Anti-Catholic bigotry seems to be back... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:59:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Anti-Catholic bigotry seems to be back... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anti-Catholic bigotry seems to be back...  (Read 7646 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« on: December 22, 2004, 02:47:15 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4117449.stm

Disgusting. Thinly disguised bigotry masked by a Goddamned wedge issue.
Brilliant.
Just what British politics needs...

They did that with Clarence Thomas.  "He was educated by nuns, so he's anti-abortion and religious nutjob," was the implied attack.

and they were right.

I don't see the problem here, she opposes stem cell research, keep her out.

I also don't see how anti-Catholic bigotry can exist, I think it's natural to have a very low opinion of a church that considers me and all other Protestants to be heretics.

The Church has officially recongnized non-Catholic Christians as true Christians since the Second Vatincan Council.  Its Protestant who think that Catholics are all going to Hell.  You assinine comment just proved the bigotry that still exists in the Protestant community towards the Catholic Church.  If Protestants stuck to the when talking about Catholics, they wouldn't have anything to say.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 09:17:15 PM »

The Church has officially recongnized non-Catholic Christians as true Christians since the Second Vatincan Council.  Its Protestant who think that Catholics are all going to Hell.  You assinine comment just proved the bigotry that still exists in the Protestant community towards the Catholic Church.  If Protestants stuck to the when talking about Catholics, they wouldn't have anything to say.

Ah, my "Protestant" Church has been know to offer prayers for "John Paul II, Bishop of Rome," along with our local (Episcopal) Bishops.  The opinion of Presbyterian Church (in which I was raised) and the Episcopal Church (of which I am a practicing member) is that any baptized Christian may receive Communion (Holy Eucharist, in the Episcopal Church).  That would include Roman Catholics.  

While there are differences in theology, some major, so far as I know, neither Protestant denomination has the official or unofficial position that Roman Catholics are going to Hell.  

The Episcopal Church recognizes Roman Catholic Holy Orders to the extent that a Catholic Confirmation is valid in the Episcopal Church.   Someone confirmed in the Catholic Church that wishes to convert can be "re-affirmed" or "received" into the Episcopal Church, but not "Confirmed," as the Catholic rite is considered valid.  

The Episcopal Church is basically "Catholic Lite" so I know that they don't discriminate, much.  Acctually, there is no cross over process for Episcopal preists converting to Catholism either.

There are several sects of Presbyterianism and dozens of other Calvinist groups that still regard the Pope as being the anti-Christ.  I know, we have that exact problem in my area.

Even if they don't openly discriminate, many Protestant Churches and many Protestants believe all sorts of F-ed up things about Catholics and the Church.

Example, just read what Bono has to say.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 09:25:50 PM »

Common falacies that are believed by just about every Protestant I have ever talked to:

1) Catholics worship Mary.

2) Catholics worship statues.

3) Catholics worship saints.

4) Catholics believe that non-Catholics are doomed to Hell.

5) All Protestants are seen as being "excomunicated" from the Kingdom of God.

6) All priest all pedophiles.

7) The Pope is seen as being illfallable and free of sin.

Cool We worship the Pope.

9) Pope Pius XII was a monster who hated Jews and cooperated with Hitler.

There are many others.  Those are just a handful.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 10:22:04 PM »

Why did my ex-Catholic mom tell me most of those then as well as that all people who use condoms go to hell?

btw, the more conservative Lutheran denominations consider the Pope the Antichrist, although mine doesn't.

Because, as it is often said, a disaffected critic is always the worst.  Offten times, Catholics hear things about their religion from non-Catholics that are not true and never bother to ask.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 10:28:32 PM »

Common falacies that are believed by just about every Protestant I have ever talked to:

Yeah I remember that summer debate with Josh where he kept insisting that southern Catholics pray to saints and you could never tell him he was wrong. What a joke.

My favorite was when some anti-Catholic guy I know made a statement that a majority of priests are pedophiles. You have to look at that statement and laugh (because it's obviously not true) but when I first heard it, I was very angry.

The ones I listed are just the ones that are easily refuted by any Catholic who knows their faith.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 10:30:07 PM »

The funny thing is that, traditionally speaking, the nuns have always had a greater effect on the Catholic community than the priests did, as Catachism teachers were almost always nuns.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 10:33:13 PM »

so how does mom stand in the Church's view. Isn't she an apostate or whatever?

Your mother is certainly disaffected, but certainly not excomunicated.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 10:33:52 PM »

Yeah I remember that summer debate with Josh where he kept insisting that southern Catholics pray to saints and you could never tell him he was wrong. What a joke.

My favorite was when some anti-Catholic guy I know made a statement that a majority of priests are pedophiles. You have to look at that statement and laugh (because it's obviously not true) but when I first heard it, I was very angry.

The ones I listed are just the ones that are easily refuted by any Catholic who knows their faith.

Yeah and it's ashame that not enough people know about the faith.

True dat.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 12:03:20 AM »

What the heck is a "papist", anyway?

All I can think of is my Math 201 tutorial teacher, whose name was Vlad Papish.

It is a term that Protestants use for Catholics.  It is equivilent to the term "ni**er".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies