Man Accidentally Killed by Police Choke Hold in Staten Island (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 03:02:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Man Accidentally Killed by Police Choke Hold in Staten Island (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Man Accidentally Killed by Police Choke Hold in Staten Island  (Read 8627 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: July 24, 2014, 11:43:48 PM »

That's disgusting.  This is why people hate the police.

I didn't even know they enforce that law.  At the local bodegas in my neighborhood, people buy loosie cigarettes all the time.  In fact, I don't think I've ever seen someone buy a pack of cigarettes in my neighborhood.  That just goes to how capricious the law is in NYC.  We let a lot of stuff slide, like the basic non-enforcement of traffic law.  But, when a black person does something in front of these angry, racist redneck cops, look out.  We need to look at teaching the police force to treat our citizens as human beings and not their gladiatorial opponents. 

And, by the way, there's a good reason to ban loosie cigarettes.  It's a great preventative measure against smoking among poor folk.  A poor person isn't going to spend $13 for a pack of cigarettes.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 11:41:11 PM »

Previous arrest is not evidence though. You can't just arrest somebody for something you have zero evidence for just because they were previously arrested for doing that thing. He has every right to resist. Plus, if you watch the video, Garner's "resistance" basically amounts to him waving his arms around before the guy grabs him from behind and puts him on the ground. Obviously this technically led to his death because it has a link in the chain of events that ended with him dying...but you could say the same thing about him leaving his house in the morning getting out of bed. The point is that he was in no way at fault for his death.

Well, that's an interesting proposition.  You can resist arrest as long as you think you're innocent?  That would be a strange world.  In reality, if a police officer sees you break the law, they can arrest you.  They can arrest you for putting your feet up on the subway or riding a bicycle without a bell.  As I understand it, they saw him commit the crime so it was 100% a legal arrest.  But, I agree with you that the fault here lies with the NYPD.  The boys didn't need to get all Ultimate Fighting Championship on that guy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies