The 1960 Race (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:16:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  The 1960 Race (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The 1960 Race  (Read 20079 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: December 29, 2003, 08:50:42 AM »

President Kennedy did the best job in office and as we know Nixon didnt because he resigned.

Not until his 2nd term mind you.
They didnt find out untill his second term but his VP before Pres. Ford had resigned well before Nixon resigned.

Yes, but that had nothing to do with Watergate, Spiro Agnew retired b/c of a sex scandal or something like that (I don't remember exactly).
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 04:56:59 PM »

Agnew's problems stemmed from when he was in Maryland politics, not sex.

Ok, then I got it mixed up with someone else. I only read about it once. Still, there was no connection with Watergate.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 10:32:13 AM »

An interesting question is what would have happened if Nixon rather than Kennedy had won the 1960 election.

There were such tumultuous issues that came to the surface in the 1960s, and it's interesting to imagine how they would have been handled by a Republican rather than a Democratic administration.

Civil rights is one major issue.  Nixon was in favor of civil rights advances in 1960, and the Republicans didn't have the burden of needing white southern votes, something that initially made Kennedy hesitant to push too hard on civil rights.  It's interesting to think how the political alignment might be different today if it had fallen to a Republican president to deal with the civil rights situation in the 1960s.

The other big issue is Vietnam.  Nixon probably would have been far more reluctant than the Democrats to intervene in Vietnam in the first place, and if he did, might have used our power more effectively.

This was such a pivotal election at such a tumultuous time, when even slightly different leadership might have produced some very different results.

The civil rights thing is very interesting. Maybe the soild south would have remained in place and the black voters would have been overwhelmingly Republican.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 11:32:20 AM »

zork--As you know I'm a serious poster and I have not been watching these atlas elections much, but now I said I'd help thema nd out recruiting members to come and vote when necessary.  Check it out and support Supersoulty if you would,  Thanks.

Littering the threads, JR, littering the threads.... Wink
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 03:31:31 PM »

just passing out flyers Smiley  Better than the democrats of 1960 if we would like a thread related comparison, in stuffing th edballot boxes in MO, IL and TX!

May I remind you that YOUR primary was the one plagued by accusations of voter fraud! Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies