Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:59:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador  (Read 24625 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2012, 10:43:51 AM »

And I'm utterly disgusted by your support for rapists and terrorists.  Assange has put many people in danger by releasing those documents.

So did Stauffenberg.  I don't see why we should consider that important.

I'd rather just see Assange spend the rest of his miserable life in a federal penitentiary.  That will be enough for most people.  

What for?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 12:15:43 PM »

disturbing... people who think "maybe rape isn't so bad as long as the perp has other accomplishments to show for".

I don't think it is so much that as just that people tend to doubt the allegations, or even if they were true, many people don't find them to conform to their idea or definition of 'rape'.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 05:30:28 PM »

Actually, opebo, I think most believe it was he-said she-said. 

Yeah, that's what I mean when I say they 'doubt the allegations'.  I mean, how could you not?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 01:52:01 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2012, 02:02:29 PM by opebo »

Kind of amusing to see several of the legal myths thrown around by Assange's defence team repeated here immediately after I posted a piece that, basically, tears them to shreds.

Here it is again, for anyone that's interested.

Hey Al, it turns out that article you linked twice is wrong (according to this Guardian article)!  It is in fact up to the Swedish government to extradite or not extradite, and it could in fact make promises or 'guarantees' about same.  And another source debunking your article.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 02:32:07 PM »

I'm no diplomatic expert and like opebo, I'm a lazy, so I'll ask - Isn't a diplomatic vehicle and a diplomatic plane the property of the foreign gummit?  I'm guessing no or he'd be in Quito by now.....but enlighten me.

Yeah, they probably wouldn't enter Ecuador's car or plane (though I'm guessing Ecuador only used ordinary commercial flights), I think the issue is that even if he were transported without notice to the airport, he would still have to pass through some form of immigration control.  Diplomats do as well - they have their own line for rushed service, but they still have to go though it.  I imagine there are cases - maybe american diplomats, highly ranked members of governments, and I would even guess some of the super-rich, whose immigrations processing is taken care of on their own private plane, but a delegation from immigration, dealing with minions. 

But the fact remains, everyone (other than maybe a head-of-state) who goes into and out of a country still has to have a passport, show it, and get stamped in or out.  I don't think he could get out, leaving aside the idea of Ecuador deliberately violating British immigration law by smuggling him out in a bag, which I don't think they would do.  Quite frankly I think it is far more likely that Britain will break with diplomatic protocol by simply removing  him from the Embassy than that Ecuador will try to get him on a plane.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 06:21:21 AM »
« Edited: August 31, 2012, 06:23:40 AM by opebo »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19433294

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I can't think of any reason for Sweden to drop the case, let alone drop it so soon.

Well, it certainly is the opposite delusion of the one of which he is normally accused.
Pages: 1 [2]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies