South Carolina's last district
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:26:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  South Carolina's last district
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: South Carolina's last district  (Read 1101 times)
throatcutter
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2012, 06:30:23 PM »

Has SC's last congressional district (and thus its last two delegates) already been officially allocated to Romney?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 01:17:21 AM »

No.  South Carolina has a bad tendency to split precincts when drawing its districts so that they can get the supposed populations in them exactly equal.  The readily available data by precinct simply leaves it too close to call for sure, tho Romney appears the likely winner. According to the Huffington Post, the state GOP says it won't be saying who gets the delegates for another six to nine days.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 01:19:59 AM »

Yeah, I tried to calculate the CD results the best that I could and came up with this:

But, there were a number of precincts (maybe 50 statewide?) that were split between CDs, so I allocated them to whichever district had more of the precinct. Works really well for about 2/3 of them, but some were split pretty evenly.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 01:02:14 PM »

Yeah, I tried to calculate the CD results the best that I could and came up with this:

But, there were a number of precincts (maybe 50 statewide?) that were split between CDs, so I allocated them to whichever district had more of the precinct. Works really well for about 2/3 of them, but some were split pretty evenly.

Why don't you just do a pro-rata allocation based on the relative population of a precinct in each CD?  Heck if you use the DRA to see if a split precinct seems to be variegated somehow demographically - you know nice houses in parts of it, and apartments in the other.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 01:46:21 PM »

No.  South Carolina has a bad tendency to split precincts when drawing its districts so that they can get the supposed populations in them exactly equal.  The readily available data by precinct simply leaves it too close to call for sure, tho Romney appears the likely winner. According to the Huffington Post, the state GOP says it won't be saying who gets the delegates for another six to nine days.

How does that even work when it comes to a house race (or, for that matter, this primary)?  They have to look up your address and give you the correct ballot?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 08:08:51 PM »

No.  South Carolina has a bad tendency to split precincts when drawing its districts so that they can get the supposed populations in them exactly equal.  The readily available data by precinct simply leaves it too close to call for sure, tho Romney appears the likely winner. According to the Huffington Post, the state GOP says it won't be saying who gets the delegates for another six to nine days.

How does that even work when it comes to a house race (or, for that matter, this primary)?  They have to look up your address and give you the correct ballot?

Pretty much except they do it ahead of time.

The voter rolls used at the precincts list beside your name which Congressional district (and state Senate, state House, county council, town council, and school board districts as well) so yes, if you are in a split precinct, they will check that list and use that to give you the right ballot.  They also will prominently post a map showing the district lines so you can check on that.  Sometimes they have had at least four different ballots at my precinct because it has been split differently for two different types of seats and the splits overlapped.

It's somewhat easier with the electronic balloting machines as the pollworker can call up the right ballot on any of the machines.  One time back in the 90's I was voting at a precinct that was using the old lever machines, and they had to set up three different pairs of machines for the three different ballots, with lines of people waiting to use two of the types and no line for the third as there were only a few people who had that combination.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies