The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 09:11:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 299860 times)
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: March 25, 2011, 09:47:03 PM »

Sorry, I'll keep that in mind for the future. The Bill passes and requires the Emperor's signature.

Now, the bill up for debate, which we should all comment on in professional opinions.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1326 on: March 25, 2011, 10:07:17 PM »

On The Freedom to View Classic Network News Act: by the powers vested in me as Emperor of this region, I thus sign it into law.

Be it resolved, X Emperor PiT
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1327 on: March 26, 2011, 10:57:41 AM »

Yeah, unless anything else comes up I'll lay out a bill amending that one in the next few days.

As to the Self-Ownership bill, no one is going to convince me to vote for it.  Sorry.  I assume everyone hear knows what human trafficking is?  Atlanta is one of the largest hubs of human trafficking on the continent.  Adding a new trade, that of the organ trade, will only increase this problem; that piddly little fine won't make a difference.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1328 on: March 26, 2011, 11:58:45 AM »

Yeah, unless anything else comes up I'll lay out a bill amending that one in the next few days.

As to the Self-Ownership bill, no one is going to convince me to vote for it.  Sorry.  I assume everyone hear knows what human trafficking is?  Atlanta is one of the largest hubs of human trafficking on the continent.  Adding a new trade, that of the organ trade, will only increase this problem; that piddly little fine won't make a difference.

I agree with Speaker Yelnoc, Organs should be not be used for money and nothing can ever change that. Your organs should be yours to keep unless someone in your family or friends needs one, but that is a different story
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1329 on: March 26, 2011, 03:15:11 PM »

I agree with Speaker Yelnoc, Organs should be not be used for money and nothing can ever change that. Your organs should be yours to keep unless someone in your family or friends needs one, but that is a different story

If we get down to a matter of should, I think that you should be able to do what you like with your body as long as it does not harm others. I can accept issue being taken with the practical effects of this, though. Wink
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1330 on: March 26, 2011, 06:01:45 PM »

If we get down to a matter of should, I think that you should be able to do what you like with your body as long as it does not harm others. I can accept issue being taken with the practical effects of this, though. Wink
Ideologically stances sound great, but the practical affects should always be the most important concern.  This is a dandy piece of Libertarian Theology (no pun intended) but its real life consequences can not be good.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1331 on: March 26, 2011, 08:02:17 PM »

Ideologically stances sound great, but the practical affects should always be the most important concern.  This is a dandy piece of Libertarian Theology (no pun intended) but its real life consequences can not be good.

I actually didn't expect this to pass or even be proposed at all, but mainly put it forward to bring my list of new bills up to an even five as well as to at least initiate discussion on the matter. The original poster who proposed it included a subtitle to the bill that I did not retain in transcribing it that leads me to suspect that he was not altogether serious in proposing it anyway.

At any rate, what does the sponsor of the bill say? Seeing as how there aren't any bills in the pipeline currently, I don't see any harm in having a vote on the record.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1332 on: March 26, 2011, 09:03:19 PM »

I actually didn't expect this to pass or even be proposed at all, but mainly put it forward to bring my list of new bills up to an even five as well as to at least initiate discussion on the matter. The original poster who proposed it included a subtitle to the bill that I did not retain in transcribing it that leads me to suspect that he was not altogether serious in proposing it anyway.

At any rate, what does the sponsor of the bill say? Seeing as how there aren't any bills in the pipeline currently, I don't see any harm in having a vote on the record.
Out of curiosity, who proposed the original bill?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1333 on: March 26, 2011, 09:16:05 PM »

Out of curiosity, who proposed the original bill?

Wormyguy. The post is here.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1334 on: March 27, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »

Self-Ownership Bill

1. All persons are defined as the sole owners of their bodily organs.

2. Any non-minor person who has not been deemed mentally incompetent by a judge shall be allowed to sell their non-essential organs (such as the kidneys, skin, and spleen) to others.

3. Any organ removal surgery must be performed under standard levels of anesthesia and cleanliness by a licensed surgeon.

4. The surgeon must inform the donor of the potential risks of organ removal surgery.

5. All donors must be blood-tested for diseases transmittable through organ donation surgery.

6. A surgeon may, at his or her own discretion, declare a person mentally incompetent for the purposes of selling his or her bodily organs.

7. Unlawfully coercing a person to sell his or her bodily organs shall be a felony punishable by not less than 60 months in prison and/or a fine of not less than $50,000.  Attempting to unlawfully coerce a person to sell his or her bodily organs shall be a felony punishable by not less than 30 months in prison and/or a fine of not less than $25,000.

8. Persons with valid organ donor cards shall be eligible for a $500 yearly tax credit.

Id like to introduce the Self Ownership Bill to the legislature.
I would like to re-introduce this.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1335 on: March 27, 2011, 04:55:23 PM »

It's on the floor currently, so no need for that.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1336 on: March 27, 2011, 05:27:02 PM »

If I'm reading this correctly, we have 2 nay's to an aye in the wings.  Sanchez, would you like to defend your choice in sponsoring this or shall we let it drop?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1337 on: March 27, 2011, 05:30:03 PM »

As I said earlier, letting it drop is a bit pointless when there are no bills waiting to come up. Nothing wrong with putting a vote on the record.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1338 on: March 27, 2011, 05:47:43 PM »

As I said earlier, letting it drop is a bit pointless when there are no bills waiting to come up. Nothing wrong with putting a vote on the record.
I would like to here from Sanchez before we put it to a vote.  Speaking of our most junior legislator, I remember he had quite a campaign platform.  Maybe some of that could serve as our next item of debate?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1339 on: March 27, 2011, 07:16:20 PM »

I support it, and would vote Aye.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1340 on: March 27, 2011, 07:18:27 PM »

Would you like to elaborate on your support for the bill or are we ready to vote?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1341 on: March 28, 2011, 03:16:40 PM »

I believe that a legal protection of a person right to decide what to do with their organs is needed. If the government of the region/Atlasia got so big (which is extremley unlikely), then they cant force citizens to give there organs.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1342 on: March 28, 2011, 03:37:16 PM »

I believe that a legal protection of a person right to decide what to do with their organs is needed. If the government of the region/Atlasia got so big (which is extremley unlikely), then they cant force citizens to give there organs.
Why would a larger government size allow said government to tell its citizens what to do?  China has one of the smallest governments in the world yet exerts many times more control over its populace than, say, the United States, which has a much larger government.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1343 on: March 29, 2011, 06:40:45 PM »

Why would a larger government size allow said government to tell its citizens what to do?  China has one of the smallest governments in the world yet exerts many times more control over its populace than, say, the United States, which has a much larger government.
The Communist beuracracy that is China has one of the LARGEST governments in the world, let alone the most complicated.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #1344 on: March 29, 2011, 07:00:50 PM »

Some of us are tired of seeing no real debate, so it goes to a vote!

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1345 on: March 29, 2011, 07:12:39 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2011, 08:00:15 PM by Imperial Speaker Yelnoc »

Why would a larger government size allow said government to tell its citizens what to do?  China has one of the smallest governments in the world yet exerts many times more control over its populace than, say, the United States, which has a much larger government.
The Communist beuracracy that is China has one of the LARGEST governments in the world, let alone the most complicated.
What?  China has much smaller military spending and no real safety net (meaning no social security/medicaire/medicaide).  That right there is the vast majority of the US budget.  How, then, is it statistically possibly for China's government to be larger?

Oh yeah, Nay.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1346 on: March 29, 2011, 07:25:22 PM »

What?  China has much smaller military spending and no real safety net (meaning no social security/medicaire/medicaide).  That right there is the vast majority of the US budget.  How, then, is it statistically possibly for China's government to be larger?

Oh yeah, Aye.

A Larger government in the general control of its citizens. Its safe to call them Totalitarian.

I vote AYE.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1347 on: March 29, 2011, 08:01:17 PM »

What?  China has much smaller military spending and no real safety net (meaning no social security/medicaire/medicaide).  That right there is the vast majority of the US budget.  How, then, is it statistically possibly for China's government to be larger?

Oh yeah, Aye.

A Larger government in the general control of its citizens. Its safe to call them Totalitarian.

I vote AYE.
Size of government means how large the government is.  It's a straightforward enough metric.  If we were talking of totalitarianism you should have said so Wink
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1348 on: March 30, 2011, 02:13:13 PM »

Nay
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #1349 on: March 30, 2011, 07:50:27 PM »

1 Aye, 2 Nays, Bill fails to pass, sorry Sanchez Sad.

Next up, proposed by Speaker Yelnoc.

Seems alright to me, makes it less complicated for the region overall.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies