What was the most hyped and talked-about campaign event that ended up not meaning anything?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:00:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What was the most hyped and talked-about campaign event that ended up not meaning anything?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What was the most hyped and talked-about campaign event that ended up not meaning anything?  (Read 540 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2021, 08:41:22 PM »

I'm going to go with Trump catching Covid. After that the Doomers were convinced the election was over and Biden was absolutely done, and a lot of anti-Trump people actually thought it might hurt Trump...in the end it turned out to be a total non-issue in terms of electoral impact. I doubt it moved a single vote. Maybe a handful of suburban Republican types who were looking for an excuse to vote against Trump might've cited his recklessness in exposing the Secret Service, etc. after it as such a reason, but frankly at that point there was already plenty of excuses.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 03:19:54 AM »
« Edited: July 03, 2021, 01:50:15 AM by "?" »

Kanye West announcing his candidacy.

Folks were freaking the hell out about him taking youth & minority votes from Biden, even though it was way too late to make an impact in the states that mattered and anyone remotely aware of his actions over the past decade could see that was a laughable take.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 05:55:19 AM »

I'm going to go with Trump catching Covid. After that the Doomers were convinced the election was over and Biden was absolutely done, and a lot of anti-Trump people actually thought it might hurt Trump...in the end it turned out to be a total non-issue in terms of electoral impact. I doubt it moved a single vote. Maybe a handful of suburban Republican types who were looking for an excuse to vote against Trump might've cited his recklessness in exposing the Secret Service, etc. after it as such a reason, but frankly at that point there was already plenty of excuses.

It did correlate with Trump's low point in the polls happening a few days later and much of the electorate then voting. Indeed, Biden's lead was always higher than it was before Trump got Covid. It made him look weak, elevated the issue even further and topped off a bad issue for him, so it's plausible, but not certain, that it did swing enough to flip the presidency (tbf, it's hard to separate the diagnosis and the first debate).
EJ24
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 08:09:15 AM »

Tara Reade and the many attempts early on to turn Biden into some kind of groping, handsy rapist/pervert. People just did not buy any of it.
KYRockefeller
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 04:59:07 AM »

Eh, Trump getting COVID, announced so soon after what I thought was an awful first debate performance, was a devastating 1-2 punch that the campaign never recovered from.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 01:41:00 PM »

Trump getting Covid-19 after several super spreader events directly coming from The White House made him look foolish and it was clear he did not have a handle on the pandemic. He couldn't even protect himself with the best medical staff and security protocols that this country is supposed to have. It looked chaotic and pathetic when he had to be rushed to Walter Reed.
Motorcity

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 10:23:50 PM »

Tara Reade and the many attempts early on to turn Biden into some kind of groping, handsy rapist/pervert. People just did not buy any of it.
I used to be a member of Alternatehistory.com, which a lot of members here are as well

There was a poster who was really confused why everyone was trying to disprove Tara Reade. He thought it was distastful not to automatically belive every woman. That said, he admitted he wanted Biden dropped from the ticket.

He was attacked by some many people he deleted his account...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies