Primary Night Results Thread (AL, CA, IA, MT, NJ, NM, SD) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:08:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Primary Night Results Thread (AL, CA, IA, MT, NJ, NM, SD) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Primary Night Results Thread (AL, CA, IA, MT, NJ, NM, SD)  (Read 32925 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: June 03, 2008, 07:02:37 PM »

By the way, the split primary is a horrible idea, and turnout in California is expected to be rotten.

Ditto for New Jersey.  (And, of course, this would be the first year New Jersey has ever had a split primary, so turnout should be absolutely abysmal.)
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 08:04:36 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2008, 08:06:29 PM by Mr. Moderate, SoFA »

The numbers in on the GOP side are absolutely pathetic and abysmal.

I'm gonna call for Lautenberg, Kelly, and Lance.

There are 0 precincts in for Burlco.  How the hell can you call a race for Kelly when Meyers is going to slaughter him in Burlco?

Update: The numbers for Meyers look darn good in Ocean—he's only back by about 25.  I think Meyers has the edge based on the Ocean numbers.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 08:12:57 PM »

Pennacchio recovers with over 70% in Passaic County.

That'll probably be the theme of the night.  70%+ wins for each GOP candidate with the line.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 08:23:06 PM »

Pennacchio recovers with over 70% in Passaic County.

That'll probably be the theme of the night.  70%+ wins for each GOP candidate with the line.

Which means we might have a long wait if Bergen is the last county in. Pennacchio trails significantly right now but had the line here, and Bergen will probably have the most votes in both primaries (Essex might have more in the Democratic primary).

I would expect Burlington County to have rather strong GOP turnout based on an interparty fight there—there's real reason for Burlco GOPers to show up other than this miserable Senate race.

Zimmer has the organization line in Burlco, which should easily offset Pennachio gains in Bergen.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 08:28:31 PM »

The early numbers look REAL good for Lance.  He's got 63% in Hunterdon County.  Whitman is currently in 3rd because Kelly Hatfield had the line in Union.

Whitman is doing okay in Somerset—a distant second, but not too distant—so I'd guess she'll probably save some face with a 2nd place finish overall.  Just barely, though.  Lance by a mile.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 08:34:21 PM »

Who is Justin Murphy and why is he leading Chris Myers, the pick of the retiring GOP congressman?

Because there has yet to be a single Burlington County precinct to report.  Myers will bounce back in a huge way once it starts reporting, presumably to victory.

(Murphy is the token conservative, endorsed by Bret "Who Even Cares Anymore" Schundler.)
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 08:40:21 PM »

Who is Justin Murphy and why is he leading Chris Myers, the pick of the retiring GOP congressman?

Because there has yet to be a single Burlington County precinct to report.  Myers will bounce back in a huge way once it starts reporting, presumably to victory.

(Murphy is the token conservative, endorsed by Bret "Who Even Cares Anymore" Schundler.)
Thanks.

Ah, okay, this makes more sense:  Murphy is on the same slate as Murray Sabrin, who is somehow getting to 30% in Ocean.  They have the exactly identical percentage (surprise, surprise).
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 09:09:56 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2008, 09:11:35 PM by Mr. Moderate, SoFA »

Mr. Moderate, do you know who had the line in the GOP Senate primary in Camden County?

Dick Zimmer.  Don't expect many votes there on the GOP side, though.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 10:34:18 AM »

Is Camile Andrews the actual candidate for her husband's district?  I thought she was supposed to be a filler until they found a viable candidate.

She has, basically, until October to step aside and be replaced with whomever Democrats want her to be replaced with.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 11:37:06 AM »

You're probably right about loebsack, just trying to find at least a little good news for the gop tonite.

Leonard Lance over Kate Christie?
I guess this is good news.  I mean both candidates have advantages over each other.  Lance seems like a genuinely nice guy and very kind and courteous plus he has the experience (15 years in the state Senate).  However, Whitman seemed to have the enthusiasm and drive to beat Stender, and being a young and personable candidate helped too.  All in all, both would have been good candidates IMO, and I'm glad Lance got the nod (as opposed to Kelly Hatfield or Martin Marks).

Indeed, if you care about holding on to NJ-07, last night was doubly good news as Dick Zimmer won the GOP nod for U.S. Senate.  While he's likely to get overwhelmed by Lautenberg in the general, it's worth noting that he absolutely crushed Pennachio in his old CD (which is, basically, a modified version of NJ-07): he won Hunterdon by 60–30, especially impressive because Pennachio had the "line" there.  Zimmer also scored an off-the-line victory in Somerset, besting Pennachio 46–43.

Having a U.S. Senate candidate on top of the ticket who is destined to win NJ-07 bodes very well for Lance.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 05:16:26 PM »

You're probably right about loebsack, just trying to find at least a little good news for the gop tonite.

Leonard Lance over Kate Christie?
I guess this is good news.  I mean both candidates have advantages over each other.  Lance seems like a genuinely nice guy and very kind and courteous plus he has the experience (15 years in the state Senate).  However, Whitman seemed to have the enthusiasm and drive to beat Stender, and being a young and personable candidate helped too.  All in all, both would have been good candidates IMO, and I'm glad Lance got the nod (as opposed to Kelly Hatfield or Martin Marks).

Indeed, if you care about holding on to NJ-07, last night was doubly good news as Dick Zimmer won the GOP nod for U.S. Senate.  While he's likely to get overwhelmed by Lautenberg in the general, it's worth noting that he absolutely crushed Pennachio in his old CD (which is, basically, a modified version of NJ-07): he won Hunterdon by 60–30, especially impressive because Pennachio had the "line" there.  Zimmer also scored an off-the-line victory in Somerset, besting Pennachio 46–43.

Having a U.S. Senate candidate on top of the ticket who is destined to win NJ-07 bodes very well for Lance.
Do you know if Kean won the district against Menendez?

I think I looked this up before for you, and I think the result was that Kean narrowly carried it against Menendez.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 12:49:41 AM »

Though this summer I may campaign for both Zimmer and McCain.  And no, I'm still not voting for McCain.

Campaign for him but not vote for him...?

Given my past experience, it'd be all but impossible to separate the two.  Or even the three: Lance/Zimmer/McCain.  It's all calling and IDing likely GOP voters anyways.  You're almost wasting your time if you're not working all three at once.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies