California looking to over regulate another industry out of the state (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:12:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  California looking to over regulate another industry out of the state (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California looking to over regulate another industry out of the state  (Read 1695 times)
Mint
YaBB God
« on: August 27, 2010, 04:20:35 AM »

How's this any different from a seatbelt law?

And Dead, you can't extrapolate an anecdote like this.  Very,  very few people are willing to travel an extra two to six hours to ski somewhere where you don't have to wear helmets. 

The difference is that with seatbelts, you're not just endangering yourself if you don't wear one you're also threatening other's safety since you could be flung out into incoming traffic.

Now personally I'm skeptical about how effective helmet laws actually are, but I don't oppose this on principle. Certainly not if they actually do save money.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 09:16:04 PM »

Do you really think the danger of you being flung out into incoming traffic is the driving motivation & justification for seatbelts?  Why not allow people to not wear them in the backseat then?

I'm not saying that at all, just that you could make an argument for seat belt laws that doesn't involve minimizing/avoiding unnecessary medical costs.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies