Rep. Rush kicked off the House floor for wearing a hoodie
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 01:23:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rep. Rush kicked off the House floor for wearing a hoodie
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rep. Rush kicked off the House floor for wearing a hoodie  (Read 780 times)
redcommander
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2012, 04:28:02 PM »

http://realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/03/28/dem_thrown_off_house_floor_for_wearing_hoodie.html

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 04:44:26 PM »

I wish my congressman didn't feel the need to be a jackass 100% of the time.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 04:45:16 PM »

This was a dumb move...
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 04:48:41 PM »

No hats on the House floor.  Don't be an ass and violate the rule.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 04:57:25 PM »

No hats on the House floor.  Don't be an ass and violate the rule.

Can't Frederica Wilson wear them?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 05:02:23 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2012, 05:08:06 PM by Joe Republic »

A little ironic, given the original reason (I assume) for the ban on wearing hoods on the House floor...*

Oh, and six state senators in NY already did this: http://www.greenwichtime.com/news/article/6-NY-lawmakers-wear-hoodies-in-honor-of-Fla-teen-3434913.php

* Edit: Okay, after a little research, that's not really the reason.  But it'd be fun to think it was.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 05:10:39 PM »

Really? We kick a Representative off the floor for something like this? Thank god we have such important rules to protect the dignity of the House. Roll Eyes
Kung Fu Kenny
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 05:57:01 PM »

>Implying wearing a hood on the floor of Congress is the worst atrocity ever to occur in the building Roll Eyes
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 06:03:38 PM »

Really? We kick a Representative off the floor for something like this? Thank god we have such important rules to protect the dignity of the House. Roll Eyes

Interesting, because after he beat the living crap out of Sen. Charles Sumner (R -MA), Rep. Preston Brooks wasn't expelled or even censored for his actions but was instead enthusiastically re-elected to his South Carolina district.

Imagine the reaction if a black congressman did the same thing to a conservative white Republican officeholder.  Being expelled from Congress would be the least of his concerns.  
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 06:16:27 PM »

If they don't know how to dress accordingly they shouldn't be congressmen in thefirst place. He can come back to the floor in a suit.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 06:21:44 PM »

If they don't know how to dress accordingly they shouldn't be congressmen in thefirst place. He can come back to the floor in a suit.

Uh, you do know why he did this, right?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 06:23:07 PM »

He was making a statement, it was excessive to throw him off the House floor, but clearly the leadership was making a statement of it's own. This is exactly why government is a mess, overreaction over nothing and no reaction over real problems.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 06:38:11 PM »

Yes, it's a great tragedy. Things should be done to keep something like it from happening again. It's still an unprofessional and dumb way to make a point on the congressional floor and if anything it obviously is just taking attention from the main issue. So he should go and put on his suit and then come back to the floor.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 07:04:16 PM »

Yes, it's a great tragedy. Things should be done to keep something like it from happening again. It's still an unprofessional and dumb way to make a point on the congressional floor and if anything it obviously is just taking attention from the main issue. So he should go and put on his suit and then come back to the floor.

To preface my coming tirade, I don't mean to go off on you. You just hit one of my buzz-words and triggered an inevitable foam at the mouth moment for me. I'm so effing sick of "professional" bull. I find the entire concept detestable. It's an excuse to dismiss somebody we disagree with. There is absolutely no real need for acting "professional". Look at people like Steve Jobs who wear sneakers and jeans for the absolute most important of corporate events. Nobody dismisses what he had to say because of the way he effing dressed because we liked what he had to say. The whole concept is a made up excuse for looking down on people. I find it repulsive and lazy. There was absolutely nothing unprofessional with what he did. The fact that rules like how to dress are newsworthy is embarrassingly irrelevant. It's a way to detract from actual issues that we find uncomfortable. There was absolutely no harm done by his actions, it was a pointless clerical formality that has no purpose whatsoever.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 08:27:28 PM »

Move to suspend the rules, and if adopted, put on the hoodie. 

Duh!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »

There was absolutely nothing unprofessional with what he did.

Dude took the House floor and started quoting the Bible. This isn't Saudi Arabia. That was totally unprofessional.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies