Regional Office Holding Rights Amendment (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:12:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regional Office Holding Rights Amendment (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Regional Office Holding Rights Amendment (Failed)  (Read 5057 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: September 22, 2008, 05:11:05 AM »

I'm not sure about this. On one level I'm instinctively sympathetic to the idea of letting the people of each region (or whatever) run themselves in anyway that they damn well please. And, yet, I can certainly see the argument that there needs to be safeguards to prevent genuinely undemocratic governments taking power at regional level (though perhaps the solution isn't central control; central government crushing a regional government that it has political differences with has certain deeply unfortunate historical associations to me. Maybe the solution here is to make it possible for citizens of the regions to overthrow a despotic government... although that might make coups easier. Maybe make it possible for the people of a given region to overturn the regional constitution or oust the governer (or whatever) on a majority vote or something. In this way, federal government could guarentee democracy (of one form or other) in the regions without the earlier problem. But that's far from perfect).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 10:14:45 AM »

Nay
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 02:33:33 AM »

Nay