SENATE BILL: Living Wage Act (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:36:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Living Wage Act (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Living Wage Act (Law'd)  (Read 6414 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« on: April 08, 2013, 10:43:56 PM »

I would be willing to support and sign an increase to 11.50, but beyond that I would rather not go, at this point. I agree with Nix that there would be more efficient ways to raise the standard of living than just constantly jacking up the minimum wage.

In an ideal world, I do not believe employers should be solely responsible for raising the standard of living for most Atlasians. I don't take this view outside of this game, of course, because the real-world is much more screwed up, but here in Atlasia, we do things much more sensibly. We provide much more relief for the poor, much more public services for everyone, much more generous retirement and disability pensions. We provide ways to lift the poor in a targetted way that do not place an undue burden on employers; so we raise employment separately from our other efforts to raise the standard of living, raising the standard of living and overall income of Atlasians without lowering hiring. I would rather continue down that route rather than increasing the minimum wage again.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 11:28:29 PM »

Wouldn't this actually lower the minimum wage set by the previous Living Wage Act?

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Right_Wages_for_the_Right_Regions_Act
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 01:14:48 AM »

Would it be a crazy idea, then, to propose an amendment that extends the work week to 35 hours, raises the minimum wage to 11.00 flat, and increases tax rebates for the poor? I feel like that's a very balanced approach that accomplishes what everyone here wants and is reasonably fair to the private sector.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 05:22:42 PM »

I'm sorry, I cannot sign that, with or without the inflation adjustment mechanism. Though, I expect if this passes I won't be able to stop it either way..
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 06:17:57 PM »

Here's what I would be comfortable with, then.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 05:29:49 AM »

We need a strong and mobile wage to ensure that no one who works a full week is ever in poverty.

And we do have policies ensuring that Atlasians do not fall into poverty; with targeted state programs and rebates, not by forcing businesses to pay an unnecessarily high wage as a minimum. Atlasia has one of the most robust welfare states, and one of the fairest systems of taxation, of the first world. It's more important that we have as many people employed as possible to keep expanding the tax base to fund the wide array of state programs we have, rather than raise unemployment by continuously raising the minimum wage on top of all the taxes and welfare programs.

We have a program that pays for family's home energy bills for years, we have dramatically more generous food stamp benefits than in RL, we have a generous public healthcare system, our income tax practically barely taxes people making the minimum wage and the rebates for poor families are huge, our public housing system is dramatically more generous than in RL, Social Security is safe, unions are stronger, and I intend soon to introduce a national daycare system. We are a hop skip and a jump away from a literal cradle-to-grave welfare state. That's good, I'm fine with all of that. But all of that means are less well off are taken very good care of.

Things aren't perfect, but it is more protective of the economy to introduce greater state benefits into our welfare state to take care of the lower class than it is to just force businesses to keep picking up the slack.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 03:35:01 AM »

At this point, I'll sign this damn thing just to get it off the floor. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 10:04:27 PM »

Happy that Napoleon got that important amendment in on time!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »

It's not perfect, it's not necessarily what I would've liked, I wish it could've been more finely tuned, but I will trust that the Atlasian economy can sustain the wage increases and hope it leads to a better standard of living for all.

x Marokai Blue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies