What it would take for me to vote Democrat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 11:13:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What it would take for me to vote Democrat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What it would take for me to vote Democrat  (Read 2681 times)
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2005, 09:27:37 AM »

I support the minimum wage (paying people a living wage reduces dependency on welfare)
No.  More unemployment is created, and cost of living goes up.  I will not vote for a party that keeps raising the cost of living.

I support tax cuts for those who need them and not those who don't
Everyone needs them.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2005, 10:40:16 AM »

People need lower health insurance costs, gas prices, and increased wages much more than they need another tax cut.

What good is a small tax cut if the prices of these essential items keep skyrocketing and wage growth is stagnant?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2005, 10:45:06 AM »

People need lower health insurance costs
Moot issue with me.  If all the fatties would just stop eating McD and start exercising, say, running hard for 1 hour every morning before going to work, then you wouldn't really need health insurance.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I want lower gas prices, yes, but Democrats like Kerry wants to slap a 50c per liter levy on gas.  Not cool!!!

So work harder.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2005, 10:55:08 AM »

The Republicans under the Bush adminstration increased discretionary spending at the fastest rate in about 40 years. You're a fool if you believe the Republicans when they say they're against big government.

Jfern, this isn't an attack on you or anything, but you might want to read what you're responding to.

TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2005, 10:58:13 AM »

Moot issue with me.  If all the fatties would just stop eating McD and start exercising, say, running hard for 1 hour every morning before going to work, then you wouldn't really need health insurance.

Extremely healthy people get diseases all the time. Everyone needs health insurance. Your assertion that getting sick/ill/injured is only the person's own fault is ludicrous.

I want lower gas prices, yes, but Democrats like Kerry wants to slap a 50c per liter levy on gas.  Not cool!!!

No he doesn't.

One of my favorite Republican answers. Production is up in this country, yet wage growth is stagnant. Your reasoning is naive and out of date. The amount you are paid has little to do with how hard you work. I think you know that, but it falls outside your idealogy.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2005, 11:02:22 AM »
« Edited: June 06, 2005, 11:40:53 AM by Bono »

[

2. Clinton reduced federal spending and the size of the federal government.  Bush increased both (even if you count only non-millitary positions).  'Nuff said.

What?
I don't recall any president reducing the size of the federal government since Eisenhoer.

Do you plan on telling your future students that crap?
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2005, 02:13:23 PM »

[

2. Clinton reduced federal spending and the size of the federal government.  Bush increased both (even if you count only non-millitary positions).  'Nuff said.

What?
I don't recall any president reducing the size of the federal government since Eisenhoer.

Do you plan on telling your future students that crap?

Congressional Budget office.

Very well, I stand (slightly) corrected.   The size of the federal government decreased the first six years of his presidency.  A large increase in the department of commerice the last two years increased total federal employment to a point slightly higher than 1993 levels in 2000.

And I plan on teaching algebra and encouraging critical thinking skills (which seem to be in short supply these days).
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2005, 04:00:26 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2005, 11:30:25 AM by Mort from NewYawk »

Simple.

When Democratic leadership arises that has studied and takes to heart the passions of the great pre-Vietnam Democratic Presidents, I will again vote Democratic.

Read the following, and tell me which candidate in 2004 was closer in foreign policy to most of our twentieth century Democratic presidents:

WILSON (Second Inaugural)

We are provincials no longer. The tragic events of the thirty months of vital turmoil through which we have just passed have made us citizens of the world. There can be no turning back. Our own fortunes as a nation are involved whether we would have it so or not.

And yet we are not the less Americans on that account. We shall be the more American if we but remain true to the principles in which we have been bred. They are not the principles of a province or of a single continent. We have known and boasted all along that they were the principles of a liberated mankind.

FDR  (1942 State of the Union)

We are fighting, as our fathers have fought, to uphold the doctrine that all men are equal in the sight of God. Those on the other side are fighting to destroy this deep belief and to create a world in their own image-a world of tyranny and cruelty and serfdom.

That is the conflict that day and night now pervades our lives. No compromise can end that conflict. There never has been-there never can be-successful compromise between good and evil. Only total victory can reward the champions of tolerance and decency and freedom and faith.....

Our own objectives are clear: the objective of smashing the militarism imposed by warlords upon their enslaved peoples-the objective of liberating the subjugated nations-the objective of establishing and securing freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom from want, and freedom from fear everywhere in the world.

TRUMAN (Inaugural)

Events have brought our American democracy to new influence and new responsibilities.
They will test our courage, our devotion to duty, and our concept of liberty.
Slowly but surely we are weaving a world fabric of international security and growing prosperity.
In due time, as our stability becomes manifest, as more and more nations come to know the benefits of democracy and to participate in growing abundance, I believe that those countries which now oppose us will abandon their delusions and join with the free nations of the world in a just settlement of international differences.

We are aided by all who wish to live in freedom from fear--even by those who live today in fear under their own governments.
We are aided by all who want relief from lies and propaganda--those who desire truth and sincerity.
We are aided by all who desire self-government and a voice in deciding their own affairs.
We are aided by all who long for economic security--for the security and abundance that men in free societies can enjoy.
We are aided by all who desire freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and freedom to live their own lives for useful ends.

Steadfast in our faith in the Almighty, we will advance toward a world where man's freedom is secure.
To that end we will devote our strength, our resources, and our firmness of resolve. With God's help, the future of mankind will be assured in a world of justice, harmony, and peace.

JFK (Inaugural)

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2005, 06:34:28 PM »

Those above $200,000 a year need a massive tax hike...quote]

Yes!!  Couldn't agree more jfern.

Well stated!  Calling something 'traditional' should be an aspersion, not an approbation.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies