Democratic Presidential Primaries in Southern States (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:23:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Democratic Presidential Primaries in Southern States (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democratic Presidential Primaries in Southern States  (Read 6900 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: April 24, 2014, 11:39:25 AM »

Doesn't look like Wolfe won a district. I don't know the relative votes of the counties, but the fact the counties appear to be fairly evenly mixed throughout the state, combined with Obama's reasonably high percentage margin statewide, makes it unlikely. I think AR-04 was probably closest.

Oooooh, he did...
I've found a site that provides the data for congressional districts:

1st CD:  50.68% for Wolfe
2nd CD: 77.09% for Obama
3rd CD:  78.50% for Obama
4th CD:  50.58% for Obama

It seems like AR-01 was the only congressional district nation-wide that Obama lost against a real person.

That's surprising. I would have thought at least one of either the 1st or the 4th would have blacks as a large enough proportion of the Democratic primary electorate to give Obama a clear victory.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:00:05 PM »

That's surprising. I would have thought at least one of either the 1st or the 4th would have blacks as a large enough proportion of the Democratic primary electorate to give Obama a clear victory.

On the face of it, those both results may seem strange.
However, if you figure out that the African American strongholds lie only in the Southern halves of either congressional district and that the Southern Arkansas counties are only sparsely peopled, the results become more plausible. Furthermore, there are only six counties which are majority black.

When you consider that someplace like Dallas Co has a black pop >40%, it just shows how many of the whites, who voted not just for McCain and Romney but also for Bush by what looks like 3-1 in 2004, are still voting in the Democratic primaries.  The combed strength of Democrats both black and white draw even more people to the D primaries because that's where the action is. In the Northwest, the Republicans are stronger so I suppose those voting in the D primary are more likely to identify with the national party.

Thanks for the maps.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies