2020 Census Questions Submitted to Congress (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:37:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census Questions Submitted to Congress (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Census Questions Submitted to Congress  (Read 2314 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: March 30, 2018, 10:47:28 AM »

Good to see that the 2020 Census will include the citizenship question again.

The citizenship status is an integral part of any census around the world and scrapping it was a step back IMO.

Hopefully the Democrats strip this after they win back the House in 2018. Don't want a rigged Census.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 11:29:54 AM »

Good to see that the 2020 Census will include the citizenship question again.

The citizenship status is an integral part of any census around the world and scrapping it was a step back IMO.

Hopefully the Democrats strip this after they win back the House in 2018. Don't want a rigged Census.

Please stop playing the victim here (that's also an advice to other Democrats in general).

And I'm a Democratic-leaning person myself (if I were to live in the US of course).

The Census is not "rigged", just because it includes a question for citizenship. That was the case in all censuses (or censi ??) so far and was never really a controversial issue, until some thought to politicize it.

A) answering the census questions do not lead to deportation, because the census answers have strict privacy protection. That Democrats continue to use this line of argument is really sad and annoying. Instead, they should strongly communicate it to minorities and immigrants ahead of the Census that by taking part in the Census, they are not deported or face any other personal consequences.

B) immigrants do not only have rights, but also duties. Filling out the census form and declaring that they are non-citizens is one of those duties.

The bolded is false. The Census included the question up through 1950 (not sure exactly how far back), but it was dropped in 1960 out of concern that it conflicted with anti-discrimination considerations and the interest in ensuring a complete count and has not been included in any Census from 1960-2010. One should hardly be surprised that Censuses before 1960 were not exactly non-discriminatory.

That you for educating him. The citizen number is included in the ACS survey, I don't see why that needed to change, other than to rig the census.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies