Should Polygamy be illegal? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:21:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Polygamy be illegal? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Polygamy be illegal?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Should Polygamy be illegal?  (Read 7190 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: July 26, 2007, 01:12:01 AM »

This is a difficult one. Polygamy opens up all sorts of legal issues relating to marriage/civil benefits, which are typically designed with a single partner in mind. Insofar as it hopelessly complicates the marital system, polygamy is a bad idea.

From a purely social point of view, polygamy would on the surface seem to be acceptable, but I would worry that it might come to have similar effects to polygamy in Muslim nations, where a relatively small group of wealthy men is able to monopolize the female population, creating a great deal of aggression among unmarried poor men. I think it is clear that even in a theoretically equal-opportunity system of legal polygamy, you'd get a lot more two (or more) women-one man groups than two (or more) men-one woman groups.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 11:50:20 PM »

What's so wrong with a Polygynyous (One man-Several Wives), Polyandrous (One Woman-Several Husbands) or even heck, Polyamorous Polygamy (Several people of different sexes) relationship?
Many I wasn't clear before when I said Man + Woman I meant 1 Man + 1 Woman = Marriage.  Therefore, I would not consider these to be marriage.  However, I must argue that it is inconsistent that if you break that formula and ideal for gays, you do not extend the same right for those people.  That is why I draw the line at the 1+1 ideal.

What you haven't made clear is why exactly 1 Man + 1 Woman should equal Marriage precisely. Unless of course you are a devotee to the Hallmark\Disney version of history\religion....

My reasoning is personal to an extent that I believe marriage should be that, but it is also to the extent of closing the door.  Most people do not want polygamy, but I think if gay marriage is allowed the next wrung on the ladder of progression is polygamy.  It is a slippery slope I do not wish to go down.

"I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman because I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman."

Listen to your arguments before typing them.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 11:53:38 AM »

What's so wrong with a Polygynyous (One man-Several Wives), Polyandrous (One Woman-Several Husbands) or even heck, Polyamorous Polygamy (Several people of different sexes) relationship?
Many I wasn't clear before when I said Man + Woman I meant 1 Man + 1 Woman = Marriage.  Therefore, I would not consider these to be marriage.  However, I must argue that it is inconsistent that if you break that formula and ideal for gays, you do not extend the same right for those people.  That is why I draw the line at the 1+1 ideal.

What you haven't made clear is why exactly 1 Man + 1 Woman should equal Marriage precisely. Unless of course you are a devotee to the Hallmark\Disney version of history\religion....

My reasoning is personal to an extent that I believe marriage should be that, but it is also to the extent of closing the door.  Most people do not want polygamy, but I think if gay marriage is allowed the next wrung on the ladder of progression is polygamy.  It is a slippery slope I do not wish to go down.

"I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman because I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman."

Listen to your arguments before typing them.
Just because you don't like my argument does not make it wrong.  Certain beliefs, and for this issue on both sides, are nothing but personal ideals.

You're not making an argument. You're not providing any premises on which to base your conclusion, you're just stating your conclusion over and over again and plugging your ears.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies