things over, or to encourage me to just return, and it is certainly something I appreciated a lot.

Return:

Ultimately, I took the time I needed to think it over and I realized that abandoning the game over this particular issue wasn’t exactly the best decision to make. Not when I’ve worked for the Republic for over six years and when there are more dignified ways to leave than by giving some hypocritical comments more validity than they should reasonably have. I won't sugarcoat the fact that I don’t like the current state of the game (controlled as it is by unscrupulous Discord cliques), nor am I particularly hopeful about it meaningfully changing anytime soon. That, however, is not to say things may not change.

Myself I haven't quite decided what I will do next, although a return to the press arena via The Crusader has seemed quite attractive and an interesting way to contribute. But all in good time. For the time being, I'm optimistic about coming back for some time at least.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2018, 06:40:54 PM »

Welcome back!
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #164 on: July 08, 2018, 09:28:46 PM »

Glad to have you back!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #165 on: July 08, 2018, 09:41:14 PM »

P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #166 on: July 09, 2018, 12:39:13 AM »

Love it!! Hope you stay as active as you can be. It's great to have you around
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #167 on: July 09, 2018, 10:56:05 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2018, 12:06:23 AM by Lumine »

Back to Basics:
Running for Fremont Parliament

Press Release: Somewhat rested after a break, former President Lumine ruled out today any interest in returning to the Senate and wowed instead to return to regional politics to find a more stimulating challenge, announcing his bid for the upcoming elections in Fremont as "Back to Basics".

You must be logged in to read this quote.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #168 on: July 09, 2018, 11:09:29 PM »

Endorsed! It'll be interesting to see what you'll do in Parliament!
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #169 on: July 10, 2018, 12:03:18 AM »

Endorsed, Lumine!  It's great to have you back in the game and I look forward to seeing your work in Parliament. Smiley
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #170 on: July 10, 2018, 01:45:40 AM »

Endorsed
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #171 on: July 10, 2018, 01:46:53 AM »

Endorsed, Lumine!  It's great to have you back in the game and I look forward to seeing your work in Parliament. Smiley

Endorsed! It'll be interesting to see what you'll do in Parliament!

Thank you, gentlemen! Much appreciated.

Some of you know I'm currently running a poll regarding Discord, and I've continued to recieve most fascinating responses from a determined critic (aptly titled "youre a fraud" in the latest false response). He was kind enough to leave me some questions and a general statement, which I might as well answer here:

I lost it three to be precise, and I won it once. I can't be held responsible for Senatorial turnout, but might as well point out one of my victories was the second most active election in Atlasian history.

Your point being? I don't play the game to be popular and widely liked, you know.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #172 on: July 10, 2018, 02:04:13 AM »

¡Te respaldo!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #173 on: July 10, 2018, 02:22:24 AM »

Out of region endorsement!

Whoever is trolling your poll needs to stop, especially such vicious and intolerable attacks.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies