The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 09:24:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 299831 times)
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1400 on: April 14, 2011, 09:05:30 PM »

The Band's awesome, I like it
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #1401 on: April 15, 2011, 06:24:22 AM »

Well looks like everyone has had input, lets put this to a vote (Ha! Beat Yelnoc to it Cheesy)

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1402 on: April 15, 2011, 07:39:59 AM »

WTG, Taft. 

Abstain.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1403 on: April 15, 2011, 04:02:41 PM »

I vote Aye!
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1404 on: April 15, 2011, 06:20:42 PM »

Aye
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1405 on: April 15, 2011, 07:29:55 PM »

2 ayes an 1 abstain is a pass...

There's no legislation in the pipeline.  I don't have any axes left to grind put if anyone else has an agenda, by all means put it forth.  I'll bring it up again; Sanchez, you had quite a comprehensive platform in the last election.  Do you want to try and put any of that into legislation?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1406 on: April 16, 2011, 01:19:21 AM »

Is that an official certification of the vote? Tongue Anyway...

On the Commemoration of Levon Helm Act: by the powers vested in me as Emperor of this region, I thus sign it into law.

Be it resolved, X Emperor PiT
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1407 on: April 16, 2011, 09:48:17 AM »

Sanchez, you had quite a comprehensive platform in the last election.  Do you want to try and put any of that into legislation?

Nope Tongue

Yeah, I have been reading up on the laws to see which is done and which is not though.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1408 on: April 16, 2011, 10:20:43 AM »

Is that an official certification of the vote? Tongue Anyway...

On the Commemoration of Levon Helm Act: by the powers vested in me as Emperor of this region, I thus sign it into law.

Be it resolved, X Emperor PiT
Is the Speaker or the Viceroy suppose to introduce and certify bills?  That would seem to logically fall within my jurisdiction but I have a nagging feeling it's not my job (which doesn't make much sense but their's politics for you).

EDIT:
Bah, whatever.  Here's the next bill, Introduced by Darth Sanchez.

I agree with the sentiment but I think it will need some amendments to narrow its scope.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1409 on: April 16, 2011, 10:46:34 AM »

Here are some amendments....

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1410 on: April 16, 2011, 02:19:28 PM »

I added to D the word "Minor". Child killers deserve the penalty of death as well.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1411 on: April 16, 2011, 02:28:48 PM »

I added to D the word "Minor". Child killers deserve the penalty of death as well.

I agree with all of this. This bill has my 110% support
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1412 on: April 16, 2011, 02:57:17 PM »

It would have to wait until next Friday to be put on the ballot.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1413 on: April 16, 2011, 05:11:48 PM »

It would have to wait until next Friday to be put on the ballot.

Good-Hopefully it will pass.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1414 on: April 16, 2011, 09:05:15 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2011, 09:06:52 PM by Emperor PiT »

Anyway, I am strongly opposed to the death penalty myself, & as Emperor I could easily kill it anyway by unilaterally imposing a moratorium on all executions in the region. With that said, if the voters of the region approve this amendment then I will accept their judgment & take no actions to interfere with the application of the death penalty as long as it squares with the law of the region.

As for the bill on the floor, I recommend that you adopt the strategy of just repealing the End To Capital Punishment Amendment with this bill, so as to avoid the difficulty of shoehorning text about the application of the death penalty into the Constitution while simultaneously eliminating the only extant reference to the death penalty in there!

Instead, Yelnoc's amendments should be proposed as amendments to the Re-initiation of the Death Penalty in the Southeast Initiative in the event of the current Constitutional amendment passing. The text of that law relates pretty closely to his amendments, & the extant law could definitely be improved upon.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1415 on: April 16, 2011, 10:03:47 PM »

Anyway, I am strongly opposed to the death penalty myself, & as Emperor I could easily kill it anyway by unilaterally imposing a moratorium on all executions in the region. With that said, if the voters of the region approve this amendment then I will accept their judgment & take no actions to interfere with the application of the death penalty as long as it squares with the law of the region.

Thank you for that.  A deadlock between the two branches of government is never fun.

Like this?

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1416 on: April 16, 2011, 10:41:40 PM »

Initiative 101 failed. Tongue I'm talking about Initiative 229: "End To Capital Punishment Amendment".

As for the amendments to Initiative 165: "Re-initiation of the Death Penalty in the Southeast Initiative", some of the items are already covered & some are not. I'd probably need to write a bill dealing with it, though I'm sort of busy this weekend.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1417 on: April 16, 2011, 10:47:41 PM »

Initiative 101 failed. Tongue I'm talking about Initiative 229: "End To Capital Punishment Amendment".

As for the amendments to Initiative 165: "Re-initiation of the Death Penalty in the Southeast Initiative", some of the items are already covered & some are not. I'd probably need to write a bill dealing with it, though I'm sort of busy this weekend.
That's fine, so am I.  Maybe one of the junior legislators want to tackle this one?  The only way to learn is through one's mistakes but one cannot make mistakes if one never tries.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #1418 on: April 17, 2011, 11:48:13 AM »

I'm somewhat dissapointed by the amendments/legislation up for review, the death penalty is a barbaric and mideval device, which should be put out to pasture. When individuals muder each other it is wrong, is it any more right when it a death is on the hands of the State?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1419 on: April 17, 2011, 12:40:19 PM »

I'm somewhat dissapointed by the amendments/legislation up for review, the death penalty is a barbaric and mideval device, which should be put out to pasture. When individuals muder each other it is wrong, is it any more right when it a death is on the hands of the State?
This kind of question strikes at the heart of one's outlook on life.  You and PiT seem to believe that there can never be a justification for murder.  And that's great, that's your view and I won't try to change that.

I think there are certain instances in which killing is acceptable.  However, I would consider murder a sub-category of killings, something my amendments tried to lay out.  Early-term abortion, medically "pulling the plug" to prevent needless suffering, killing in self-defense, and killing in warfare are all, in my view "justified killings".  Capital punishment, in my view, also fits into that category rather than murder.

Notice who is eligible for capital punishment.  Those who have committed pre-mediated, first degree (or aggravated) murder.  People who have unjustly killed others and who, statistically and based on their past behavior, will kill again.  We could put them in prison for life but there is no reason they won't kill other inmates.  Besides, such treatment places an extra tax burden on the citizens of the IDS and stretches the prison system even thinner.

It is, I believe, the duty of the state to incapacitate said murderers to prevent them from striking again.  It is the responsibility of the state to kill the said murderers to prevent an unfair burden on the prison system and the taxpayers and, don't forget, it is the state's responsibility to see justice is served.  An eye for eye doesn't make the world blind, it only removes cataracts like, say John Wilkes Booth.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1420 on: April 17, 2011, 12:48:18 PM »

People who murder or take someone's virginity and pride should have their life taken.  If you  knew someone who was murdered or raped you would want the same thing
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #1421 on: April 17, 2011, 02:44:13 PM »

I'd respond chronilogically, but tb's is shorter, sorry Yelnoc Sad

People who murder or take someone's virginity and pride should have their life taken.  If you  knew someone who was murdered or raped you would want the same thing
I'd like to think I wouldn't. I'm no christian and personally don't believe in morality as some sort of set in stone thing, but revenge is needless, and serves no purpose. I oppose killing (unless in the case of consented(or desired if its in the will) euthanization) and firmly believe that just because someone is murdered doesn't give anyone the right to take anyone's life away. The maximum any government should be able to do is put them away and try to help them through rehabilitation, maybe it can work, maybe not, but trying to help them make something out of that tradgedy is far more productive than laying them to waste. There's actually some irony in that statement, just thought i'd let you know.

Notice who is eligible for capital punishment.  Those who have committed pre-mediated, first degree (or aggravated) murder.  People who have unjustly killed others and who, statistically and based on their past behavior, will kill again.  We could put them in prison for life but there is no reason they won't kill other inmates.  Besides, such treatment places an extra tax burden on the citizens of the IDS and stretches the prison system even thinner.

It is, I believe, the duty of the state to incapacitate said murderers to prevent them from striking again.  It is the responsibility of the state to kill the said murderers to prevent an unfair burden on the prison system and the taxpayers and, don't forget, it is the state's responsibility to see justice is served.  An eye for eye doesn't make the world blind, it only removes cataracts like, say John Wilkes Booth.

To the first portion, of them killing other inmates, considering that they may be locked up with people who have committed the same crim, would that not also accomplish your goal? Also, if we check the recidivism rates, those for homocide and rape are extremely low for released prisoners (less than 5%) than that of robbery or burglary (over 70%), this leads me to believe that it IS in fact possible to reform these men. One would like to think that economics could  be cast aside in the case of a man's life, but this, I fear, is not possible. Unfortunatly, I actually don't have the answer for that Tongue.

Oh well, it'll pass, but good debate eh?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1422 on: April 17, 2011, 03:49:03 PM »

Notice who is eligible for capital punishment.  Those who have committed pre-mediated, first degree (or aggravated) murder.  People who have unjustly killed others and who, statistically and based on their past behavior, will kill again.  We could put them in prison for life but there is no reason they won't kill other inmates.  Besides, such treatment places an extra tax burden on the citizens of the IDS and stretches the prison system even thinner.

It is, I believe, the duty of the state to incapacitate said murderers to prevent them from striking again.  It is the responsibility of the state to kill the said murderers to prevent an unfair burden on the prison system and the taxpayers and, don't forget, it is the state's responsibility to see justice is served.  An eye for eye doesn't make the world blind, it only removes cataracts like, say John Wilkes Booth.

To the first portion, of them killing other inmates, considering that they may be locked up with people who have committed the same crim, would that not also accomplish your goal? Also, if we check the recidivism rates, those for homocide and rape are extremely low for released prisoners (less than 5%) than that of robbery or burglary (over 70%), this leads me to believe that it IS in fact possible to reform these men. One would like to think that economics could  be cast aside in the case of a man's life, but this, I fear, is not possible. Unfortunatly, I actually don't have the answer for that Tongue.

Oh well, it'll pass, but good debate eh?
One of the big bonuses of Capital Punishment is the method used (lethal injection) is as painless as possible.  One inmate killing another in a jail-yard brawl is certainly not painless.  Viewing prison homicides as a plus would make me rather sadistic, no?

You bring up reform.  Part of the reason for that statistic is that murderers and rapist serve much longer jail sentences.  When they are released, they are often old men.  Even if they want to kill or rape again, they often physically cannot.  Going beyond that, you have to ask, does this man (or woman) deserve a chance at rehabilitation?  Is it worth the resources of the state to try to rehabilitate, say, a serial killer?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1423 on: April 17, 2011, 04:50:37 PM »

Rehabilitation does not help anything, Mr. Viceroy. The offender will get out and do it again 20 times over. And even if you are religious or not, people agree with what I said earlier
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1424 on: April 17, 2011, 05:19:43 PM »

Rehabilitation does not help anything, Mr. Viceroy. The offender will get out and do it again 20 times over. And even if you are religious or not, people agree with what I said earlier

I find the Speaker's explanation a bit more persuasive, if I may say so myself. Tongue

Anyway, I suspect that many rapes & murders are crimes of passion rather than the act of serial offenders. I think we've all heard it said that most rape victims are attacked by people they know. For many murderers & rapists, I suspect that they are crimes of passion that are more indicative of self-control failure than a more general trend towards criminal behavior. Granted, I am fairly certain that that's less true for murder than for rape.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies