BRTD's opinion of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 07:56:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  BRTD's opinion of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BRTD's opinion of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal?  (Read 1334 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: June 03, 2012, 01:33:17 PM »

It's kind of like those liberal Catholic groups that pop up every now and then to make a fuss about how they don't endorse pedophilia or the Pope's positions on women, contraceptions and gays, that's all fine and all, but no one is forcing you to stay in the organization run by these people. Though they seem to be actually backed by the hierarchy, which means I can't endorse them, even though I'd rather attend one of their Masses than a standard one.

Mostly I couldn't ever be OK going to any church that doesn't ordain women, it's just so un-scene and entirely in contradiction of all the values that I dedicated myself to at my first show.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 09:53:31 PM »

... Catholics who oppose pedophilia "pop up every now and then"  ?

I'm referring moreso to organized groups and whatnot to say that. Here's an example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_the_Faithful

In this case I suppose it's a bit more justifiable, though obviously we don't need any organizations to tell us that most Catholics don't support pedophilia. But ones that go on campaigning over things like reproductive rights (like the recent backlash the birth control mandate deal) and gay rights are pretty pointless, it's pretty obvious the Catholic hierarchy isn't going to listen. This is akin to being a Republican who protests the far right's takeover but still votes Republican always and donates to them. The only way to truly protest the Catholic church is to vote with your feet (and wallet). Quit going and quit donating. The Catholic church is not a democratic organization and can't be changed through democratic means or grassroots activism, which really is fine because it's an entirely voluntarily organization of association. If you don't like what it preaches, quit going, just as a liberal in the Southern Baptist Convention likely will, or conservative fundie-leaning types brought up in a more liberal mainline denomination leave all the time.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 01:26:20 PM »

There's a classic example of taking things out of context. I was referring to egalitarianism toward women. To attend a church that doesn't treat women as equals and allow them to hold all positions open to men to me would be like going to a venue that refused to book women or denied them admission. It TOTALLY contradicts all the values of my scene, which is not just the music I listen to. When I was 16 it became my effective reason for being in my lifestyle. It is the basis of my politics as well and my values. Just as I made new by Jesus Christ, 12 years ago I was made new by the scene. There is an essential system of values and morals attached to this that I'm not going to contradict. So yes, egalitarianism vs. complentarianism is a deal breaker litmus test issue for me. I can't say I can blame my mom for mostly feeling the same way, being a woman and all too...BTW a woman preached at and led the service I was just at a few hours ago, something that I know didn't happen in any Catholic church.

But as for the peripheral point:
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies