Ari Fleischer: I'm Limiting Charitable Deductions Due To Smaller Tax Breaks (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:10:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ari Fleischer: I'm Limiting Charitable Deductions Due To Smaller Tax Breaks (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ari Fleischer: I'm Limiting Charitable Deductions Due To Smaller Tax Breaks  (Read 1543 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: January 03, 2013, 01:13:00 AM »
« edited: January 03, 2013, 01:14:37 AM by memphis »

While yes this is a dick move, I do have one question. Of those here complaining, when have you ever yourself donated anywhere close to what he does to charity? I do not know myself how much he donates but I am willing to bet it is more in one check than anyone complaining here has their entire lives given to charity.
I always make an end of the year donation to St Jude's Children Research Hospital. Here in Memphis, they are working diligently to cure childhood cancers. And the survival rate for childhood leukemia, the most common childhood cancer, has gone up from less than 10% when the place was founded in the postwar period (St Jude is the patron saint of lost causes) to over 90% today. And while the dollar figure may not compare with what the richers can give, it's a sizable sum to me. Not talking $20 here. And I'm not reducing it because my payroll taxes just went up. With an attitude like that, I tend to doubt he gives at all. Thankfully, with the new healthcare law, there will be much less need for charity. Right now, much has to be donated just so some people can access basic health care. And that is a crime against humanity.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 11:20:14 AM »

It is often said that conservatives tend to give more to charity… if it is with motivations like this, the point is lost.
This is only "true" because their churches count as "charity." Not how I'd define charity, but I don't work for the IRS.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 05:50:14 PM »

It is often said that conservatives tend to give more to charity… if it is with motivations like this, the point is lost.
This is only "true" because their churches count as "charity." Not how I'd define charity, but I don't work for the IRS.

I wonder how all the nuns working as nurses and teachers are supported? Roll Eyes
Catholic hospitals and schools are paid for by users. If somebody wants to give a donation to either, that is a charitable donation. A gift to a church is clearly not in my book, but again, the IRS has not yet come knocking for my opinion and I'm not holding my breath.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 07:45:43 PM »

I wonder how all the nuns working as nurses and teachers are supported? Roll Eyes In all serious  though, churches spend a lot of money on helping the needy, so it's hardly fair to discount all the money given to churches as "not charity"

On another note, in Canada, religious people still give more even if you don't count churches as charities, which really makes the seculars look like cheapskates.

Well in America (at least) practicing Christians have a reputation for being the cheapest tippers at restaurants. 

Nope, that reputation is held by the blacks. The Jewish have a reputation for being very demanding but generally give a nice tip for good service.  Stereotypes obviously...

Well, blacks are overwhelmingly Chrisitian. They would definately skew the Christian average down. Jews are very fussy about getting the right tabe and making substiutons and such. My dad is the worst. Women are also much more demanding as well and they will get belligerent and hostile if there is a problem.  Indian people always want to argue about prices and are meticulous in checking to make sure they are getting exactly what they ordered. Yuppie white city people are also much better tippers than rural/exurban types. And foreigners are a disaster. Their communication skills are deficient, they're unfriendly and they are poor tippers.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies