A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 10:49:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 47
Poll
Question: Should I go on?
Yes

I don't care

No

Hell No!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: A Second Chance - CONCLUSION  (Read 290081 times)
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: May 21, 2011, 09:01:30 PM »

Hold on, I'll ask Jesus. Turns out heaven has free wi-fi and free laptops, so this may continue.
Apparently you got raptured and I didn't, so that answers my questions Tongue.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #551 on: May 21, 2011, 09:59:30 PM »

Hold on, I'll ask Jesus. Turns out heaven has free wi-fi and free laptops, so this may continue.

He says it'll depend on your future TL's and some other stuff about religion, but the main point was the timelines.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #552 on: May 21, 2011, 11:02:40 PM »

He says it'll depend on your future TL's and some other stuff about religion, but the main point was the timelines.
Well, he better be a Nixon fan.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #553 on: May 26, 2011, 08:14:13 PM »

March 29th, 1979
Nuclear Meltdown on Three-Mile Island!
At the Three-Mile Island Nuclear Generating Station in Pennsylvania, it seems nuclear power, which since the energy crisis and rising oil price in the early seventies affected the economy, has been a driving force in powering homes, has taken a turn for the worst. Nuclear power, whose proponents and opponents are on both the Right and the Left, seems to have been dealt a blow when news was leaked to the press of the meltdown which has spread across every media and now to newspaper. As of now details remain sketchy, the Nuclear Regulatory Comission has attempted to expain details of nuclear power and its hazards to the press and to the public in general. From what we know, the meltdown was caused by a series of small reactions called a chain reaction beginning with the failing of condensate polishers, sophisticated filters. This resulted in a complicated chain of events that are still hard to understand and even harder to explain, and the current meltdown is the result.

History of the Plant

The Three-Mile Island Nuclear Generating Station, located in Dauphis Country, Pennsylvania near Harrisburg, was first opened in 1970 in response to rising gas prices as tension in the Middle East rose. The building was comissioned by Congress and promoted by President Kennedy at the time. When President Agnew took office in 1973, he made the promotion of nuclear energy a top priority, given the plant much more importance to the local area and to the areas it powered. It was he who signed over more money to the plant, getting it to its current size today. By certain members of President Bobby Kennedy's press team, it seems they are trying to dump the majority of the blame on Agnew.

Former President Spiro T Agnew is expected to take a large amount of the blame for the meltdown

Governor Thronburgh's Reaction

"Because of the dangers of unharnessed nuclear power and other toxic chemicals that are the result of this type of reactor, I as Governor am advising the evacuation of pregnant women and pre-school age children...within a five-mile radius of the Three Mile Island facility." states Governor Dick Thronburgh, a Republican. This statement was released on the advice of Joseph Hendrie, Chariman of the Nuclear Regulatory Comission. Other statements have been issued by people such as Lieutenant Governor William Scranton III with a calmer reaction. However, Governor Thornburgh is saying as of now that "no chances can be taken in the protection of lives."

Governor Thornburgh has advised evacuation of pregnant women and small children in a five-mile radius of the plant

All the President's Men

Meanwhile, in Washington DC, President Robert F Kennedy has worked quickly to come into contact with local authorities, Governor Thornburgh, members of the Nuclear Regulatory Comission, and experts on nuclear energy. However, as of now, two prominent men in President Kennedy's cabinet have stepped forward as the leading men in terms of knowledge of and interest in nuclear energy: Defense Secretary Jimmy Carter who worked with nuclear power as a member of the Navy and has made nuclear safety a top priority when it comes to nuclear submarines and missile silos, and Interior Secretary Ralph Nader who is a known environmentalist who has cautined every President since Jack Kennedy on the dangers of nuclear energy. While Carter has taken a hands on approach, having scheduled a trip up to the Three-Mile Island nucleare power plant, Nader has gone on the war path criticizing nuclear policies of the nine years as well as calling for a full out investigation into the safety and handling practices of the operators of the nuclear power plant.

Defense Secretary Jimmy Carter--a leading member of the cabinet on nuclear energy and Kennedy's right hand man during the crisis

Outside the Whitehouse

This incident has evoked two responses. One, coming from environmentally conscious Senators who have been opponents of President Kennedy such as Senator Mike Gravel (D-AK) and Senator Mark Hatfield (R-OR), the call for the increasing of safety regulations, and in Gravel's place, the complete shut down of nuclear energy plants has been called for. Gravel throughout the years since his entry into the Senate in 1968 has made himself an opponent of every incumbent President, including and starting at Jack Kennedy. This merely gives Gravel another issue to disagree with the President on. In terms of state Governors, such as New York Governor Daniel Patrick Moynihan and Maryland Governor Marvin Mendel, a large amount of potential aid has been pledge to Pennsylvania if need be, and nearly all Governors of neighboring states have sent out statements of hope for the people of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #554 on: May 26, 2011, 09:52:49 PM »

Wow. Looking back, I just realized that yesterday was the six month anniversary for this thing.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #555 on: May 27, 2011, 04:19:29 PM »

...and you're in it nearly 20 years. Almost halfway to present...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #556 on: May 27, 2011, 06:17:25 PM »

...and you're in it nearly 20 years. Almost halfway to present...

Only around 29 more years til the 2008 Presidential election. Given how long this thing goes, heck, I'll probably be into 2012 before it's done.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #557 on: May 27, 2011, 06:55:09 PM »

Three-Mile Island. Before March 29th, 1979, barely anyone outside of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania had heard those words or cared as to their meaning. However, on early morning of March 29th, the entire country was aware of its existence. A nuclear energy plant in Pennsylvania, the plant had been first created in 1970 and since then had received government funding, primarily from the Agnew Administration, to continue and grow as gas prices themselves grew. In the after-math, it was made clear to those that cared that the safety procedures had been in adequate, there were problems in the plant, and that nuclear power was an incredibly dangerous source of energy. When I woke up on the morning of March 29th, 1979 in my Washington DC residence, making myself a cup of coffee, I turned on the morning news, surprised to see scenes of a nuclear power plant I'd never heard of surrounded by reporters and police cars as the anchor attempted to inform us, the viewers, as to what was happening. Finding out about the nuclear radiation leak, the danger, what had happened, I was enraged. For over ten years since entering the Senate, I had worked hard to combat the dangers of nuclear energy, both on the environment and on people. It had started with tests of nuclear weaponry, the Spartan anti-ballistic missile interceptor. As John F Kennedy was attempting in 1969 to test more weaponry to fuel his military-industrial complex, I as a representative of Alaska, was able to stop the second test, the so-called Cankin test. The earlier test, called the Milrow test, involved the detonation of a nuclear bomb under the island of Amchitka, and the Cankin Test was soon to follow. As a member of a group opposing the Cankin test, eventually, the Cankin test was haulted. To this day the actions of the Kennedy brothers, George Bush, and Spiro T Agnew anger me as I remember the damage done to the environment, not only in Alaska, but in other places, because of their continual want to produce nuclear weaponry. Opposing the Cankin test was where it started as during my tenure on capitol hill I became one of the chief advocates for an end to the War in Vietnam, and end to the War in Palestine, and above all, a nuclear freeze. Seeing those images of reporters and cars surrounding the leaking nuclear plant reminded me of the last ten years and I was determined to put a stop to the dangeroud issue of nuclear energy. However, the alliance that formed between myself and Interior Secretary Ralph Nader was not to last as Bobby Kennedy was determined to carry out his agenda regardless of the lives lost because of Three-Mile Island, and eventually Ralph Nader resigned in disgust.
-The Death of the Democrats, Mike Gravel, (c) 1996
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #558 on: May 28, 2011, 04:52:46 PM »

This is not going to play well come 1980..
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #559 on: May 28, 2011, 09:07:41 PM »

This is not going to play well come 1980..

As of now, Kennedy's doing a lot better than Carter was doing in real life.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #560 on: May 28, 2011, 09:28:16 PM »

When I was woken up early on the morning of March 29th, I had no idea of what I would be dealing with in the coming days. Rushed from bed and quickly briefed by the Secret Service and the CIA, Press Secretary Pierre Salinger was attempting to stall the press while I was waited for. Coming before the press, I had only the information force fed to me beforehand and a written statement put in front of me.
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I was unaccostumed to having to do such a thing, not having truly handled a crisis during my years in politics.

During his days in the Navy, Jimmy Carter was part of a team sent to Canada to assist in the shutdown of the Chalk River Nuclear Reactor. To help fix the problem, which had in fact already resulted in an explosion sending toxic water into a nearby river, Carter took a detailed process, including setting up a model of the reactor in order to see how to properly go in their and seal if off. During the execution of the actual disassembly each team member, including Carter, donned protective gear, was lowered individually into the reactor, stayed for only a few seconds at a time to minimize exposure to radiation, and used hand tools to loosen bolts, remove nuts and take the other steps necessary to complete the disassembly process. During his successful and dangerous mission, he learned first hand the dangers of nuclear power and radiation, and said he carried those memories with him the rest of his life. Therefore, during the crisis of Three-Mile Island, he became one of my right hand men in terms of helping to explain the problems, helping to try to find solutions, and in fact being one of those to head the investigation into the crisis afterwords. During those days he became one of the most valuable members of my cabinet.

The other man to accompany me was the intellectual, New Left Liberal, Interior Secretary Ralph Nader. A through-and-through Progressive, Nader was one of the few in my cabinet. Despite certain political differences in almost every area, Nader proved to be a valuable man in also helping to advise on the dangers, albeit from a different perspective. He had spent a lot of his professional life, especially since 1970, working to spread awareness of the dangers of nuclear power, and it finally took an accident like Three-Mile Island to demonstrate it first hand to me.

On that morning, after the press briefing, I left the stage, hearing Pierre come back towards the podium saying "The President will take no questions now." I had a horrible feeling that we would be dealing with this for days to come, and I was glad to have those two men, Nader and Carter, along for the ride, even if at the end, that disaster would be the very least of my troubles.

-In My Defense, Robert F Kennedy, (c) 1984
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #561 on: June 03, 2011, 10:17:49 PM »

Too lazy to update on  3-mile isle, (rhymes, see?), so updates may be shortly forthcoming that are from before then.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #562 on: June 03, 2011, 10:31:38 PM »

March 17th, 1979
Over the phone...
    McCloskey: Please. Don't run. The moderate wing needs one champion, not a divided field. Please don't run.
    Lindsay: Have you seen your numbers? Two days ago, you had between ten and fifteen percent. You had even less yesterday.
    McCloskey: The nation's sick of war. I can be the peace candidate.
    Lindsay: Taft's a peace candidate too! Hatfield's going to be a peace candidate pretty soon! The truly Liberal wing of the party needs a representative, someone who can truly represent Republican values of equality, and I have the name recognition and experience!
    McCloskey: You might've been Attorney General, you might've been in Congress, you might've been New York City Mayor, you might've been Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. However, you're an insider like only a few others, including Haig, are. You're not even popular in New York City, where you were elected Governor twice. How do you expect to do in a Republican primary, much, much more Conservative than New York? I was elected as an anti-war candidate in one of the most pro-war districts in the nation in 1966! I've got a record of actually winning races and being popular! You've one how many, four political races in your life? The last one in 1973 with a popular vote in the thirties? How do you expect you'll do any better? How-
    Lindsay: I'll tell you why, McCloskey. Because I've got actual experience. I can brag about running the Justice Department for four years-
    McCloskey: You didn't even do anything while in there! You were a political newbie given the job out of fear of offending Rockefeller's wing! That was the least active branch of the entire Nixon Administration!
    Lindsay: I ran the Justice Department for four years. I ran New York City for seven, and I ran the HUD Department for four. I have connections forged since the nineteen fifties, and I have influence in New England and I can win Vermont and Massachusetts.
    McCloskey: We shall see about that.
    Lindsay: Oh, we will.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #563 on: June 03, 2011, 11:12:59 PM »

Lindsay is going to run too? This is going to be a great election, to say the least.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #564 on: June 04, 2011, 10:06:58 AM »

March 23rd. 1979
The backyard of former Secretary of State Nelson Rockefeller...
    Lindsay: I'd like to consult you on one issue that's been bugging me.
    Rockefeller: And what would that be?
    Lindsay: The Presidency. The legacy you and Win left in this party, I fear that it won't be carried on in 1980. I'm afraid that the Conservatives, a group we've been fighting for God know how long, will take over this party.
    Rockefeller: I've been fearing that much too much since leaving my duties as Secretary of State behind me. I had heard that endorsements were planned to line up for Congressman McCloskey, though.
    Lindsay: Well that's what I had planned with a number of colleuges, including of course Jake.[Former New York Senator Jacob Javits] However, McCloskey is doomed to fail. Once Hatfield steps in, which he will, McCloskey's entire issue: being a moderate anti-war Republican, is eclipsed. I and many others were hoping for a candidate who could truly stand on his own accomplishments and wouldn't rely solely on the war.
    Rockefeller: Certainly you don't want me to run. My time has come.
    Lindsay: If only... but I knew you wouldn't accept any draft. I've actually been thinking about running with your endorsement.
    Rockefeller: Are you thinking of running?
    Lindsay: Yes. I've been involved in politics since 1958 with experience in two administrations as well as executive and legislative experience. Others, like Congressman Jon Anderson of Illinois, didn't have the name recognition, and Lowell Weicker has declined offers to run.
    Rockefeller: If you run, you run with my blessing. Do what you have to to save this party. I'll endorse you, donate, and funnel as much money as I can your way. After all, you should have the Silk Stoking District backing you, and that means a lot.
    Lindsay: Thank you.

Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #565 on: June 04, 2011, 10:09:36 AM »

this will be an epic primary, and a remarkable election, too =)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #566 on: June 04, 2011, 10:15:31 AM »

For the record, on 3-mile isle, I'm not ginog to be able to give all the scientific details given that I barely understand the details, so it will wrap up in a few updates in a way that will, at least to me, have to be unsatisfactory.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #567 on: June 04, 2011, 10:17:19 AM »

Lindsay is going to run too? This is going to be a great election, to say the least.

this will be an epic primary, and a remarkable election, too =)

Thanks. I'm hoping it will be.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #568 on: June 04, 2011, 05:52:32 PM »

JFK never was President and never will be President in my TLs Grin

Well, technically he was one, but not of the United States
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #569 on: June 04, 2011, 08:27:19 PM »

JFK never was President and never will be President in my TLs Grin

Well, technically he was one, but not of the United States

Sooooooo....??
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #570 on: June 04, 2011, 10:02:44 PM »

March 30th, 1979
The Crisis Continues
Already while workers in Pennsylvania's Three Mile Island work tirelessly to contain any possible disaster and the Nuclear Regulatory Comission is looking for possible options and attempting to handly the public's question, President Kennedy appears to have sprung into action on the Federal level, declaring that once the crisis is over, investigations shall begin a complete investigation into nuclear safety procedures. Heading these investigations, assumedly, would be one of the "right hand men" that Kennedy has kept by his side these last twenty-four hours: Defense Secretary Jimmy Carter and Interior Secretary Ralph Nader.

As for the disaster itself, news has people teetering on the edge of their seats as reports of a potential release of atomic material into the Susquehanna River, and of the possible community effects. News stations have been calling in so-called experts who themselves are attempting to explain the situation. Workers at the plant are hard at work attempting to identify exact problems, solutions, and the general goings on of the machinery and materials inside the plant.

Politically, Kennedy supporters have gone into overdrive in pushing for the passing of the Energy Observance and Policy Formation Act, the lengthy title of a lengthy bill that, in short, creates the prospective Department of Energy. Democrats ranging from Ted Kennedy to George McGovern to Sam Nunn spoke before the Senate calling for the final passage, and it is speculated it could come about as soon as the first week of April. Senate Majority Leader Robert Byrd, despite supporting the act in the Senate, has privately told out sources that he is worried about how the Kennedy administration and the potential Energy Secretary would deal with fuel issues such as coal. Byrd, a Senator from West Virginia, has a lot to worry about when it comes to coal.

Vice-President George McGovern (D-SD) speaking before Congress

In terms of Presidential politics, critics on both sides of the aisle, mostly from the left of both parties, and potential challengers to President Kennedy, have sprung up. From President Kennedy's own part Senator Mike Gravel (AK) and former Senator Eugene McCarthy (MN) have come out as severe critics of nuclear energy since the breaking of the news of the disaster early yesterday morning. "It's funny" President Kennedy replied to reports of the criticisms, "I can't really recall old Gene making a huge stand against nuclear energy when the plants were being built. And as for Mike, it's not like anyone listens to him anyway." Both McCarthy and Gravel are considered possible challengers from the Left to President Kennedy's assumed re-nomination in 1980. Vice-President George McGovern, at one time a member of the New Left, has remained closely by the President's side despite criticisms. As for the Republicans, Congressman Pete McCloskey (CA), Congressman John Anderson (IL), and Senator Mark Hatfield (OR) have become some of his staunchest critics. However, Hatfield is the only one truly drawing attention as he detailed earlier today on the Senate floor the lack of caution and regulation used in the Three-Mile Island Nuclear Generating Station. Despite Hatfield's status as a very possible candidate for the Republican nomination next year, he is considered by some on President Kennedy's short list to become the first Secretary of Energy.[/i]

Other News

Could Lindsay Run?
Former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, a consumate insider and member of the Republican Party's Liberal Wing, has previously gone around meeting with the remaining Liberal wing of the party, including Congressman John Anderson (IL), Senator Lowell Weicker (CT), Senator John Chaffee (RI), Senator Elliot Richardson (MA), and of course former Secretary of State Nelson Rockefeller (NY). While other famed moderats such as the ones above appear as much stronger candidates, it seems that the Liberal wing of the Republcan party will soon be pushing Lindsay as their candidate. While this has surprised some given the amount of criticism that Lindsay took as Mayor of New York City, he has been one of the most active members of the Rockefeller Republicans, and other, stronger possibilities such as Richardson, Chaffee, or Weicker have declined interest in running for President.

Could John Lindsay be Rockefeller's candidate in 1980?

Among Lindsay's credentials are one term in the House of Representatives, four years as United States Attorney General, seven years as Mayor of New York City, and four years as Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. Despite claims that he was the worst New York City Mayor of the twentieth century and only winning re-election with little more than a third of the popular vote, some voices in the opposition have claimed "By 1973, his last year in office, Mr. Lindsay had become a more seasoned, pragmatic mayor", and according to assessments by both Presidents Agnew and Bush, he served competently as HUD Secretary. However, this all begs the question "Is meer competency enough?"

Who Bugged Bob Gates?
According to investigators inside the Washington DC Police Department, a number of suspects are currently being formulated as to who was responsible for the bugging of Robert Gates' office, which was discovered on March 3rd and first reported on March 5th. According to an inside source, possible suspects include men who, in fact, worked for the CIA. While this might be a surprising revelation, it in no way establishes any connection between the bugging and the CIA, though it does draw into question the honesty in government, especially after the Agnew years.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #571 on: June 04, 2011, 10:09:05 PM »

Given this thing's length, it is very possible that it could get to one hundred pages before I'm done. I've only gotten 19 years so far, yet I'm on page 39. Not only that, but the years between 1960 and 1964 are very short in comparison to the rest of the thing, and I keep dragging this on even longer as I get further into it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #572 on: June 07, 2011, 06:32:35 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2011, 11:35:21 AM by Cathcon »

March 27th Republican Primary Polling
With the four declared Republican candidates as the only options, a poll was taken of likely Republican voters in all fifty states. The poll has yielding some expected and some surprising results as it seems that Congressman Donald Rumsfeld is the GOP favorite of the four, with Alexander Haig in a very distant second, followed by Robert Taft Jr., and lastly, Congressman Pete McCloskey who failed even to win his home state in the poll.

Blue-Congressman Donald Rumsfeld of Illinois
Red-General Alexander Haig of Pennsylvania
Yellow-Senator Robert Taft Jr. of Ohio
Green-Congressman Pete McCloskey of California

Following this, there has been pressure on Rumsfeld supporters to convince un-announced but perceived frontrunners such as Ronald Reagan, Howard Baker, and Mark Hatfield to formally announce that they will not run, and endorse Rumsfeld. However, none of those potential front-runners have responded to the Rumsfeld campaign. Will Rumsfeld take the day for Conservatives and Moderates alike? Or will he, upon the entry of other, more well known candidates, simply fizzle? only time will tell. Of note, despite Rumsfeld's apparent lead, is the fact that Taft is narrowly leading in the two earliest major states to vote in the Republican primaries: Iowa and New Hampshire. Could this in itself, be the groundwork for Taft to claim the nomination later down the line, and result, as 1968 did, in the nomination of an anti-war candidate? All of these questions will be answered in time.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #573 on: June 09, 2011, 02:33:02 PM »

March 31st, 1979
"Crisis Over" Claim Three-Mile Island Workers; May Affect 1980 Presidential Race

Late this afternoon, workers at the Three-Mile Island nuclear generating plant claim to have successfully stabilized the reactor after hours of hard work that has been going on since March 28th. While these four days might not seem like much, to the workers inside the plant, they have been an eternity of working hours in horrible conditions that many were themselves afraid to go into for fear of radiation poisoning. However, the end of the crisis is not the end of the cleanup as, reportedly, hazardous materials were released into the Susquehanna River, and the clean-up inside the plant is rumored to be years' worth or work. Nevertheless, Governor Dick Thornburgh of Pennsylvania has announced that the fear of radiation leakage because of the crisis is over. In news that he has attempted to keep much quieter, he has also ordered the quarantining of tghe Susquehanna River until it is made clear that it is perfectly safe.

Despite the end of this crisis in the eyes of many, critics still remain staunch on their opposition to nuclear power. This is having an effect in and out of the Whitehouse as Interior Secretary Ralph Nader has announced that come May 1st, he will no longer be the Secretary of the Interior due to "unbridgable differences". (see "Nader Resigning" below). Outside the Whitehouse, potential Presidential candidate Senator Mark Hatfield (R-OR) has risen considerably in the polls, and is, for the first time, leading the field. Since the 28th, his out of state approvals have been on a rise as has the perceived imminence of his potential candidacy. The seeming standard of anti-war moderate Republicans, Hatfield has made a name for himself as a man who is environmentally conscious. Polls indicate that, among likely Republican primary voters, he is leading:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Oregon Republican is currently leading the field of potential Republican candidates

It seems the man hardest hit is Congressman Pete McCloskey. While out of the four announced candidates, he would stand a good chance, if one were to merely interject the entire potential field, he is quickly crowded out and reduced to only the most Liberal Republicans. Among youth, McCloskey had been polling a good third when only presented with the four candidates. However, among youth, Hatfield is clearly leading with Reagan seeming to have rallied the “Young Turk” Conservatives despite his age.

Other News

Elliot Richardson Will Not Run

”Now, there’s been talk of me possibly running for the 1980 Republican nomination. I’ve had calls from several high ranking moderate Republicans asking me to run. I’d like to make clear for all anticipating my candidacy, that I do not intend on running for the Republican nomination. I am happy here in the Senate and I feel that I can do much more for not only the people of Massachusetts, but of America from where I am now. There is a very diverse and talented field of announced and potential candidates out there, and I’d like to see where that goes. However I will not run”, says Senator Elliot Richardson of Massachusetts. A high ranking Liberal Republican from “The Kennedy State”, he has been considered by some inside the Washington belt-way as a possible candidate, possibly running as the new standard bearer of the dying Liberal wing.

Nader Resigning

Interior Secretary Ralph Nader, after “having looked at the President’s long term environmental policy goals”, has said that come May 1st, he will no longer be America’s Interior Secretary. “President Kennedy has environmental preservation nowhere near the top of his agenda” said Secretary Nader at his press conference earlier today. “He is no opponent of nuclear power and no opponent of oil. After this Three-Mile Island Crisis blows over, he will push even harder for nuclear energy, just as his brother did ten years ago.” These statements have brought up controversy as Nader himself worked for the first Kennedy Administration as the first Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency. However, the ever so controversial Nader has said “I am done with the Kennedys. There priorities are in their political dynasty, not in the good of the American people or the environment they live in.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #574 on: June 09, 2011, 02:56:03 PM »

I see a potential Nader primary challenge...
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies