SENATE BILL: Living Wage Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:21:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Living Wage Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Living Wage Act (Law'd)  (Read 6414 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2013, 11:37:10 AM »
« edited: April 14, 2013, 11:38:43 AM by Senator Napoleon »

I really hope the Senators know what they are voting for. We've already learned that people voted in favor of the Right Wages for the Right Regions Act without understanding the law. The federal minimum wage is already $10.50. The actual minimum wage is $12 in every region. By the time 2015 rolls around,  inflation will have surpassed that.

I love Sbane, but this amendment makes zero sense. I'll have to abdicate sponsorship if it passes.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2013, 11:50:21 AM »

I really hope the Senators know what they are voting for. We've already learned that people voted in favor of the Right Wages for the Right Regions Act without understanding the law. The federal minimum wage is already $10.50. The actual minimum wage is $12 in every region. By the time 2015 rolls around,  inflation will have surpassed that.

I love Sbane, but this amendment makes zero sense. I'll have to abdicate sponsorship if it passes.

So what you're saying is that the amendment would essentially kill inflation-adjusted increases?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2013, 11:54:29 AM »

So what you're saying is that the amendment would essentially kill inflation-adjusted increases?

No, I am saying it makes no sense to increase the minimum wage to 10.50 in July. The minimum wage has been 10.50 for over a year. The minimum wage in every region is at least $12, I think the Northeast its $14 or so. This amendment raises the minimum wage to $12.50 in 2015, but with inflation increases, every region will already be higher than that before then.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2013, 11:57:14 AM »

NAY
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2013, 12:18:33 PM »

No, I am saying it makes no sense to increase the minimum wage to 10.50 in July. The minimum wage has been 10.50 for over a year. The minimum wage in every region is at least $12, I think the Northeast its $14 or so. This amendment raises the minimum wage to $12.50 in 2015, but with inflation increases, every region will already be higher than that before then.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying Smiley
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2013, 04:14:18 PM »

NAY
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2013, 06:45:47 PM »

I proposed this because you told me in the committee that the current minimum wage is $9 per hour. If that is not the case, then yes it does not make sense. If it is $9 an hour, then imho my amendment is the right rate to raise the minimum wage.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2013, 06:48:11 PM »

Has some new information come out about the minimum wage that I seem to have missed?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2013, 06:49:58 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2013, 06:55:34 PM by Senator Napoleon »

I proposed this because you told me in the committee that the current minimum wage is $9 per hour. If that is not the case, then yes it does not make sense. If it is $9 an hour, then imho my amendment is the right rate to raise the minimum wage.

Yeah, I must have slipped up in that case. Sad Sorry about that.

I see what you are trying to do here, is to have the wage increase not be so drastic at once, which is something I tried to do with the original proposal. So I think we are largely aiming at the same goal.

Has some new information come out about the minimum wage that I seem to have missed?

Not new information, but not the misinformation I provided. The Reasonable Minimum Wage Act created a $9 minimum wage, which is what I must have been looking at when I typed that, but that is not consistent with current law.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

So the minimum wage everywhere right now is effectively $12.00, but the federal minimum is $10.50.

Snowstalker and I want to raise the federal minimum to $11.50 and eventually, $12.50. The regions can still have the right wages for their economies, like the Northeast's higher minimum wage.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2013, 06:54:06 PM »

Ok, then I guess I rescind my amendment since the increase in the original bill is consistent with what I would want.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2013, 10:56:15 PM »

Abstain
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2013, 04:50:02 PM »

Nay
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2013, 07:16:19 PM »

I formally retract my amendment, if I can do that?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2013, 01:20:59 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There isn't as much freedom of action on these votes, hence why I sometimes ask before opening them. The best solution is just have people start voting nay until we get to six. We are close if not there already.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2013, 01:24:17 PM »

1-4-2-3 appears to be the current vote.

With Ben, Clarence, sbane (unless I missed it) having not voted. Nix and Hagrid abstained, and jdb/X voted Aye. Nappy, myself, Matt and Snowstalker voted no. Time expires on the nineteenth.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »

Nay
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2013, 11:12:33 PM »

Changing my vote to nay
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2013, 09:42:06 AM »

Vote on Amendment 54:39 by sbane:

Aye (0):
Nay (6): jdb, Matt from VT, Napoleon, NC Yankee, sbane and Snowstalker
Abstain (2): Averroës Nix and HagridoftheDeep

Didn't Vote (2): Ben and Clarence

The amendment has failed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »

Nappy, is it a no go on that potential amendment?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2013, 03:07:41 PM »

Well, others need to give input.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2013, 03:35:01 AM »

At this point, I'll sign this damn thing just to get it off the floor. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2013, 03:42:44 PM »

I am fairly certain that the jump to 11.50 can be sustained, my concern with slowing the implementation centers around a second jump of the stated size occuring quite that soon afterwards. Unlike sbane's amendment, my preferred option would be to leave the first bump up as it is in the text and then either reduce or push back the second one (possibly to April instead of January).

As for the automatic increase, the best I can offer is the suggestion I made a page or two back about possibly altering the formula and so forth.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2013, 09:07:33 AM »

I will introduce a final amendment sometime today.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2013, 06:26:28 PM »

Thursday seems to have gotten much longer than I remember it being back in the day. Wink
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2013, 07:48:49 PM »

At this point, I'll sign this damn thing just to get it off the floor. Tongue

Hooray!

If Nap's amendment isn't in by Monday, I'd like to move into final voting procedures.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies